Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone else purchasing season 1 of Barney Miller?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 BrianP

BrianP

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 07:46 AM

Just wondering if I'm the only one purchasing the first season of Barney Miller next week. I have to admit this release almost slipped past me since I never heard anything mentioned about it. I have no idea if there will be enough interest for further season releases in the future but it does appear to be doing well at DVDEmpire at number 98 in sales currently. Thought it was a great sitcom when it aired over 20 years ago, and haven't seen any episodes for a long time on television.

#2 of 17 Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor

• 996 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 08:09 AM

Loved the opening theme (bass line, drums, guitar).

So good! I may pick up the set myself.

Love the characters, Nick, Fish, Wojo, great memories.

#3 of 17 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,233 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 08:29 AM

TVLand (I believe) were showing them on late nights fairly recently. While I didn't think it was a bad show, it wouldn't warrant a purchase from me.

#4 of 17 Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 08:46 AM

Yes, I will purchase it. Although it won't be right away. There are several other priorities like The Critic, Friends, and G.I. Joe in January that I will be purchasing before it. I still need the newest Frasier/Cheers releases also. Man, 2004 is burying me already. And it's only going to get worse.

#5 of 17 R. Kay

R. Kay

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 09:33 AM

Waiting for the 'Fish' spinoff to come to dvd instead.

Posted Image

#6 of 17 RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor

• 661 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 02:37 PM

I remain convinced that Dennis Miller is the way he is because of Lt. Dietrich.

I am so there.
Blücher!

#7 of 17 John KB

John KB

Second Unit

• 254 posts

Posted January 25 2004 - 04:17 PM

I noticed Sony changed the packaging style for this release. Rather than the fold outs they use for their other TV releases, this is your basic amray case.
Does this mean they're only expecting to release the first season? Or with will they used miss matched packaging?

I've only seen one review for this set so far, by the way.

#8 of 17 Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted January 25 2004 - 04:22 PM

John, does the Amaray case have a thin slip cover with it? They generally use those even on 2-disc releases (like the Married With Children season 1 set).

#9 of 17 Jonathan.e

Jonathan.e

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted January 25 2004 - 10:39 PM

Nope, no slip-cover.

#10 of 17 RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor

• 661 posts

Posted January 25 2004 - 11:19 PM

This does not constitute a review, but I have to say that after two episodes, I'm pretty disappointed in the picture quality, though I understand with 30-year-old videotape there's bound to be some degradation.

The thing I'm most disappointed in is that it looks like they've zoomed in on the picture behind the closing credits. I could've sworn more of the skyline was visible. Was the WTC in the picture or something?
Blücher!

#11 of 17 John KB

John KB

Second Unit

• 254 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 12:59 AM

Amray are the most common black plastic cases with the thin clear plastic front where you slide in the cover art. The double ones have the interior swinging arm for the second disc.

I think the more commom word used is Keepcases.

#12 of 17 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,352 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 26 2004 - 01:20 AM

I used to love Barney Miller, and I had not seen any episodes in many years, so I did order this set. It was only $22 at Deep Discount DVD, so I consider it a bargain release for an entire season.

#13 of 17 Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 647 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 02:10 AM

Really loved this show when it originally aired. I caught some of the TV land marathon last summer, but I did purchase this set as I thoroughly enjoyed the odd characters who inhabit the "old one-two".

I forgot how truly deadpan Fish and Yemana were, how gung-ho Wojo was and how well Barney kept a lid on all the action.

Posted Image
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#14 of 17 Jon_Are

Jon_Are

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 02:33 AM

Yeah, I love this show as well, but I'm so behind in my viewing I'm still on the fence with BM [insert appropriate joke here].

This is one show, however, that needed a season to gel; most of the characters in the early going (Wojo) were way over-the-top. Once he quit the gum-chewing dumb-guy routine, he became way funnier. I'm also not crazy about the early Barney-at-home scenes.

My favorite character, though, is Dietrich, who didn't come onto the scene until a later season.

Runner up: Det. Luger. The scenes between he and Dietrich are the best of the entire series.

I dunno. I may have just talked myself into picking this one up. Posted Image

Jon

#15 of 17 Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 04:35 AM

Who could forget the "hash brownies" episode?

Posted Image

#16 of 17 Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 05:04 AM

Doug Wallen said it. Abe Vigoda's deadpan delivery of his lines was one of the series' high-points.

#17 of 17 Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 05:33 AM

I picked it up and it's great to see these uncut episodes after several years of TV Land butchering. The first season will seem jarring for those more used to the show from later in the run with no Dietrich, Wojo more stupid and over the top, but by the 8th-9th episode one can start to see the show hitting its stride.