Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Mary Tyler Moore Show: Season 2 coming in July (CONSOLIDATED DISCUSSION)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
471 replies to this topic

#21 of 472 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

• 4,042 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 07:10 AM

Unless they made some really stupid deals, it couldn't add more than a couple bucks a copy.
My Collection

#22 of 472 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

• 4,275 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 07:24 AM

The "different model" verbiage certainly leads me to suspect 12-13 episodes per disc, with the inevitable loss of quality. But they could certainly release them more cheaply that way. Posted Image

#23 of 472 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

• 4,042 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 07:49 AM

Fox has never packed more than 3 hours of material per disc. I can't see them starting now. This isn't Columbia we're talking about.
My Collection

#24 of 472 OFFLINE   Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

• 1,348 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 10:24 AM

Again, that verbiage is mine, not Fox's. I asked if Fox were perhaps looking at "a different model of presentation" to make it more viable. And he said yes--that's all. There is no reason to suspect that Fox would put *that* many episodes on a disc. Fox wouldn't do that and has never done that, as Dan pointed out. It would strike me as being much more likely that Fox would drop a disc's worth of extras, a booklet and/or custom/deluxe packaging--all of which were on Season 1. Cutting those would certainly help trim costs. It also could cut or curb the involvement of Asner and his son, which hurts me to say, but it would pare costs if they're being paid as an outside production outfit. Fox could just do it in-house without outside involvement, as it does with M*A*S*H.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#25 of 472 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

• 1,526 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 10:43 AM

It wouldn't hurt if anyone who is interested in this series and hasn't bought Season 1 did so.

#26 of 472 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 11:54 AM

i'll be there the day S2 is released. although i'm a little confused as to what "a different model of presentation" means. S1 was not that extraordinary a package in my eyes. just another digi-pak with 4 discs. it was very classy though, with a graphic sensibliity in keeping with the era of the show. i didn't realize the extras were all that extensive (haven't watched them). i would be more than happy with just 1 or 2 commentaries a season, if any. it would be nice to see vintage seasonal network promo material (how much does that kind of stuff cost), but otherwise, as long as the actual shows look as spectacular as they do on the S1 set, i'll happily buy 'em all. if that aspect takes a dive, then i might have to re-think it.

#27 of 472 OFFLINE   Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

• 1,167 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 12:10 PM

I liked most of the extras, but the documentary I think was too overblown. It was 87 minutes devoted to the creative process and season 1 not the entire history of the show and that made for too much about this early history of the show and it wore my patience thin after awhile. A single documentary about the whole history of the show would have been much better.

#28 of 472 OFFLINE   Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 01:39 PM

I will buy S2 as soon as it becomes available, regardless of price or configuration. I bought S1 late in the game to show my support for this classic series. Except for the pilot, my favorite episodes of MTM don't begin until Season 3. I pray we get there and beyond. Please, Fox!

#29 of 472 OFFLINE   Florian B

Florian B

• 35 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 04:40 PM

FYI: The information posted in this thread, has now made it into a TVShowsonDVD news item.

Maybe there will be an increase in demand for season 1, when there is at least hope for more seasons again. I know quite a few people that would be interested in MTM on DVD, but not if there is only one season available.
Go Fox. Posted Image

#30 of 472 OFFLINE   Brandon

• 40 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 05:25 PM

I'm curious how the release pattern of the box sets, especially if that information is made prior to the initial release, affects consumer purchasing. As previously stated, the fact that Image released two seasons of The Dick Van Dyke Show at once, coupled with the knowledge that the remaining seasons were coming soon, made my decision to purchase them a simple one. I would imagine that Trekkies are similarly confident when they buy the various Star Trek TV shows. In contrast, it is much more difficult to buy box sets not knowing if anymore would be released (Law and Order anyone?). I realize that the studio can't commit to something that's going to tank, but are they handicapping present sales by not supporting future releases? Should they take that into account more?
I do exist

#31 of 472 OFFLINE   Cathy Suzan

Cathy Suzan

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 04:58 AM

The response to my 'Mary Tyler Moore Show'season 2 outcry has been great. There are more fans out there. Now I see that there is a glimmer of hope. However, there may be a dark cloud looming. I read an article that FOX will be releasing the dreaded 'Mary & Rhoda' reunion movie. Even worse, the article stated that future full season releases will depend on how well the reunion movie will sell. If this is true, there will be no future full season sets. It did bad in the ratings and equally bad with the critics. And for those of us who saw some of it, it was horrible. does Fox really think that a crappy reunion movie will fare better than a full season dvd, or is this just a subtle snub?Posted Image

#32 of 472 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

• 1,526 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 07:51 AM

Actually, the movie did quite well in the ratings. However, I agree it wasn't a very good film.

