What's new

DVDA to MP3 (iPod)... any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
I've recently got my hands on an iPod and I'd like to rip some discs I have only on DVD-Audio onto it. I also think it would be nice to burn the audio from some DVDs to listen too.

I've seen people allude to doing this but have no ideas how. If anyone can recommend software or another method that will do this I would greatly appreciate it.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Probably the only way is to record it through an input into your computer's sound card. I am not sure what type of quality you might get. CNET has an instructional section on ripping MP3's from LP's, so some of the information included could possibly be transferred to ripping DVD-A into MP3. Hope this helped

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
It's certainly an option, thanks for the tip.

I've seen some downloadable applications for burning Dolby Digital from DVD to MP3s, but none of them seem to work as advertised.:frowning:

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
My question is: why would you want to go to all the trouble? Because of the audio quality loss going to MP3 (which is stereo only) you might as well transfer from 16 bit PCM files off of a normal CD. Many CD-R burning software packages can do the PCM to MP3 conversion for you.

Dan

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Dan, I think he already answered your question with this:

I have thought about this as well, as I have some music only on SACD that I would like to load onto my Ipod. Either way, please keep us notified as to what avenue you take in attempting to rip your DVD-A music.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I don't know of this helps, but DVD-As also have DD tracks, so if your computer has a DVD-ROM drive, it should be able to read the sound. If there's any software that can rip DVD sound, you might be able to do that.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Some of the non-iPod portables do have analog inputs now, which is very, very nice.

In your case, I would go the soundcard route with the high-res, or use a standalone CD recorder to get the audio into a PCM format.

Alternately, you can rip/demux the lossy AC3 2.0 tracks, then convert to PCM/WAV using freeware utilities. Then convert the PCM/WAV to MP3.

Some utilities:

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/do...audiocalc.html

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
There may also be a 16 bit/48K LPCM track in the video section, which you can get and convert to mp3. That's not too hard.

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator
Wouldn't it be ethical for him to just go to Kazaa and download the song(s) in question, if they're available? I mean, he already owns the music so it's not like he's stealing...

He shouldn't have to purchase the music twice (via CD, mp3, AAC, etc) just because he wants to listen to it on a different platform.

Rob

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So

Correct me if im mistaken, i beliueve this practice is againstm the Digital Millennium Copyright Act or some sort of digital copyright act thing...

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Are you using a PC or a Mac? On my Mac, I use 0SEx to do the audio extraction from the DVD, and then mAC3dec to change that output to an AIFF file. Finally, I have iTunes encode that AIFF file as an MP3 file, and load it onto my iPod. I just did it most recently with the DVD that came with the Tori Amos Tales of a Librarian CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks