-

Photo
- - - - -

Curb Your Enthusiasm, Season One

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 of 48 Pete D

Pete D

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted January 13 2004 - 08:04 AM

Anyone buy Season One on DVD? I just picked it up but haven't been able to watch it. Any reviews would be greatly appreciated!!

#2 of 48 Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted January 13 2004 - 09:51 AM

All I can say is that it is great.

The packaging is really nice...something I have never seen before.
We're Texas.

#3 of 48 ColeKR

ColeKR

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted January 13 2004 - 09:57 AM

The commentary on the first episode is really great as you can sense that Larry didn't really want to be there as he doesn't say much. The others all have some good things to say about the episode. I must agree the way the dvd's are packaged is very nice.

#4 of 48 Eric R C

Eric R C

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted January 13 2004 - 12:44 PM

I disagree the packaging is so asinine. It is like a childrens pop-up book being held together by cellophane. I partially tore the packaging trying to figure the damn thing out.

#5 of 48 ColeKR

ColeKR

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted January 13 2004 - 01:04 PM

After my inital reaction to the way the case is I started to think about how over time it could end up falling apart. Besides the case I wish they would have added another commentary or two.

#6 of 48 KevA

KevA

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted January 13 2004 - 02:50 PM

I think the package design (both visually and the way it opens) is fantastic. Also, they did a great job on the menus.

And the show itself?: What can you say that hasn't been said before?: It's brilliant and it's hysterical and it's great to have the first season on DVD.

#7 of 48 Skippy

Skippy

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted January 13 2004 - 02:57 PM

just got the set tonight. haven't watched it yet, but reading this thread got me curious about the packaging. I LOVE IT!!! it's so freakin' cool!!! i can also see how it may break down over time. especially since i can't stop playing with it. :b

can't wait until i can sit down and watch the shows themselves. awesome series!!!

#8 of 48 Stas T

Stas T

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted January 13 2004 - 03:37 PM

Re: the "Curb" packaging? To paraphrase Comic Book Guy from "The Simpsons," "worst packaging ever."

Not only is two-disc insert difficult to remove from the slip cover (almost had to use pliers), but the sliding dual-disk holder has all the finesse and functionality of a two-legged chair.

Unique, yes, but also clumsy, ill-conceived, operationally-awkward, and needlessly complicated. It makes Fox's unwieldy "Alien Quadrilogy" 9-panel fold-out seem delightfully simple by comparison. One almost longs for the Halcyon days of the dreaded snapper rather than this wretched invention.

I'd have preferred virtually any other packaging -- double Alpha, slim-line double Amaray (a la the Star Wars and recent Pixar films), or the comparatively elegant three-panel fold-out Fox used for the two-disc "Fight Club." Even two thinpack cases.

I hope this packaging dies a quick market death, preferably before the release of "Curb" season two. In the meantime, I'm transferring my "Curb" discs to slim CD jewel cases, so as not to waste time trying to extract them from their original, impossible-to-use package whenever I want to watch the show.

#9 of 48 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted January 13 2004 - 03:49 PM

I dig the packaging.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#10 of 48 Gabe Oppenheim

Gabe Oppenheim

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted January 13 2004 - 04:02 PM

Does anyone have any idea how to put the packaging back together once it has fallen apart? Mine did, and I can't seem to get it back in properly. The thing is a damned logic puzzle masquerading as a DVD box.Posted Image

#11 of 48 Ray_Gootz

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted January 13 2004 - 04:31 PM

I love the Packaging. All you gotta do is pull ilke it says. This has my award for best design of 2004.

#12 of 48 Ben Phillips

Ben Phillips

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 01:15 AM

The great thing about the packaging is, it makes me think about the show. I can only imagine what would happen if Larry David had to contend with this DVD package on an episode of "Curb".
-Ben Phillips

#13 of 48 Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 03:20 AM

Quote:
Re: the "Curb" packaging? To paraphrase Comic Book Guy from "The Simpsons," "worst packaging ever."Not only is two-disc insert difficult to remove from the slip cover (almost had to use pliers), but the sliding dual-disk holder has all the finesse and functionality of a two-legged chair. Unique, yes, but also clumsy, ill-conceived, operationally-awkward, and needlessly complicated. It makes Fox's unwieldy "Alien Quadrilogy" 9-panel fold-out seem delightfully simple by comparison. One almost longs for the Halcyon days of the dreaded snapper rather than this wretched invention.

I'd have preferred virtually any other packaging -- double Alpha, slim-line double Amaray (a la the Star Wars and recent Pixar films), or the comparatively elegant three-panel fold-out Fox used for the two-disc "Fight Club." Even two thinpack cases.

I hope this packaging dies a quick market death, preferably before the release of "Curb" season two. In the meantime, I'm transferring my "Curb" discs to slim CD jewel cases, so as not to waste time trying to extract them from their original, impossible-to-use package whenever I want to watch the show."

I agree with the above.

#14 of 48 AnthonyR

AnthonyR

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 04:21 AM

Quote:
I partially tore the packaging trying to figure the damn thing out.

I thought it was pretty simple...All I did was PULL where it said to pull and both CD's slide out.

#15 of 48 Wes C

Wes C

Supporting Actor

• 710 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 05:11 AM

Put me down as one who will be switching out the case. I almost had a Larry David moment in my frustration of trying to figure out what I had in my hands.

#16 of 48 Jodee

Jodee

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 05:37 AM

I like the packaging-- too bad they had to stick the ugly security sticker underneath the clear plastic tray.

I hate that!

#17 of 48 R. Kay

R. Kay

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 06:35 AM

I heard Richard Lewis jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge after he couldnt open the dvd.

He's so sensitive.

#18 of 48 Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 06:46 AM

I did not have a problem at all with the packaging. Mine slid out smooth and easy. I hope they keep up the unique package with more releases.
We're Texas.

#19 of 48 Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 09:54 AM

LOL, the packaging is so fitting with the show... it's great! Posted Image

"I've got like a 5 inch flap here!"

#20 of 48 Kajs

Kajs

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 11:02 AM

Quote:
I thought it was pretty simple...All I did was PULL where it said to pull and both CD's slide out.

I did the same thing and had 2 DVDs in mine!

I can't understand how anyone can "ruin it" and open it incorrectly...It says pull, you pull. What were some of your other ideas on how to open it? I'm really interested.

Forum Nav Content I Follow