What's new

Help get Star Trek: The Animated Series on dvd... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Over at www.tvshowsondvd.com they have a story and link about a contest for some Trek Animated discs. But, they are also asking if people want the Animated show to come to dvd. They give an email address for you to send the request. Hopefully, if enough people do it. We can finally get this forgotten Trek series.

Here is what David wrote:

The official Star Trek website, StarTrek.com is holding a contest that allows fans to try to win 5 character-shaped "Windows"-based CD-ROMs that portray Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, and Sulu...in their Star Trek: The Animated Series forms. Contents of the discs include Wallpapers, Animated screensaver, AIM icons, Show history, and an interview with Executive Story Editor Dorothy (D.C.) Fontana. Coolio. But that's not the news we're here for!

At the bottom of that web page it says this:

Would you like to see the Animated Adventures on DVD? Let us know at [email protected].

I know that I am sending some e-mail tonight about this, and I encourage everyone else to do so as well. It is highly important to take a minute and send this message to Paramount, because their previous indications are that they have no plans for releasing this on DVD, despite a previous release on LaserDisc many years ago.

Please make your e-mails polite, and please limit them to one per interested customer. We do not want the website or the studio to consider this "invalid" because it looks like a small group of bad apples tried to stack the deck! But we know that there are a lot of interested fans out there, because this is one of the most-requested series here at TVShowsOnDVD!

Our thanks to a person who calls themselves "Damage" over at the DVDTalk discussion forum, for posting there about this.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Make sure the subject is "ATTN:ANIMATED_DVD", which the link in my news item automatically does but the link here at HTF was not set up to do. It will help them sort their incoming e-mail.

I believe I'll go edit that news item real quick and work that in.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Is there really any reason why Paramount would NOT release this on DVD? They know that all things Star Trek are popular, so it's only a matter of time until they release this (probably after Voyager and the box sets of TOS). Unless I'm not aware of some rights issue that is complicating the release of this set. I don't recall this show having a lot of pop music in it. :)

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I just emailed Paramount and have also emailed several friends to have them do the same...so here's hoping. :)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

For some reason I don't pretend to understand, TAS has always been the "bastard step-child" of Trek. Why? Not sure. Sure there were some hokey stories (this IS Trek we're talking about) but there were some real gems too.

Personally, I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

Message sent! :D

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

The current producers of Trek are, frankly, embarrassed this series exists at all. Rick Berman has done his utmost best to distance the modern Treks from the animated series as much as possible (although several writers have made efforts to refer to it on occasion, most notably Ron Moore and Mike Sussman).

The current "Trek management" isn't really interested in revisiting the past (unless they produce it -see Enterprise). Nowadays, the production values on this series would be considered "subpar" compared with the work of modern cartoons. That's really the issue here. It's sort of difficult to ignore the original Star Trek, since that's the one that started it all. The animated series is much easier to ignore, and has been for the past 16 years.

De

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
You guys are gonna think I'm crazy, But I wouldn't mind if they revamped the animation "Final Fantasy" style and redid the music! Some of the stories were pretty good, but it was always animation at its cheapest. They would often go for extreme close-ups or over the shoulder shots so you couldn't see the mouth of the character that was talking, that way they didn't have to animate it! They would also re-use the same shots until it git tedious.

I know there are those of you who would say "SACRILEDGE!" and accuse me of being the Devil, or George Lucas, but it would be a cool thing to see. I realize that the cost would be prohibitive, maybe they could take 3 or 4 of the best episodes. I'll still buy it in its original form, but its fun to think of what they could do nowadays.

Ric

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Ric,

I have thought the same thing. But, I wanted a new Trek series using the "Final Fantasy" animation. I wanted the show to be a revolving series with different ships and backgrounds. This would allow you to do an episode with the TNG cast that could even be set in the early seasons of the show. I think the TNG cast would do it. They are constantly lending their voices to Trek computer games. Some with as much dialogue as an episode of tv.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Seems the Laserdisc box set didn't sell well at all....

But as a lucky one... My are still in mint condition....

Here's looking for the release.. if ever...

Dugger

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

You are a lucky fellow Chris. The only TAS episodes I own are on tape. BETAMAX tape. Be afraid. :D

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Something you should know: I've tried several times today to send an e-mail to [email protected] (listed above), and each time the e-mail came back to me as undeliverable. I don't know if you've had the same problem with that e-mail address, but I thought you should know anyway.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

How bout a real fanboy's dream? Have the Next Gen meet the 60's version of TOS. They would just need to find a McCoy soundalike :frowning:

Ric

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

It was subpar THEN. Filmation was the king of cheap shortcuts and boy, it showed.

I sent my request for DVDs anyhow. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks