What's new

Attack of the 50 ft. woman! (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
If you mean the original 1958 version with Allison Hayes and Yvette Vickers, Warner owns it these days. Part of the package of Allied Artists films they acquired when they absorbed Lorimar. CBS/Fox released it on laserdisc (paired with the 1958 version of HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL) prior to this happening.

Some other Allied Artists films I'd also like to see on legit R1 DVD from Warner:

THE GIANT BEHEMOTH (1959)
NOT OF THIS EARTH (1957)
ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS (1957)
CONFESSIONS OF AN OPIUM EATER (1962)
WORLD WITHOUT END (1955)
QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE (1958)
THE HYPNOTIC EYE (1960)
THE MAZE (1953)
FROM HELL IT CAME (1957)
CONVICTS FOUR (1962)
GOLD (1974)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
What about the greatest sci-fi flick of the 50s:

The Incredible Shrinking Man

Has anyone heard anything about a possible DVD release?

Doug

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Since TISM is a Universal title, there isn't any news on it and I'm not very hopeful of seeing it on DVD soon (unless Universal suddenly develops some sense of intelligence when it comes to opening the vault to their sci-fi & horror catalog).

I have 50 Foot Woman on laser but would gladly trade it in for the DVD, especially as the transfer could be improved.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Oops, I forgot to include CALTIKI, THE IMMORTAL MONSTER (1959) in my earlier Warner/Allied Artists DVD want list. A cool "killer blob" movie, directed by Mario Bava and Riccardo Freda.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
And while we're on the theme, Gordon's The Amazing Colossal Man and War of the Colossal Beast would be a fun double feature. Weren't these released by AIP? So does MGM have the rights? Or did Gordon keep the rights to these?

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Unfortunately, while COLOSSAL MAN and COLOSSAL BEAST are indeed AIP films, they are part of a package that MGM does not control. Actually, there are a few of AIP's 1950s packages that are independently-owned.

Producer Herman Cohen (now deceased) retained the rights to HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM (1959) and THE HEADLESS GHOST (1959), and allowed The Roan Group to release them on LD, and VCI to put 'em out on DVD. The bulk of the 1950s AIP catalog is split between the estate of Sam Arkoff and the widow (former AIP starlet Susan Hart) of the late James H. Nicholson. As for the Arkoff and Nicholson estates, I forget who exactly has what (hopefully someone more knowledgable here will post on this), but some of the films involved include:

AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN (1957)
WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST (1958)
EARTH VS. THE SPIDER (1958)
I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN (1957)
I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF (1957)
HOW TO MAKE A MONSTER (1958)
THE SHE CREATURE (1957)
INVASION OF THE SAUCER MEN (1957)
VOODOO WOMAN (1957)
CAT GIRL (1957)
BLOOD OF DRACULA (1957)
TEENAGE CAVEMAN (1958)
THE DAY THE WORLD ENDED (1956)
IT CONQUERED THE WORLD (1956)
THE UNDEAD (1957)
TERROR FROM THE YEAR 5000 (1958)
SORORITY GIRL (1957)
THE VIKING WOMEN AND THE SEA SERPENT (1957)
MACHINE GUN KELLY (1958)

Columbia Tristar released several of these on VHS, but I believe that license has long since expired.

A handful of these have been released on DVD in the U.K. (incredibly, under the "AMC Monsterfest" banner --hey, what about we stateside fans? The only DVDs AMC gives us are bad-quality public domain films!!).

MGM does control a few 1950s AIP films that fell outside of the group divvied-up between Arkoff and Nicholson, like ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE (1958) and ANGRY RED PLANET (1959), which have seen R1 DVD release, and a very early AIP effort, BEAST WITH A MILLION EYES (1955) is also an MGM property. I'm not sure what else from the 1950s is under MGM's control.

I would assume that both the Arkoff and Nicholson estates will work out deals with some DVD entity to make these films available to American fans at some point (I'm sure they like money as much as the next person), but when that will be, and through whom, is anybody's guess.

Another Allied Artists film that Warner could release: Bert I. Gordon's warm-up for his "COLOSSAL MAN" films, THE CYCLOPS (1957).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Seriously, out of the above list, I'd say 90% of those are my favorite monster films! We used to rent these 8 at a time at a local vid store on VHS, and I'd kill to have them on DVD!

do them as double features!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks