What's new

Any news about MST3K Vol 5? (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
The recent MST3K Vol 4 was great.

I'm anxious for Vol 5 now.

I would love to see Spider Invasion, Time Chasers, Hobgoblins and Riding with Death on the next set
any news?

On the Mike Nelson news, I did hear that after his commentary on Refer Madness, that he will be doing one for a new Carnival of the Souls DVD,

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
WOW! commentary thats interesting.

I hope they decide to keep the Mike Nelson intros on the future sets.

Something tells me, we might see Laserblast on this set:)

MarkBurton

Second Unit
I would hope for The Gunslinger or Shorts 3, as they are the only VHS title not put out on DVD.

Unless you count the Amazing Colossial Man, which I doubt we'll ever see on DVD.

Thomas Hart

Stunt Coordinator
If I had to harbor a guess,

I would say that at least two of the titles would be "Boggy Creek II" and "The Touch of Satan".

Only because a year ago, The MSK3K Info Club had no problem (rights wise) with releasing their own VHS copies of these two titles (plus "The Girl in Gold Boots" and "Hamlet", which are now on Volume 4).

"Gunslinger" and "Shorts 3" would make a nice rounding out of the set, but who knows.

Personally, I'd like one of their discs to be of more rare features and behind the scenes stuff, like these previously released VHS tapes only available through the fan club:

"MST3K: Poopie II"
"The MST3K Scrapbook"
"The Last Dance: Raw" (One hour behind the scenes on "Diabolik")
"Mr. B's Lost Shorts"
and "Assignment Venezuela" (Short done for the abandoned video game)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I bet it will be more of the episodes that have been on the rerun cycle of Sci Fi. Touch of Satan, Invasion of The Neptune Men, Screaming Skull, Final Justice, etc. In other words, no big deal.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I agree with Stephen. Isn't MST3K's contract with Sci-Fi up sometime early this year? Pretty soon, MST3K will leave the airwaves, maybe for good. Then the DVDs will be all we have.

To me, it's always a big deal any time Rhino is able to release a never-before-available-to-own episode onto DVD for the simple reason that it's very tricky to clear the rights to the films they riff on. I will be psyched if at least two of the episodes have never been previously available to own on VHS or DVD. And I'll be even happier if the other two are the episodes that were only previously available on VHS through Best Brains.

All in all, I'm just happy that a Volume 5 is coming... and so soon! Is there any indication of whether or not the single-disc DVD episodes will someday be part of 4-disc boxsets?

Joel C

Screenwriter
I want Riding wth Death, Time Chasers, Puma Man, and Diabolik.

I loooooove Riding with Death. "The rare male camel toe!"

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

maybe there's a way Rhino/MST3K can make empty DVD boxes for the older DVD's.(holding 3-4 DVD's)
charge say, $4-5(Shipping & Handle)

Rick P

Supporting Actor

Were I to make a guess, I think vol.5 will be

"Gunslinger"
"Touch of Satan"
"Boggy Creek II"
Popie II

as far as vol.6+ ??? who knows... I know that many, MANY shows fell out of rights from the SciFi years in the past months and they disappeared forever (including "Parts", "Diabolik", "Devil Fish" and more). And, thanks the last bogus extension to the copyright terms, quite a few movies that were going to fall into the public domain are now out of reach for release....

fortunately, I had a DVD Recorder running for most of the past 18 months and have QUITE a few of the final SciFi shows safely on disc... and have started working forward from some original, offair tapes for the rest... 140 discs from now, I'll be done... however I'll HAPPILY shread any that are offically released (as per the Best Brains unwritten agreement with the fans on not doing anything with anything that is commercially available from the Info Club and/or Rhino, ie. "Keep Circulating the Tapes").

IIRC, there are still a bunch of potential releases available from the CC years that are PD.. so I have hopes for some more of the early shows.. but the SFC years will be slim after vol.5 I fear...

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I saw a website somewhere in which you can buy nearly every episode of the show (including several from their days at the MN public access station) on DVD, individually or in season sets from some guy who makes them. He purposely does not sell any that have been released to VHS or DVD.

I almost bought one disc just to test out the quality. "Gamera vs. Guiron" was the funniest episode I can remember and it will probably not see an authentic DVD release ever, so I'm tempted.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

I'll agree there!
a very funny episode.
just love it when Kenny(isn't it?) and the goofy asian man interact, then the robots start singing that song over the original movies' song.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
John - My personal favorite part is when the guy jumps on the dirtbike and takes off. Tom says something to the effect of, "It's Rex Dart: Eskimo Spy!" :D

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
My favorite line from that movie was "That's our watchdog, Urine!" which I still use to this day. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks