Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: One Upon A Time In Mexico

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 07:04 PM

Michael Osadciw

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 01:00 AM

I missed this one in the theater so I'm really looking forward to viewing it at home. Great review! Posted Image
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

• 740 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 02:09 AM

This movie dissapointed me a little. It felt like it could have been a lot better with just a little tweaking. Oh well, I'll probably pick this up anyway because I'm such a big fan of Rodriguez. He puts out generally great films and always great DVDs.

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 04:26 AM

I'm a fan of Salma Hayek!:wink:
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 05:20 AM

I'm really surprised that the video is open-matte. The 2.35 theatrical presentation was the best looking thing I have seen from the digital world. Losing the widescreen feel that was there is a huge loss. -Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,856 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted January 16 2004 - 05:47 AM

Did he actually use consumer grade digital cameras? Or the type Lucas used for Star Wars? If the latter then those are definitely not "consumer technology." Thanks for the review.

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 06:49 AM

No, the cameras were not consumer grade, they were indeed pro. ...sorry for that mix-up, I've made the correction. Software is also pro, but presumably accessible for consumers if you have the $$$.

I'm glad you liked the review. Posted Image

Mike

Michael Osadciw

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   Clint

Clint

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 07:00 AM

I was so pysched up for this movie in the theaters. Sad to say that it was very, very dissapointing. I'd recommend a rental for those on the fence.

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor

• 511 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 07:02 AM

This movie has Spy Kids action for adult.

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 08:15 AM

This is so annoying. One of the reason why I started buying R1 DVDs was that some European companies used player-generated subtitles instead of the burned-in subtitles. And now US companies start doing this too. Player-generated subtitles are ugly, often not timed correctly and keep you from using the real subtitles - a friend of mine is almost deaf and when he turns the subtitles on he misses all of the "used-to-be-burned-in" subtitles.

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 08:23 AM

Good review. Terrible film.
A real script might have helped. M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   stephen^wilson

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 09:21 AM

I also like the way that columbia have kept the burned in subtitles on the movie that identify the locations and use player generated subs for the dialogue.That makes it worse in my opinion.And what is going on with columbia packaging of late.Both this and Bad Boys 2 come in an amaray case with a cardboard slipcover.Once Upon A Time In Mexico has the original artwork on the outer sleeve and what has to be the worst artwork i've seen in a long time in the amaray case,a silhouette of el mariachi going from the front of the cover all the way round to the back and a silhouette of johnny depp on the front.It doesn't even have the title on the spine!

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 09:24 AM

I really enjoyed the film, but it tried to be too much of an epic and not focusing on the Mariachi. This would have been more enjoyable had it not been part of the Mariachi films. That said, I do plan on picking this up, as I still enjoyed it.

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 06:29 PM

My thoughts exactly, so in that respect I was disappointed. I'll still pick it up though.
Master Poe: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Caine: I hear the water. I hear the birds.
Master Poe: Do you hear your own heart beat.
Caine: No.
Master Poe: Do you hear the grasshopper, which is at your feet.Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?Master Poe: Young man, how is it...

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted January 17 2004 - 03:37 AM

Now I'm wondering if I should revisit the first two before watching this movie. Opinions? Or will it be like Return of the Jedi in comparison?
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted January 19 2004 - 05:46 AM

Not sure I'll be picking this one up. I loved the first two flicks, but this one failed to live up to them, in my opinion. I was a little disappointed with it in the theaters. We'll see...

But a great review! Thanks! Posted Image

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted January 19 2004 - 10:48 AM

great, Player generated subs... oy... my player has the glitch that every time they are triggered, they stay on until you manually shut them off...

Posted Image D

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted January 19 2004 - 11:50 AM

Many individuals that I know were somewhat disappointed with this follow up to "El Mariachi" and "Desperado." As a filmmaker, I admire Robert Rodriguez quite a bit. His willingness to cut costs and film mean-and-lean is admirable in these days of exploding budgets. Quentin Tarantino encouraged him to make a third film in this series to complete a trilogy that Tarantino felt had a similar feel to Sergio Leone's "man with no name" trilogy. The reason "Desperado" is such a classic is that it is simple and intimate (for an action movie). It doesn't try to be too big, and it doesn't attempt to throw in everything bug the kitchen sink. "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" is over-the-top. There are many instances of this during the film. I won't go into specifics. I'll simply say that the film goes over the line of ridiculousness at a certain point. Does that mean it isn't worth owning? It is still a very stylish and entertaining film. It is one big jumbled hodge podge of action movies and westerns mixed up into the cinematic equivalent of salsa. I think many people's expectations were high after Depp's great performance in "Pirates of the Carribean." To be honest, he does a good job putting life into the material he is given -- and his typical level of "weirdness." I think "Mexico" -- much like Tarantino's "Kill Bill" -- will be remembered more fondly in the future than they are today. Both had an "in your face" level of shock and absurdity that can be tough to swallow on initial viewings.

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,514 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 19 2004 - 12:16 PM

the hellboy trailer trips the DD EX on my denon 3803.
facebook.com/whotony

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit

• 332 posts

Posted January 19 2004 - 03:41 PM

I enjoyed this very much, not seeing the first two films first. I still haven't seen El Mariachi yet, but I did get around to seeing Desperado, but I didn't think much of it. Go figure...
"Earnest Hemingway once wrote 'The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for.' I agree with the 2nd part." - Morgan Freeman, Se7en

My DVD Collection

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users