#33 of 472 OFFLINE   Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 08:29 AM

Come on Fox! Stop jerking the public around!!.You already release so much crap as it is!! At least MTM is a quality show for Christ's sake. The demand is there! There's something called "marketing" look into it!. That's the main reason why Season 1 probably didn't meet your sales expectations!! My $0.02 cents Cheers!

#34 of 472 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 08:55 AM

Since then, however, Ventura Distribution has moved the status of this item to "postponed; new date TBA".

My thought at the time was that great sales of this reunion special would prove that a market existed for the original episodes, that was somehow missed. I *never* proposed that lack of sales of the reunion show would mean that a market for the series that inspired it was absent in any way.

Also, I have *never* heard that Fox wanted to distribute the reunion on DVD themselves...I've heard that it was Ventura all along. Perhaps Fox "took it back", and that's why Ventura no longer lists it. I don't know that, though. I just checked with Fox's info system for upcoming releases, and there is nothing MTMS related in the system (no M&R special, and no S2 for that matter).

The latest I've heard about upcoming opportunities for Fox to release more MTMS on DVD was right here on HTF, when Randy Salas mentioned was Fox's Peter Staddon had told him for an upcoming article. With Randy's permission, I reprinted that information here for TVShowsOnDVD.

I would like to see the original source of Cathy's information, and read it in context, before anyone else jumps on Fox and gets negative over this. No offense Cathy, but it is entirely possible you misconstrued something. Please point us to the original article.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#35 of 472 OFFLINE   Ben Phillips

Ben Phillips

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 09:55 AM

Actually, in the cases of both "MTM" and "Law and Order," the studios in question DID announce plans for the respective second seasons, both to be released early this year. They later decided to put those plans on hold. Similarly, Image may have declared its intention to release "Dick Van Dyke" seasons 3 - 5, but they could easily slam the brakes on those releases if seasons 1 and 2 didn't measure up to sales expectations. Unfortunately, announcing something does not ensure that it will indeed see a release -- there are no guarantees. Also, as great a commitment as Image showed in releasing two "Van Dyke" seasons simultaneously, I have to question how well that would work in the majority of situations. As many shows as there are currently either in release or being planned for release, there are a lot of people that simply can't afford to pick up two seasons of one show at a time, and a lot of people would likely hold off on buying the second season until they had finished the first. However, it seems to me that how well a product sells immediately after it is released is a big part of whether or not it is seen as profitable, and I wonder whether studios like Fox and Columbia would be willing to watch a second season set sell over an extended period of time rather than racking up bigger sales early on. But these are just the incoherent wonderings of a mind that's had way too much time to think about these things. I still think the most important thing for all of us to keep in mind this holiday season is what a great gift item the MTM Season 1 set would make for friends and family alike.
-Ben Phillips

#36 of 472 OFFLINE   Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 05:12 PM

As much as I love the MTM show, hell will freeze over before I buy that Reunion atrocity, even if it means I have to wait a little longer for Season 2.

#37 of 472 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 05:44 PM

I honestly don't think this reunion special is much of an indication of the demand for season 2. I mean this is what a single disc release that can probably be had for under $20? Its not a 3 or 4 disc box set pricing for around $40, so someone might be willing to buy this but not spend the money for MTM season 2. As much as I want season 2, I am not buying this on the off chance it will convince Fox to release season 2. Besides if Fox isn't behind this, how would they get access to the finincial information that would point to them as proof that season 2 would sell ok? I suspect that this thread will be merged with the other 1 but I did want to get in a word before I left for 5 days away from the computer and HTF.

#38 of 472 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 09:28 PM

Well, Fox IS the holder of the overall property, and as such would have to have licensed it out to Ventura to distribute. As such they would surely have access to the sales data. There ARE a lot of pitfalls to the thought I posted back in August. Still, if it helps fans of the show identify themselves as potential DVD buyers, then there has to be some value in that data. However, if the reunion special stinks (I missed it, so I can't say either way) then a DVD of a stinky show not selling shouldn't surprise anyone, or be useful as indicative data.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#39 of 472 OFFLINE   Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks

Second Unit

• 381 posts
  • LocationLouisville, Ky

Posted November 25 2003 - 03:34 AM

I would think that if Fox had any indication the reunion special would have sold very well at all they would have held on to the rights to the DVD distribution and not farmed it out to Ventura. I can't see them basing their decision to do a second season on how this sells. I think they will more likely come back with a best of MTM based on poorly MTM: S1 performed saleswise.
Scott Shanks
Louisville, KY
My DVD Collection

#40 of 472 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

• 2,447 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 06:48 AM

There was tons of marketing done for the set. I remember seeing a number of ads for the set, and I wasn't even looking for them. Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users