What's new

Anyone else purchasing season 1 of Barney Miller? (1 Viewer)

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Just wondering if I'm the only one purchasing the first season of Barney Miller next week. I have to admit this release almost slipped past me since I never heard anything mentioned about it. I have no idea if there will be enough interest for further season releases in the future but it does appear to be doing well at DVDEmpire at number 98 in sales currently. Thought it was a great sitcom when it aired over 20 years ago, and haven't seen any episodes for a long time on television.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Loved the opening theme (bass line, drums, guitar).

So good! I may pick up the set myself.

Love the characters, Nick, Fish, Wojo, great memories.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
TVLand (I believe) were showing them on late nights fairly recently. While I didn't think it was a bad show, it wouldn't warrant a purchase from me.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Yes, I will purchase it. Although it won't be right away. There are several other priorities like The Critic, Friends, and G.I. Joe in January that I will be purchasing before it. I still need the newest Frasier/Cheers releases also. Man, 2004 is burying me already. And it's only going to get worse.

John KB

Second Unit
I noticed Sony changed the packaging style for this release. Rather than the fold outs they use for their other TV releases, this is your basic amray case.
Does this mean they're only expecting to release the first season? Or with will they used miss matched packaging?

I've only seen one review for this set so far, by the way.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
John, does the Amaray case have a thin slip cover with it? They generally use those even on 2-disc releases (like the Married With Children season 1 set).

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
This does not constitute a review, but I have to say that after two episodes, I'm pretty disappointed in the picture quality, though I understand with 30-year-old videotape there's bound to be some degradation.

The thing I'm most disappointed in is that it looks like they've zoomed in on the picture behind the closing credits. I could've sworn more of the skyline was visible. Was the WTC in the picture or something?

John KB

Second Unit
Amray are the most common black plastic cases with the thin clear plastic front where you slide in the cover art. The double ones have the interior swinging arm for the second disc.

I think the more commom word used is Keepcases.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I used to love Barney Miller, and I had not seen any episodes in many years, so I did order this set. It was only $22 at Deep Discount DVD, so I consider it a bargain release for an entire season.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Really loved this show when it originally aired. I caught some of the TV land marathon last summer, but I did purchase this set as I thoroughly enjoyed the odd characters who inhabit the "old one-two".

I forgot how truly deadpan Fish and Yemana were, how gung-ho Wojo was and how well Barney kept a lid on all the action.

:D

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I love this show as well, but I'm so behind in my viewing I'm still on the fence with BM [insert appropriate joke here].

This is one show, however, that needed a season to gel; most of the characters in the early going (Wojo) were way over-the-top. Once he quit the gum-chewing dumb-guy routine, he became way funnier. I'm also not crazy about the early Barney-at-home scenes.

My favorite character, though, is Dietrich, who didn't come onto the scene until a later season.

Runner up: Det. Luger. The scenes between he and Dietrich are the best of the entire series.

I dunno. I may have just talked myself into picking this one up. :)

Jon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I picked it up and it's great to see these uncut episodes after several years of TV Land butchering. The first season will seem jarring for those more used to the show from later in the run with no Dietrich, Wojo more stupid and over the top, but by the 8th-9th episode one can start to see the show hitting its stride.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks