What's new

SPL meter worth the purchase? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I know that the SPL meter is crucial to setting up my HT properly, but Im just wondering, once you calibrate it, is tehre really a use for it after? I mean, when will you realy need to use it again if you dont plan on adjusting the speaker placement?

I ask this because my dad's friend has a SPL meter he was thinking of selling, but is willing to just let us borrow it. It dotn really want to keep asking him to borrow it again if for some reason I DO need to calibrate again, but then im thinking how often do i need to calibrate.

Thoughts? Should i buy it off him for cheap (prolly bout $20, $25 CAD), or just borrow it once, and record the speaker volume settings?

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
Buy one. Unless this is it for your stereo - no upgrades, moving around, reconfiguration, etc. New ones are under $50 - maybe you can pick up his used one for half-price?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Well im currently borrowing it.. and i've calibrated my system... honestly, i really doubt theres gonna be much alteration to my system in the near future... If he's willing to part with it for $15-$20, im gonna take it.. otherwise, im just gonna write down my settings so if anything does happen i can ust set it back to the way it was.

Stelios

Stunt Coordinator
You are right NickSo. You don't have to buy it. Once you calibrate your set up, thats it no use of it again. If by any chance you move you can borrow it again. I wish I could do this but unfortunately no one that I know has one so I had to buy one from ebay. I am still waiting for it to come.

Stelios

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I'd buy it and have it. If you get the upgrade bug often, you'll be recalibrating more than you think.

And besides, it's cool to be the guy with the SPL meter. You get to go to friends houses and fool around with their systems...erm I mean calibrate them. :D

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Buy it. Its one of those tools that you might not use often but you're glad you have it when you need it. For $20 IMO its a no brainer.

Chip E

Screenwriter
I agree with Andrew. Buy it for $20.00. I paid $45.00 for one brand new two years ago. I've used it a few times. I've calibrated several friend's HT's. It is a necessary thing to own for any HT'r IMO. 20 bucks is a gimmie.

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
Given that you'll probably need to recalibrate each time you add a source component, I think it is absolutely, positively essential to have one. For what little it costs, the payback is astronomical.

When I think of how much some folks here spend on esoteric interconnects and speaker wire, it astounds me to think of NOT getting an SPL meter just to save $20 CDN - which amounts to about one evening's beer money.

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
Get one, repeat, it is very essential. I bought the analog one from the Shack and it has made a tremendous difference.

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator
It's a tool well worth having. Be warned though, it may also help you find acoustical flaws that you didn't know you had! :p)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Anyone have the new R.S. model Arthur mentioned yet? Any performance impressions?

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator
Other than the display, what's the differnece between RadioShack's $50 digital model and their $40 analog model. Is the extra $10 worth it?

Dean

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I thought I read that the analog one was a little more accurate. Anyone?

David James

Stunt Coordinator
I bought one to make sure all my speakers were set at the same level. Now for the stupid question :)

I've never payed any attention to what DB levels actually were so last night I put in a one of the Lethel Weapon movies and got out the meter and watched it for a bit. I had it set to "C" and "Slow". I had the dial set to "90" and even during the various explosions and other action parts the dial bounced a bit between the -10 and -5 but never hit "0". I assume this means the "volume" never hit 90 DB's. Is that correct?

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator

That is correct for the average or 'C' weighting. 'A' weighting will show you the peak levels and give you a fairly decent visual indication of dynamic range.

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
We've got underground utilities here ...but every once in a while, usually on a sunny day when the wind is hardly blowing, the power hiccups and burps ...and it's sometimes "time to recalibrate". You need a meter.

Five years ago I bought the RS digital on sale even though, everyone here recommended the analog. Personally, I'm just fine with the digital and I understand that digital is the way of the future :) ...you can adjust how it "rounds".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks