• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 10:36 AM

For Christmas I bought my brother-in-law the first and second seasons of the HBO prison drama, OZ. Since we were visiting captives for the holidays, my fiancee and I watched both seasons with him, and quickly got hooked.

I understand this series is no longer aired. Any word on when the rest of the seasons might be released to DVD?

Also, does anyone know how many seasons there were...?

Thanks!
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

#2 of 7 Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 10:46 AM

Season 3 out Feb. 24

Six seasons total 56 episodes (season 4 has 16 episodes)

#3 of 7 Nkosi

Nkosi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 11:01 AM

According to the series creator's website, Season 4 is supposedly coming out Oct. 5, 2004.

Oz really laid the groundwork for such great HBO series as The Sopranos, The Wire, etc.

Although popular, it never garnered anywhere near the widespread adoration from fans and critics that such shows as The Sopranos and Sex in the City received. This was primarily due to the fact that it's a very mature and intense show that most people frankly just can't take/ stomach.

However, people in the industry respect the work, as evident by so many of the cast members going on to do such great work in projects ranging from The Sopranos to Spider-Man to The Matrix sequels to Off-Broadway plays and so on.

Years from now I believe Oz will get its due praise as the revolutionary and groundbreaking show it was. Unbelievable writing, acting, directing, and realism. I've talked to people who have worked in prison systems who feel Oz accurately portrayed life in prison.

#4 of 7 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,256 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 01:57 PM

Eh No, I loved OZ , well Seasons 1-3 at least, then it all got really silly with Aging Drug plotlines. But when it was good it was good. But as good as it was I lost interest in the series and never watched the final season. I don't know it it's the Brutality of the series or the fact that eventually you cared for no one, but I just gave up. In fact I have seaon one and it sits on my shelf unopened I have no desire to watch it again. Sopranos on the other hand I can watch seasons 1-3 a million times.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#5 of 7 Lloyd White

Lloyd White

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 10:27 PM

Too bad, as the later seasons are pretty damn good, but if you're looking for happy endings, and sunny atmosphere, you'd best stay away from this series. I view the series as sort of an analogy to what the human race is. That circle of immorality, violence, corruption, self destruction, and unmitigated eviliness that will continue to boil over until the this world ends itself.
My DVD Owned List
My DVD Wish List
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

#6 of 7 Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted January 13 2004 - 12:47 AM

Fantastic series that, while it might have lost its way at a couple of points, seemed to have found it in the end. One of the only series that seemed to have the guts to make major changes seemingly at random. No characters were safe (Even the one person we thought they couldn't possibly kill was murdered). Overall a worthy purchase, and I'm hoping that if the Oct release for S4 is correct, that S5 and S6 follow in 2005.
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#7 of 7 Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted January 13 2004 - 03:07 AM

Its one of those rare TV serise (that I know of) to stay fresh and entertaining throughout its whole run. There are few shows I can add to that list.
DVD Collection | Video Game Collection | Live Gamertag: vicodinjunkie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users