Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

basic newbie connection problems

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Gary grainger

Gary grainger

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 06:13 AM

Hi, folks, new here, I'm in the UK, and have a very basic set up, which i cannot connect properly. I have dvd player, Sky digital box, a vhs video player/recorder and a widescreen tv. Pitiful, ain't it! The problem: How to set it up so that I can record onto the video from the sky digital signal, and then play back what I have recorded. I can get the play signal from the vhs to the tv, but cannot get the vhs to record the sky signal. All is connected with Scart leads - I hate them, but it is all that I have at the moment. n.b. I could do everything that I wanted to do before I changed tv, and even though I wired it up the same it don't work. Please help, getting frustrated.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Brad E

Brad E

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 08:58 AM

The output from the Sky digital has to go to the VCR first. From there to the TV. If this is how you have it connected then, it sounds like you just need to change the imput on the VCR. On my VCR I have Line 1 and Line 2 depending on which imput I'm using. Or it could be because the VCR is not on the correct channel. Try 3 or 4. This all depends how you have it hooked up. I'm not familar with Scart leads so that dosen't tell me much.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,955 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX

Posted January 14 2004 - 11:19 AM

You'll have to pardon us Yankees, Gary. Scart is foreign to us here in the U.S. Is it a line-level connection? That said, here's what you want to do, provided your equipment has the proper connections. Send a line-level signal (both audio and video) from the Sky box to the VCR's “Line In.” (Most VCRs here have inputs on the front and back.) This will allow you to record any channel that is selected on the Sky box. You will need to set the VCR to "Line In" to do the recording. Send another signal from the VCR's “Line Out” to the TV’s “Video Input.” This will allow playback of tapes. Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt
My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 02:14 PM

A SCART lead (cable in Yankee parlance) looks like
this....Posted Image
Andy.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,955 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX

Posted January 14 2004 - 03:39 PM

Looks like a hunkin' big connector! What does it carry? RF? Line-level audio and/or video?
My Equipment List

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Gary grainger

Gary grainger

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 12:50 AM

Thanks fo all the info guys. A scart lead (also called peritel) carries everything in both directions. The ones that come free with dvd players etc. are total garbage, and can drop out at the push of a button on the remote! Like all good interconnects, the best ones cost the most money. I'll keep you posted on how I get on cheers Gary

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,955 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX

Posted January 15 2004 - 01:51 AM

Do all A/V components in the UK have Scarts - TVs, VCRs, DVD players, LD players. etc.?

Just wondering so I'll know how to advise the next guy with Scart equipment. Posted Image

My Equipment List

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Gary grainger

Gary grainger

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 02:22 AM

Yup, they do, although many have digital in/out, RF in/out and phono in/out too. Confusing ain't it! Anyway. following the advice of the crew here, I got my system sorted the way I wanted it. Many thanks for quick and knowledgeable responses.
Cheers!Posted Image
Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users