What's new

Mary Tyler Moore Show: Season 2 coming in July (CONSOLIDATED DISCUSSION) (1 Viewer)

Cathy Suzan

Stunt Coordinator
I am so dissapointed to learn that the people at Fox won't be releasing any more complete seasons of The Mary Tyler Moore Show due to dissmal sales. It is such a classic show, and yet, there just aren't many fans out there. It was my favorite show when i grew up and, when the complete season dvd first came out i was ecstatic. I bought it and waited eagerly for the next installment. Are there any MTM fans out there who feel my pain?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
yeah, several and the subject has been discussed extensively. Every idea from licensing it to a company like image entertainment, to releasing all future seasons sands extras has been brought up. The only way Fox will reconsider is if they are convinced that it will make them money to release it, and going by first season sales they aren't convinced. So, I guess you could always buy 4 or 5 copies for family and friends, but yes we are out here and feel your pain. Any thread mentioning TV shows on DVD, will eventually lead to a mention of MTM season 2. It was even complained about in an Andy Griffith thread.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I feel your pain.

Fox is releasing Lost In Space in January.
They aren't putting lot of money into restoring
these epiosdes for fear of ending up with another
MTM debacle. Fans may never see Seasons 2 & 3
released of this sci-fi show if the first set
sells badly.

I guess I can't blame the studio for now wanting
to throw a lot of money into something they think
may not sell.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I'll do my part to make sure Lost In Space is a success and I've never even seen the show (but I've been meaning to). It's a little scary to me as a diehard fan of TV on DVD to see that Fox, out of all the studios, is the most hesitant to release classic shows on DVD since they own the rights to so many of them (including a top 3 all-time favorite, The Wonder Years).

At least they are showing a long-term commitment to M*A*S*H. Also, it was good to find out that if a show's first season sells well enough, Fox can generally bank on all future releases to sell nearly as well.

R. Kay

Second Unit
Big mistake releasing the set for $50.00 the first time around!!!

Now we'll end up with squat.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was fooled by the thread title, too.

Please allow me to change it so that nobody
misunderstands its intent.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I asked Fox exec Peter Staddon about MTM2 while interviewing him for a Star Tribune article I'm writing for Nov. 30.

He said: "We're looking at ways of bringing that out, so there is hope. We finished it, and there's just a question of can we make it work better than the first season worked."

Fox might change the model of presentation to make it more viable, he added.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Seems logical to me that this quote ("We finished it") would be the most encouraging sign of an eventual MTM-2 DVD set. Or is it standard procedure for some studios to totally finish a project (like a TV season with 24 episodes), and then just do nothing with it at all, letting the finished material waste away in a warehouse somewhere?

Has this happened before...where a TV season has been completed, but ultimately never sees the light of day? And if so, how much money has FOX lost by just making the master discs, but never duplicating them?

Ben Phillips

Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have any guesses as to what Mr. Staddon might have been alluding to with this statement? I'm not sure what's meant by "model of presentation." Otherwise, an encouraging statement.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Don't expect the same elaborate packaging and wealth of supplements. "Model of presentation" was my term. I asked if that was something being looked at as likely to change, and he replied affirmatively.

Florian B

Agent

I wonder what this different model is supposed to be.

If it's Best ofs - I'm out of it and I guess many others that bought S1 would be too, Best ofs are just another target audience.

If it means no extras from S3 and on (I guess there is no reason not to release S2 extras, when they are finished anyway), well, I would prefer extras, but as long as the episodes look just as good, I will buy.

Also, now that The Dick van Dyke Show is being released on DVD, I wonder how Image made sure this is profitable, so they could announce all 5 seasons when S1+2 are just out. These sets have lots of extras too and they are not quite cheap either.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

Right. The Dick Van Dyke Show sets are actually quite a bit more expensive, but they made it easier for me shell out the money right away by releasing two seasons on the same day and guaranteeing the remaining seasons in the coming year.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
The Van Dyke shows also had an excellent rebate program plus very good opening week prices. Although they list for $70 each I was able to snag them for about $35 each after rebates and incentives.

I hope Image does a similar thing with the other Van Dyke seasons.

And, yes, I am one of those waiting for more MTM seasons. My S1 looks very lonely :)

Claude North

Second Unit
Recently, TV Land stopped airing reruns of TMTMS because they were unable to renew the contract to air the episodes. Now, I know that syndication rights and home video rights are two separate things, and not necesarily connected, but I can't help but wonder if TMTMS' sudden unavailable state could be an attempt to create a hunger for the first season set. BARNEY MILLER is another series that TV Land was unable to renew, and now it's being released (same goes for CHARLIE'S ANGELS).

Of course, THE SIMPSONS airs 3 times a day in Philadelphia and that hasn't hurt sales of the DVD sets, so there might not be any connection.

MattHR

Screenwriter

Let's hope that Fox doesn't cram the entire season onto two discs (like Columbia's "Mad About You"). They could easily get by with three discs (sans extensive supplements) and still maintain a quality presentation. Fox has been averaging about $10 (retail) per disc with their TV sets, which is a great value. If they were to release MTM:S2 on three discs, and drop the fold-out digipak in favor of the new 3-disc slim Amary, they could probably cut the retail price to $29.95-$34.95. It should sell better than S1 at that price. Maybe they'll re-package and re-price S1, then properly promote the two sets together. I'm all for anything that will help this series sell, so more seasons will follow!

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
If they already made the second season extras, our chances of getting them are good. My understanding is that once they're made, it doesn't cost much more to put them on the disc.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, now there is a little bit of hope. I will buy season 2 if it comes out, my MTM season 1 is just sittin ghere lonely also.

If they put all 24 episodes on 3 discs like they did with M*A*S*H with no extras I'd buy it. Remember other than commentaries, all of the extras were on disc 4 anyway, so they are in the habbit of 8 per disc.

Speaking of M*A*S*H though, come on Fox, you've got 6 seasons and a movie to release, please promise me that some of these will contain some of the wealth of material done on M*A*S*H. I'll buy them anyway, but still make the finalle a special edition or something.

I want my MTM on DVD to go with my DVD on DVD.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Unless they have to pay someone a per-copy licensing fee. In that case, they'd save money by leaving them off.

Plus, they'll add to the volume of material, possibly necessitating extra disc(s). Then it would be a savings in manufacturing time/materials/labor to ditch them.

And extra discs/licensed content would raise the retail price, which was a big complaint the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks