Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Which teasers/trailers are you tired of seeing before a movie?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

• 1,113 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 03:45 PM

I just cringe whenever that stupid teaser for The Son of The Mask comes on. So obviously CGI and just plain stupid. Haven't they learned anything from Dumb and Dumberer? No Jim Carrey then nobody's gonna watch it! Same can be said for the Torque trailer. Just another Fast and The Furiuos with bikes. Can't they make stunts with real people and real bikes anymore? Another trailer that's filled with awful and obvious CGI. What other trailers just turn you off?
Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

• 5,881 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 05:33 PM

The one that starts with, "My name is blah-blah and I work as a stuntman. Some of us specialize in turning over cars or flipping them, etc., etc. We really work hard and we really want you paying theatre going Mo-fo's to stop pirating films. We know you have paid to see the movie but we are sure that somehow you are stealing it from under our noses. If you don't stop pirating films I am going to lose my job. We know that work-in-progress prints are showing up on the internet and we know that you, the theatre audience, is responsible. We don't have clue how you are responsible but, damnit, somehow its all your fault. So please stop doing whatever it is you are doing...you....you...PIRATES!!"
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 06:39 PM

I agree, the piracy trailer and the entire campaign is getting rather annoying. I feel as if they make me feel like a villain and crook everytime I sit down to watch a film. I also hate that trailer for The Mask II...I mean it's the what the !@$% moment of 2004. AJG
"It's been my lifelong ambition to be a movie usher, and I have failed, as far as I am concerned" - Bob Dylan

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   JamieD

Supporting Actor

• 557 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 11:08 PM

I completely and wholeheartedly agree with you guys. I ask my local theater why they have to show that Anti-Piracy garbage on a regular basis.
My Small (But Prized) DVD Collection!

"Actually, I am in really bad shape financially."

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

• 2,371 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 11:23 PM

The Mask trailer is horrible! It's caused very audible groans at every screening I've seen it play at. I'm pretty sick of The Butterfly Effect trailer. Ashton Kutcher to me causes the same reaction that many people have to Keanu Reeves - I literally start laughing just by looking at him, and when he opens his mouth to speak, I laugh even harder. Especially the line in the trailer, "Every time I go back in time to help someone, everything just goes wrong!" That said, while it makes me laugh, that doesn't mean I necessarily enjoy seeing it at every single movie I go to, and I'm very tired of it now.

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 12:14 AM

New Line has asked the trailers for MASK 2 to pulled and destroyed... As to why they are still running is a big "?"... Dugger

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   Kristian

Supporting Actor

• 946 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 02:31 AM

The trailer for Along Came Polly is the one I'm currently tired of seeing. I close my eyes every time that basketball scene comes up at the end. Ugh!

I'm also tired of the Cat in the Hat MasterCard commercial, the Lego commercial, the "I'm Delux247" CokeMusic.com commercial and the aforementioned piracy PSA.
Film Lists: 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | Pre-2006 | 2009

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

• 1,113 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 03:30 AM

Ummm, I'm talking about movie trailers/teasers. Not commercials. Thanks.
Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

• 4,769 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 03:35 AM

*Anything* that holds up seeing the movie that I've paid to see.

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

• 5,684 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted January 15 2004 - 03:55 AM

Amen! I'm glad the movie is opening this weekend so I don't have to see the trailer again. I think they played it in front of EVERY film I've seen in the past two months, which means I've seen it 15-20 times. Posted Image
Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   ChrisV

Second Unit

• 484 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 04:32 AM

The Perfect Score Mask II

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

• 2,145 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 04:50 AM

Granted he should be worried about his job, but not for the reasons he's stating. Computer generated special effects are replacing the stuntman more and more every day. Pretty soon, Hollywood won't even need him anymore.

As for bad trailers, I pretty much hate all the trailers narrated by the same two or three deep-voiced guys. I prefer trailers that are either narrated by the filmmaker (Hitchcock was a master at this), or not narrated at all except possibly a few segments of dialog from the main actors (the Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions teaser trailer is a good example).

The worst trailer I've ever seen was for the French version of "Return to the Blue Lagoon". The audience was laughing out loud and was even applauding sarcastically at the end of it! Posted Image

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   Kami

• 1,496 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 04:55 AM

Definitely the Mask 2. Just horrible. One trailer I have been seeing over and over again but haven't really gotten sick of is The Butterfly Effect. It's always shown before ROTK. It would be twice the trailer without Mr. Voice, but its intriguing nonetheless.

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

• 3,034 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 08:27 AM

One trailer I was really sick of at the time was the trailer for Matrix Revolutions that was attached to the end of Reloaded. A cinema here used it as their only trailer for Revolutions. I would go to the movies the week before Revolutions opened, when they had the really cool trailer with the Deus Ex Machina, and they were still playing this thing I now had on DVD. That really drove me crazy.

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

• 2,598 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 08:46 AM

Totally agree re: Along Came Polly. I don't know how many times I've seen that one. If we're talking commercials its the Levi's one with the guy lassoing the car. I guess I'm lucky but none of the theaters I go to play the the piracy PSA.

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,579 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 15 2004 - 10:18 AM

And Dumb and Dumberer actually had a fairly creative marketing campaign. Son of Mask has no such thing.

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   John_Berger

• 2,489 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 11:25 AM

I'm tired of seeing ALL of them. I'm paying to see the movie, not the previews (and commercials) that come before it.

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 12:14 PM

I'm afraid, John, that I'm of the opinion that trailers and teasers are as much of moviegoing as seeing the films they advertise. Sorry you don't agree. And indeed, that GOD-AWFUL Mask II / Son of Mask trailer. It's a "bury your head and pray it's not true", kind of moment.

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   DaveB

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 02:33 PM

I am absolutely sick of the Butterfly Effect trailer, and the Mask baby trailer. New Line has doomed the new Mask film with the awful trailer, and Butterfly just doesn't appeal to me. At all. David

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

• 4,389 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 02:50 PM

I agree with the piracy PSA, but I like the "Delux247" comercial. It's shows how pathetic that kid really is. It gets a big laugh from the crowd every time I see it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users