What's new

HTD owners please help me choose Level 3 or 4..also Axiom 22 owners help me here (1 Viewer)

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
Hi!
I decided to spend a little more in order to get better speakers. Now I had the chance to demo HTD Level 3 and 4 since I live in Texas just 30 minutes from HTD offices. I really like both and at some point liked Level 3 towers more than I did Level 4 but the Level 3 Center is not as clear as the Level 4...hard to explain but the Level 4 Center made thing sound like they were right in front of me not inside the speaker. Funny thing my wife actually wants me to get the Level 4 TOWERS which are very expensive instead of the smaller ones! Now that completely surprised me as I thought she would think it was ridiculous to spend so much on speakers. Thanks God for that woman! LOL Anyway, back to the topic, while I was impressed with the HTD speakers my only previous experience was with my AR 318PS towers so I dont really know a lot about great speakers. Since I am spending a lot more now I guess the Axiom 22 is also in my range and those are getting great reviews so please comment on both specially if you have heard both HTDs and Axioms (either m3ti or m22ti). I want good speakers now (subwoofer not important for now).
Regards

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I say stop second guessing.

Get a pair of both and test in your own home. That way you KNOW you got what you like.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
I guess thats feasible since both have money back guarranty right? Any comments on both still appreciated. I think I can try the Level 3 towers vs the Axiom M22ti and see which one comes out on top. Keep comments since I am sure there are more HTD owners here.
Regards

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I am in the same boat. Looking at either 3 or splurging for 4.
Can't beat a 30 day free trial and 5 year warranty.

These will be going on possibly the following:

HK 630, Denon 3805 (heh, if I can get a decent deal legit), Yamaha 1400/2400, or probably something I haven't even thought of yet. ;)

Anyone own 4's and care to comment?

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
Ok this could be of help.
After much consideration and after a friend's personal shoot out between the 4 and 3 (among others). We concluded that the best value are the Tower 3 or if you want bookshelves then BookShelves 4. There wasnt enough sound quality difference between the Level 4 tower and Level 3 one to justify the price difference.
Regards

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I say stop second guessing.

Get a pair of both and test in your own home. That way you KNOW you got what you like.////////

Yes, this will serve you best imo long term. No wondering which will surly set in over time. I know Chris at HTD will serve you well, as I'm sure Axiom will also.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
EricRWem... I was just thinking the same thing since you don't hear alot on any of the boards about HTD brand speakers. Nhan has done a comparison on a set of both (forgot which ones) but you can find it by doing a search over at av123.com

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
I have extensive experience with the HDT Level 2 and 3 bookshelf speakers and I now own a set of 5 Axiom M22ti's. Everyone's preferences are different so the following only represents MY impressions.

I was very happy with the HDT level 2's for over a year. They had good imaging and were very nice with movies. Music (CD, SACD, and DVD-A) also sounded good and most of my friends were impressed.

Then I got a little bit of money and decided to upgrade to the Level 3's. The configuration was six identical bookshelf speakers. For some reason, I really felt that these speakers were quite a bit warmer. The 'veil' analogy applies very well here. Imagine having your speakers behind a heavy blanket. The highs, while present, were recessed and the sound was a bit muddled for my taste. The imaging was still very good but the transparancy was just not there. These limitations were not as apparent while watching movies.

Finally, I'd had it. I have a full set of B&W CDM-7's at my house and I just love that sound. My HDT L3's were just so much of a contrast that I found myself with speaker envy. That is when I started looking at the Axioms. After plunking my $1,000 down, I eagerly installed the speakers and fired up the SACD player. Wow. Not only was the veil lifted, but I was hearing an amazing level of detail. The imaging was spot on. I can honestly say that they give my home system a run for the money.

Bear in mind that I am still in the break-in period for the Axioms. I expect that they will sound even better in a few weeks. All in all, I would not hesitate to recommend these speakers. If you are looking at the HDT speakers, just keep in mind that they are a bit warmer in sound. To each their own.

David

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I am rather picky especially when it comes to my music. Very informative post and I thank you...

I know B&W well...but jeez, I can't afford them. ;)

john michiels

Auditioning
I have M40's and M3ti's. HT is really cool but music is what I really like. At the time money and space was tight and I had no sub and the m40's offered better bass extention. I really LOVE these Axiom speakers but there is SOOO much praise about the M22's I think might have done better with 4 M22's. (hard to believe...I really love these speakers...and the price!!!!so affordable).

Bottom line: Axioms are a steal for the price.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I may have to give these Axioms a closer look. I am intruiged...

Offhand, for a 20 foot by 12 foot room, what direction(s) do you think you would go with Axiom on that? HK 630 is the receiver.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I may have to give these Axioms a closer look. I am intruiged...

Offhand, for a 20 foot by 12 foot room, what direction(s) do you think you would go with Axiom on that? HK 630 is the receiver.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I still like HTD a lot, too. Heh, the problem really is: Too many simillar choices.

Thus far, I like Ascend, av123, HTD, Aperion... just too many...

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I still like HTD a lot, too. Heh, the problem really is: Too many simillar choices.

Thus far, I like Ascend, av123, HTD, Aperion... just too many...

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,

For that large a room, I would look at the M22's at a minimum. From there, the next logical step is to the M60 which is reputed to be identically voiced. A lot of this depends on how loud you intend to play these things.

My room is about 12 x 20 too. I am in an apartment where the central room contains the kitchen, dining room, and living room. The living room is oriented so that the couch is parallel to the long wall (The screen and front speakers face the couch across the short dimension). All that said, the sound gets too loud for comfort before the speakers start compressing.

Don't forget that if you go with the M22's, you must get a sub. I have a small one that blends marvelously. The sub is hidden and all of my guests swear that the bass is coming from the front speakers.

Good luck in your choices. With these internet companies, you just have to make the leap of faith and understand that you might have some 30-day shipping if you don't like them. The other thing to consider is the weight of combined opinion. I've never read anything bad about Axioms, Rockets, or AV123. There is also a consensus about the general sound characteristics of each of these speakers. If you use these to make an intelligent choice, you shouldn't be disappointed. Finally, you have to accept that you might not get the absolute 'best' of these speakers unless you pony up the bucks and order them all.

David Nighorn

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,

For that large a room, I would look at the M22's at a minimum. From there, the next logical step is to the M60 which is reputed to be identically voiced. A lot of this depends on how loud you intend to play these things.

My room is about 12 x 20 too. I am in an apartment where the central room contains the kitchen, dining room, and living room. The living room is oriented so that the couch is parallel to the long wall (The screen and front speakers face the couch across the short dimension). All that said, the sound gets too loud for comfort before the speakers start compressing.

Don't forget that if you go with the M22's, you must get a sub. I have a small one that blends marvelously. The sub is hidden and all of my guests swear that the bass is coming from the front speakers.

Good luck in your choices. With these internet companies, you just have to make the leap of faith and understand that you might have some 30-day shipping if you don't like them. The other thing to consider is the weight of combined opinion. I've never read anything bad about Axioms, Rockets, or AV123. There is also a consensus about the general sound characteristics of each of these speakers. If you use these to make an intelligent choice, you shouldn't be disappointed. Finally, you have to accept that you might not get the absolute 'best' of these speakers unless you pony up the bucks and order them all.

David Nighorn

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Totally understandable.

For laughs, I'd love someone to quickly summarize what the "general sound characteristics" of some of these brands are. That would be a great, first step, help.

That's funny: I didn't think my room was considered that large...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks