What's new

Hanna Barbera fans rejoice! Jonny Quest, Flintstones, Jetsons coming! (1 Viewer)

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
According to the Digital Bits Rumor Mill, first season sets of the Flintstones and Jetsons are in the works, as is the Jonny Quest complete set!! Way to go Warner!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
According to the rumor mill, Tiny Toons and Animaniacs are also coming... but we haven't heard any development on that yet.

We'll see...

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Great News. I hope the Flintstones has a regular interval for the 6 seasons planned. Hopefully at least every 4 months.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
In all honesty, and with a " :D " on my face as I say it, I think our good friend Bill Hunt had a bit of a brain fart when he posted that! :laugh:

As I said here, The Bits has said before that Flintstones and Jetsons was on-the-way. In fact, we at TVShowsOnDVD had known a bit about it, but were sworn to secrecy at the time. When The Bits let the cat out of the bag in late November, we finally copped to it.

Batman:TAS has also been discussed as season sets in the past, though since then (in Dec.) a discouraging development happenned with both B:TAS and with Batman Beyond as well. Nevertheless, I still hold onto strong indications that season sets really are being scoped out. It's just how far off these could be which gives me pause.

Jonny Quest is the REAL story here. It's never really come up before, at least on Warner's end. I'll be glad to see this one come out. A close friend of mine is a super fan of this one, and I've always wanted to give him a release date! :wink:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I taped all 26 Jonny Quest eps. off of Cartoon Network's "Boomerang" Channel a few years ago....but I've always wondered how much of each episode might be cut out. A nice, crisp, colorful DVD release of "Classic JQ" will be most welcome. :)

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
I wish Warners would package the first 2 seasons of Scooby Doo as season sets. Not all of these original 25 episodes are out including my favorite, Spooky Space Kook.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Jonny Quest, yeah! I can't believe there were only 26 episodes though, since it sure seemed like a lot more. I guess that's the difference of being a kid. This still has one of the best theme songs ever....those drums....those horns! Whoa, yeah!!! :D It's been running through my head ever since I read this announcement early this AM.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
When they do the Flintstones first season set, I hope that they get to include the rarely-seen pilot, "The Flagstones", in the set. And also, they should include the original opening and end credits that I've seen recently on TV. When I was growing up, and I would see "The Flintstones", they would have two variants on the same opening and end credits scenes shown with every episode, of the Flintstones and the Rubbles going to the movies. It'll be nice to have that series in its original format.

Now if we could just get some of the other Hanna-Barbera toons on DVD, and there's a bunch of them out there, we'll all be set!

As for "Batman: TAS" season DVD sets, those would be nice, but they should also do the same for "Superman: TAS".

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Jonny Quest only had 26 episodes - WOW! Many of those really creeped me out when I was a kid. Another item on my list of things to introduce my 4 year old son to down the road.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
:D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Really tickled about the Jonny Quest info. I was a fan of this show originally. My brother and I eagerly awaited each episode.

I got hooked all over again a few years back when the Cartoon Network ran their "farewell marathon" right before the revamped modern version started. I took the time to introduce my son to the show.:D

We have both been waiting for this.;)

tomwarnock

Auditioning
Jonny Quest was so far ahead of his time that the classics aren't even shown on US Cartoon channels anymore because of the violence! I LOVED THAT CARTOON!!! I was born in "60" so I was in the perfect age group for this one - I think I can recall parts of all 26 episodes! This was one cartoon that I am really suprised was never made into live action and it would probably work the best that way! Haley Joel Osment as Jonny - maybe a Sean Connery as Dr. Quest and lets throw in George Clooney as Race Bannon! Hadji anybody? Maybe Daryl Sabara who played Juni Cortez on Spy Kids... it would be great!!!

Jonny Quest on DVD Rocks!!!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Still waiting for the original Scooby Doo series, but I'm glad about the Flintstones, I might even buy the Jonny Quest set when it comes out. The Jetsons will be the one I have to be talked in to, but come on Warner give me more Scooby!

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
The Flintstones 1st Season (1960 - 1961)

1. The Flintstone Flyer (Barney invents the pedal-powered "Barney-copter" to sneak away from the wives' opera plans for their bowling tournament)

2. Hot-Lips Hannigan (Fred & Barney frequent the "Rockland" night-club and meet old friend Hot-Lips Hannigan)

3. The Swimming Pool (Fred & Barney build a joint swimming pool, and the anger ensues - includes the original 45-second network "pilot" sequence produced to sell the series)

4. No Help Wanted (Fred helps get Barney a job as a repossessor - but Barney's first assignment is to repossess Fred's TV)

5. The Split Personality (A conk on the head turns Fred into a an aristocratic sophisticate)

6. Monster From The Tar Pits (A Hollyrock film company hires Fred as Gary Granite's stunt double)

7. The Baby Sitters (Fred & Barney get stuck babysitting little Egbert. They take him over to Joe Rockhead's house to watch the fights, and trouble ensues)

8. At The Races (Fred bets his entire paycheck on a longshot)

9. The Engagement Ring (Barney buys a belated engagement ring for Betty, which he asks Fred to keep hidden. When Wilma discovers the ring and assumes it is hers, Fred tries to con Barney into going several rounds with a boxing champ to raise the $500 for a second ring)

10. Hollyrock, Here I Come (Wilma & Betty win a trip to Hollyrock from a television contest.)

11. The Golf Champion (Fred's victory in the Loyal Order of Dinosaurs golf tournament is soured when club president Barney withholds his trophy for non-payment of club dues)

12. The Sweepstakes Ticket (Barney hides the sweepstakes ticket he and Fred bought in the lining of an old coat, which Betty subsequently gives to a passing hobo.)

13. The Drive-In (Fred & Barney secretly try to buy a restaurant.)

14. The Prowler (With a burglar on the loose, Betty and Wilma decide to take Judo lessons to protect themselves, much to the ridicule of Fred.)

15. The Girls' Night Out (Fred cuts a record for Wilma at an amusement park. When it is discovered by a group of teens, Fred suddenly becomes singing sensation "Hi-Fye")

16. Arthur Quarry's Dance Class (Fred & Barney sign up for dance classes so as not to be embarressed at a charity ball.)

17. The Big Bank Robbery (Fred & Barney find a bag with $86,000. When they return it to the bank, they become the prime suspects in the robbery. The wives set a trap for the real culprits, and Fred saves the day.)

18. The Snorkasaurus Hunter (Fred convinces Wilma and the Rubbles to spend their vacation in the mountains hunting for a snorkasaurus. Wilma insists that the captured animal be taken home as their pet, Dino.)

19. The Hot Piano (Fred buys a hot piano for Wilma as an anniversary gift from 88 Fingers Louie.)

20. The Hypnotist (Fred hypnotizes Barney into thinking that he is a frisky puppy, and is unable to bring him back.)

21. Love Letters On The Rocks (Jealous Fred's discovery of a love poem that was sent to Wilma prompts him to hire private detective Perry Gunite. But the evidence leads to Barney as the chief suspect.)

22. The Tycoon (When industrial tycoon J.L. Gotrocks decides he wants to rub shoulders with the common people, dead-ringer Fred is hired to fill in for him in the board room.)

23. The Astra' Nuts (After mistakingly signing up for a 3-year stint in the Army, Fred and Barney blunder their way into volunteering for the first lunar landing mission.)

24. The Long, Long Weekend (Friend Gus Gravel invites the Flintstones and Rubbles to his sea-side hotel for an all-expense paid vacation. They soon find that the hotel's planned "activities" seem a lot like work.)

25. In The Dough (Wilma and Betty are finalists in a television bake-off, but on the eve of the event, they contract measles. Donning wigs and dresses, Fred and Barney take their places in the contest.)

26. The Good Scout (Assuming command of a boy scout troop, Fred quickly learns the hazards of a "routine" camping trip.)

27. Rooms For Rent (Tired of hearing their husbands complaining about finances, Wilma and Betty rent out spare rooms to piano and bongo-playing student musicians.)

28. Fred Flintstone, Before And After (Fred agrees to appear in a before-and-after weight reduction commercial, but is humiliated to learn that he is the "before" example. An over-eaters group takes him on as a challenge as he tries to drop 25 pounds.)

29. The Hit Song Writers (After discovering that Barney is a closet poet, Fred manages to link him up with songwriter Hoagy Carmichael, and the three set out to write a song.)

30. Droop-Along-Flintstone (The Flintstones and Rubbles take care of Fred's rich cousins' ranch while they are on vacation. Fred and Barney stumble onto a nearby film location, where they are chased by cowboys and indians.)

The Jetsons 1962-1963 (complete series)

1. Rosie The Robot
2. A Date With Jet Screamer
3. The Space Car
4. The Coming Of Astro
5. Jetson's Night Out
6. The Good Little Scouts
7. The Flying Suit
8. Rosie's Boyfriend
9. Elroy's TV Show
10. Uniblab
11. A Visit From Grandpa
12. Astro's Top Secret
13. Elroy's Pal
14. Test Pilot
15. Millionaire Astro
16. The Little Man
17. Las Venus
18. Jane's Driving Lesson
19. G.I. Jetson
20. Miss Solar System
21. TV Or Not TV
22. Private Property
23. Dude Planet
24. Elroy's Mob

Jonny Quest 1964-1965 (complete series)

1. Mystery Of The Lizard Men
2. Arctic Splashdown
3. The Curse Of Anubus
4. Pursuit Of The Po-Ho
5. Riddle Of The Gold
6. Treasure Of The Temple
7. Calcutta Adventure
8. The Robot Spy
9. Double Danger
10. Shadow Of The Condor
11. Skull And Double Crossbones
12. The Dreadful Doll
13. A Small Matter Of Pygmies
14. Dragons Of Ashida
15. Turu The Terrible
16. The Fraudulent Volcano
17. The Werewolf Of The Timberland
18. Pirates From Below
19. Attack Of The Tree People
20. The Invisible Monster
21. The Devil's Tower
22. The Quetong Missile Mystery
23. The House Of Seven Gargoyles
24. Terror Island
25. Monster In The Monastery
26. The Sea Hunt

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator

Unbelievable, isn't it? The Jetsons debuted in prime time, like The Flintstones, Top Cat and Jonny Quest. Slotted by ABC against two popular family shows, "Walt Disney's Wonderful World Of Color" and "Dennis The Menace", "The Jetsons" initially met with disappointing ratings. When the 24 episodes were re-broadcast on Saturday mornings on ABC the following season, the reception was much better.

The cartoons changed from network to network afterwards. September 26, 1964 to September 18, 1965 on CBS. October 2, 1965 to September 2, 1967 on NBC. September 13, 1969 to September 4, 1971 on CBS. September 11, 1971 to September 4, 1976 again on NBC, February 3, 1979 to September 5, 1981 and September 18, 1982 to April 2, 1983 on NBC.

In 1985, 41 new episodes joined the original episodes in syndication, introducing a new character Orbitty, a tiny alien pet with spring-loaded legs and suction-cup feet.

Ten more episodes were added in 1987, as well as new movies "The Flintstones Meet The Jetsons" and "Rockin' With Judy Jetson".

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Bob, thanks for the history lesson I didn't know that about the Jetsons, and that orbity came much later.
You learn something new everyday at the HTF.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks