Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Are you ready for another CSI?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,629 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 01:15 AM

The rumor is that Jerry Bruckheimer has another CSI on slate for next season:

CSI:NY
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 19 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 02:10 AM

I used to be a semi regular watcher of the original CSI, but when I tune in now it seems that Grishom has been pushed out to merely a supporting character status. Maybe Bruckenheimer should be putting his creative energy into resuscitating the original CSI.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#3 of 19 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,508 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted January 16 2004 - 02:22 AM

Do we really need another NY-based show? If they're going to do it, I was hoping for something a bit more interesting like CSI: New Orleans.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#4 of 19 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 02:35 AM

New York and New Orleans were two of the locations the producers are considering... I think a lot more interesting was what they were saying when CSI: Miami came out, that the next one would be set overseas (although CSI: French Riviera may just have been wishful thinking on their parts).

Still, when I look at good procedurals like Boomtown and Dragnet tanking this season, I think the schedule may be saturated with them. How much more room for crime shows does CBS have on their schedule (or NBC, which is supposedly looking at another Law & Order within the next year or so).
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#5 of 19 Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 02:58 AM

Another one?

Sure...flood the market. Posted Image

#6 of 19 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,860 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 04:16 AM

Hey. Maybe, they can have David Caruso set up CSI:New York and while he is there he can run into Sipowitz. Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#7 of 19 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 04:21 AM

I really think the legend of the goose that laid the golden eggs should be mandatory reading for studio executives.

#8 of 19 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 04:32 AM

CSI: The Big Easy or CSI: The Big Apple: what a choice.

If the next CSI continues the same downward spiral begun when going from CSI to CSI: Miami, I won’t need to watch more than a couple of shows in order to have my suspicions confirmed.
¡Time is not my master!

#9 of 19 James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 04:50 AM

I hardly watch Miami and I'm just catching up with CSI via reruns on tv.

One was enough. Two is too much. And three would be overkill.

Why doesn't bruckheimer stick to just blowing stuff up?

#10 of 19 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,629 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 05:04 AM

I'm still holding out hope for "CSI: Fargo".
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#11 of 19 MattGentry

MattGentry

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 05:16 AM

Too. Much. CSI.

I really liked the first one. Then, when the second one came out, and I attempted to watch it. It just didn't have the right feel. And now, I try to watch the first one, but I just can't get into it because there is simply too much.

NO MORE!

#12 of 19 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 05:45 AM

Yeah, CSI: Fargo would be entertaining.. or, CSI: Truth Or Consequences, NM Posted Image (now there's an odd combination of shows Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#13 of 19 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 08:20 AM

Jerry Brucheimer. Biggest hack around.
The spinoff to the original is not very good but like the many Law and Order spinoffs people will watch.
Arent people selective in their viewing habits anymore?
Do we really need another one of these shows???

How about CSI Moonbase?

#14 of 19 Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson

Second Unit

• 377 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 08:28 AM

Quote:

Look at the proliferation of so-called "reality TV shows" that should be major indicator right there that people have no clue whatsoever.

#15 of 19 Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 08:30 AM

I like Bruckheimer and I've enjoyed CSI even when it was b-fare relegated to Friday nights with "The Fugitive."

But I'm about to drop CSI Miami (despite my love affair with Emily Procter) and would have a difficult time accepting yet another flavor of the series.

Then again, "Without A Trace" is very good and "Cold Case" is decent. I'll give it a shot but am highly skeptical.

#16 of 19 Pete SE

Pete SE

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 08:42 AM

I'm so tired of seeing citiscapes in all of these programs.

I want CSI: Hawaii or CSI: Jackson Hole

#17 of 19 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 09:08 AM

Quote:
Jerry Brucheimer. Biggest hack around.
The spinoff to the original is not very good but like the many Law and Order spinoffs people will watch.
Do we really need another one of these shows???
Yeah, but the Law & Order spinoffs are GOOD - Special Victims Unit is, IMHO, the best procedural going right now and Criminal Intent is also highly entertaining. Both, also, have carved a distinct identity form their parent show, which I don't know that CSI: Miami has accomplished.

As to Bruckheimer being a hack... Yeah, most of his movies stink. But it seems that since Don Simpson's death, he has at least made an attempt to strive for more quality. CSI shows aside, his TV work has generally been pretty good - Without A Trace is a fantastic procedural, and lots of people will add "except The Amazing Race" to their "reality TV must die" rants. Skin also got pretty good reviews.

As to whether we "need" another one of these shows, no, we don't, but we don't need much of anything on TV. People do seem to want more, though... And I don't know if it's "more CSI" specifically (although by now that's something of a trusted brand name), but Law & Order has shown that a good one-hour police procedural can get good ratings, both first-run and in re-runs (which is awfully handy when you have holes to fill in the schedule) and can survive cast members coming and going. Viewers like them - though not necessarily the viewers that make noise on the internet, since they tend to be more interested in ongoing stories and these shows tend to be self-contained - and they do more for a network than, say, Ed, the likes of which don't rerun well at all.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#18 of 19 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 17 2004 - 01:32 AM

Quote:
CSI Moonbase

Posted Image

"Looks like he got depressurized."
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#19 of 19 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 17 2004 - 02:00 AM

What's sad is that, for all the stuff that pops up on TV that's carbon copies of each other, not a lot truely original pops out; people watch what others do and they do the same.

I remember for a while when networks were popping out wild shows, and yes, chunks of them failed, but you at least had some unique concepts.. (Quantum Leap, etc.) and yes, a lot of those shows were garbage (not speaking of QL, which I loved) but at least they were different, a couple more CSIs doesn't strike me as very original.

Oh well, Sopranos in a couple months.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

Forum Nav Content I Follow