What's new

Bridging head unit amp? (1 Viewer)

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
I'm replacing my head unit in my car because the current one is broken. I only have two speakers but all the head units are 4 channels (20W X 4). I have looked into specs and owners manuals with no luck. Does anyone know of a HU brand that allows amp bridging (ie 40W X 2).
Thanks,
Joe

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Brent,

I agree 100%! I was just wondering if anyone had a HU they knew was bridgable since I am in the market for a new unit.

Joe

Anthony_C

Agent
I have never seen a HU with bridging capabilities. If you are wanting more power, you would be better off getting an external amp. An external amp is going to give you a lot better sound and clarity.

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Anthony,
I have come to that conclusion, too. I read on a post, probably on a car forum, that someone bridged their amp and I assumed they meant the amp in the HU. I can' find the post but I bet they were talking about a separate amp as you suggested. I'll see how satisfied I am with just the HU.
Thanks again!

Joe

brentl

Senior HTF Member
YEP, I had(still have somewhere) an old Sony XR7180 cassette stereo that was something like 4 by 8 or 2 by 15.

Just had to flipa switch!

Brent

Denton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Denton
One possibility you might want to consider: biamping. I have some MB Quart coax's that have a biamp setting on their crossovers. Use one pair of channels on the tweets and one set on the midbasses. (Some current head units have RCA sub-outs that could be used for a sub and amp while using your head unit power on your main speakers.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks