Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DVDA to MP3 (iPod)... any suggestions?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 09:26 AM

I've recently got my hands on an iPod and I'd like to rip some discs I have only on DVD-Audio onto it. I also think it would be nice to burn the audio from some DVDs to listen too. I've seen people allude to doing this but have no ideas how. If anyone can recommend software or another method that will do this I would greatly appreciate it.
My DVD Collection
XBOX GamerTag: MumbleyJoe

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 10:13 AM

Probably the only way is to record it through an input into your computer's sound card. I am not sure what type of quality you might get. CNET has an instructional section on ripping MP3's from LP's, so some of the information included could possibly be transferred to ripping DVD-A into MP3. Hope this helped

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 03:53 AM

It's certainly an option, thanks for the tip.

I've seen some downloadable applications for burning Dolby Digital from DVD to MP3s, but none of them seem to work as advertised.Posted Image
My DVD Collection
XBOX GamerTag: MumbleyJoe

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 06:18 AM

My question is: why would you want to go to all the trouble? Because of the audio quality loss going to MP3 (which is stereo only) you might as well transfer from 16 bit PCM files off of a normal CD. Many CD-R burning software packages can do the PCM to MP3 conversion for you. Dan

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 06:45 AM

Dan, I think he already answered your question with this:
I have thought about this as well, as I have some music only on SACD that I would like to load onto my Ipod. Either way, please keep us notified as to what avenue you take in attempting to rip your DVD-A music.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 06:55 AM

I don't know of this helps, but DVD-As also have DD tracks, so if your computer has a DVD-ROM drive, it should be able to read the sound. If there's any software that can rip DVD sound, you might be able to do that.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 07:06 AM

Some of the non-iPod portables do have analog inputs now, which is very, very nice.

In your case, I would go the soundcard route with the high-res, or use a standalone CD recorder to get the audio into a PCM format.

Alternately, you can rip/demux the lossy AC3 2.0 tracks, then convert to PCM/WAV using freeware utilities. Then convert the PCM/WAV to MP3.

Some utilities:

http://www.digital-d....audiocalc.html

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor

• 575 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 08:22 AM

There may also be a 16 bit/48K LPCM track in the video section, which you can get and convert to mp3. That's not too hard.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   robertLP

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted January 17 2004 - 05:29 AM

Wouldn't it be ethical for him to just go to Kazaa and download the song(s) in question, if they're available? I mean, he already owns the music so it's not like he's stealing... He shouldn't have to purchase the music twice (via CD, mp3, AAC, etc) just because he wants to listen to it on a different platform. Rob

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted January 17 2004 - 08:49 PM

Correct me if im mistaken, i beliueve this practice is againstm the Digital Millennium Copyright Act or some sort of digital copyright act thing...

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted January 17 2004 - 11:20 PM

Are you using a PC or a Mac? On my Mac, I use 0SEx to do the audio extraction from the DVD, and then mAC3dec to change that output to an AIFF file. Finally, I have iTunes encode that AIFF file as an MP3 file, and load it onto my iPod. I just did it most recently with the DVD that came with the Tori Amos Tales of a Librarian CD.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users