What's new

What will be the biggest flop of 2004? (1 Viewer)

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
I also think Hellboy will tank, but it will do better than Catwoman. Hellboy may have the minute universe of comic book fans of that particular comic salivating, but it has ZERO appeal to a broader audience.

And for those who will retort that Blade is the same kind of movie from the same kind of comic book, the crucial difference is that Blade had vampires, and there is something of a built-in wider audience for vampire movies, even if they have no familiarity with the source material.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Define "flop". If it means a film that takes in substantially less (at the box office, on home video, in sales to broadcast outlets) than it costs to make and market, then the likely candidates are probably films no one is talking about.

How many people were aware of Pluto Nash, Little Nicky or Town and Country in January of their release years?

M.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Of course, good movies often flop at the box office (witness The Iron Giant and Peter Pan), so...

:frowning: I hope not. I think it looks wonderful and I can't wait to see it. It might well be bad, and flop, but it could "flop" even if it's good.

I don't have a guess for this thread, but I'm also looking forward to Hellboy. I agree that it might not do well at the box office. The previews are awful.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
The trailer for Hellboy left me unimpressed as well. I'm not all that familiar with the character but based on the fact that I like Ron Perlman and have been impressed with Del Toro's previous outings i'll be giving it a shot. The premise of the character seems interesting enough (at least in terms of comic-book films).

From the production stills of Berry in her Catwoman costume it looks like it could be a disaster. I laughed when I saw her in costume, usually not a good sign as I am obviously not alone. Does anyone know the budget for this flick? It could open relatively well and if it has a meager budget it could easily make it back and therefore couldn't really be considered a flop.

James T

Screenwriter
I don't want to judge Catwoman based on the photos. There was outrage when the X-men costumes were leaked onto the internet years back and the movie turned out to be a success. And Superman 2 had probelms behind the camera and it didn't hurt that movie much.

With that said, I think King Arthur will do poorly at the box office and get horrible reviews.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I don't think Catwoman will really do horribly, if it's marketed right. I'm expecting to make around $70 million based on the sex appeal but if the ridiculous nature of the first photos are presented in WB's campaign, they'll have a flop.

Hellboy isn't really looking too hot IMHO. I've heard some wonderful things, but the previews do look ridiculous. The trailer seems to be treated with seriousness, but when you're looking at a guy that looks like a character from a child's tv show, something's wrong. Still, I'm hoping that it'll be successful.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Catwoman... I feel embarrassed for Halle Berry after seeing her front and backside in this week's EW :b. The movie completely tosses all established continuity (comic books, movie, tv shows, or otherwise) out the window.

Who does WB think is going to see this movie? Oversexed brain-dead teenage horndogs with nothing else to do?!?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

Yes!

I predict the following movies will not recoup their cost through domestic box office:
1. Catwoman
2. Garfield
3. Mask 2
4. Against The Ropes (saw a test trailer for this almost a year ago)
5. Dirty Dancing 2

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I think the actual footage looks good, but the editing of the trailer is bad because it portrays the concept in the least interesting manner possible, making it look like Men In Black 3 and MIB isn't cool nowadays. Too much focus on the Bureau and the whole ensemble and not enough on the fact that the main character is this guy who's a demon and beats up monsters for a living but has the attitude of regular blue-collar stiff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks