What's new

Where's The Day After DVD? (1 Viewer)

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
I've been searching for info on this title and can't find anything. I know Anchor Bay rereleased it on VHS a year or so ago, but why no DVD release? Are they planning on doing one? I've been wanting this one on DVD for years.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I would happily buy this title on DVD too. We're getting a (hopefully) decent copy of Final Countdown on DVD so maybe we'll see "The Day After."

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It's never been released on DVD in Region 1. If it's been released overseas, I'm unaware of it.

Nor have I heard of any rumors that it's in-the-works. Sorry, man.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
As I can remember, Anchor Bay said it was coming and then form one reason or another it was scrapped for the time being.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Jeff: do you remember where you ordered it from? I found it listed on one Brazilian site (NTSC) but it seems to be unavailable. It can be had from England and Germany, but of course only in PAL.

Jo_C

Second Unit
"Day After" was an ABC production. It was originally released on video domestically through Embassy. Anchor Bay later got the rights when they got the license to a package of films from ABC/Disney (which included "The Day After"). Last year, under a new term of license, MGM got the ABC/Disney package, so the people you should talk to on a "Day After" Region 1 DVD is MGM.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Jo_C is correct, Anchor Bay no longer has the rights to the movie and they told me so in an e-mail a while back. I too have been anxiously awaiting this movie and ended up going for a Region 2 version, the only one currently available for sale. The all region Brazilian one is OOP and goes for a premium now.

It was considered a "flop" in its day and only has a cult following so doubt MGM will get to releasing it anytime soon :frowning:

For what it is worth, the Region 2 is a decent transfer if you have a way to play it.

Eric

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor

I remember this movie being a huge deal when it was aired. I may be wrong, but there was a lot of tv coverage regarding the airing of the movie. Does anybody know how it did when it aired?

Paul

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
THE DAY AFTER, if memory serves, was the most-watched t.v. movie of all time up to that time, hardly what one would consider a flop. Further, videocassette sales were hefty, at least initially.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
FINALLY!!! The Day After will be getting a Region 1 release...:):):):)

I bet it is partially due because of The Day After Tomorrow is being released about the same time in theaters? Similar title, different theme but both apocalyptic type movies.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
FYI, the telefilm was first shown on ABC-TV in the summer of 1983. It was on the cover of Newsweek, and its perceived antiwar message rankled the feathers of many pundits. ABC showed a post-broadcast debate about the film featuring the late Dr. Carl Sagan (a staunch anti-nuclear activist) going head-to-head with Dr. Henry Kissinger.

The film dominated the ratings that week. So, it was very much a success for a made-for-TV movie.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

Not only that, but I seem to recall that ABC aired a subsequent miniseries depicting the aftermath of a Soviet takeover of the U.S., in at attempt to provide "balance". The Day After stirred up a lot of comment.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

My parents refused to let me watch it at the time. I finally caught it on Lifetime (of all channels) several years ago. One of the most depressing things I've ever seen, but I plan on adding it to my DVD library in May.

De

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Day After mini-series? Was it aired over multiple days? I forgot about that. All I remember was kids at school telling me about melting cows. Boy was I Jealous! :p LOL

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
No, this was definitely NOT a mini-series. It was aired in a 2 1/2-hour time slow for initial broadcast, then cut and run in a two-hour slot for the re-run. The term "mini series" used in conjunction with this title for DVD release confuses (and somewhat alarms) me - I hope we're talking the Nicholas Meyer nuclear holocaust t.v. movie, and not something else entirely.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
I think it was referred to as a miniseries because originally, it was going to be three hours long, and aired in two segments over two nights, but Nick Meyer saw that much of the extra footage was too soap-opera-ish and/or redundant, and cut it down to 127 minutes (from his commentary on the laserdisc).

The monkier of miniseries stuck despite that, it seems.

I'm really crossing my fingers that it is a widescreen release. The letterboxing, at around 1.75:1, really noticably changes the framing of the images, in all cases for the better. Escpecially in the effects shots, which are revealed to be pretty heavily cropped in fullscreen mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks