What's new

21 Grams coming to DVD March 16th (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
almost 2000 votes on imdb, of which 20% give it 8/10, 25% give 9/10 and over 31% award the ultimate 10 OUT OF 10!!!

I guess I ought to check this film out.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
What's the rush?

This movie just started it's theatrical run and is getting a lot of hype. I live in the Chicago burbs, and it still hasn't made it to within a 20 mile radius of my home.

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
The rush is probably Oscar-related. The release date is just two weeks after the Academy Awards, and the smart money is on Sean Penn to win Best Actor this year (likely for Mystic River, though possibly for 21 Grams--whichever movie he officially gets the nod for, both performances will figure into voting), and Naomi Watts is favored to be a nominee for Best Actress (though most assume Charlize Theron will win the award).

I'm sure the studio's hoping to ride the Oscar publicity wave to advertise the DVD's release. If it comes out much later than the award season, it won't be as fresh in the minds of consumers. Rather than hope for an "Oscar-bump" in theater attendance, they're going for one in DVD sales.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
And it probably never will. Theatrical distribution for "smaller" films has become a classic vicious circle: Not many people go, so the studios don't invest in wide distribution, so the people who want to see the film in a theater can't find it, so not many people go . . .

M.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
This was a wonderful movie. I caught it at the end of December. After the first half hour I was kinda like WTF? and wasn't sure I was going to like it, 10 minutes later it all started coming together.
It ended up being one of the most rewarding movie experiences I had in '03. Amazing movie. Great performances.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I just saw this recently myself, while it runs a little slow in certain scenes it was a excellent movie. I'd probably purchase it on DVD.

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
I definitely advise anyone who wants to see this to avoid press about it as much as possible. I knew the main line of the plot before I went in (thanks to columns written about the movie several months before its release), and a lot of things that should have blown me away felt more like the film catching up with my advanced knowledge.

ElAhrai

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,

In the Chicago 'burbs I know it's playing at the Warrenville AMC 30 off of I88. The ticket prices are a bit high, but if you really want to see it theatrically it's better than nothing.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I drove to Dallas last week to visit family and finally got to see this outstanding film. The heartfelt performances in this film were simply amazing, even from the supporting actors such as Melissa Leo. I do wish that movies such as 21 Grams would get wider release, especially since I live ninety miles from the nearest big city. Oh well...gotta keep dreaming...

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Will have this day and date. Briliant film, my #2 for the year. Incredible performances, sharp editing, strong writing and a great, great color scheme and visual approach in general.

Steve Lumbert

Stunt Coordinator
I came across 21 Grams by accident. I missed the movie I came to see and saw this instead. This one is a real sleeper. Excellent film with one of the most complex plots I have ever seen. I agree that you should avoid any press before viewing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks