Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Alice in Wonderland (Highly Recommended!!!)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 of 54 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 08:05 AM

Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 54 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,735 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 08:12 AM

Great review David. Looking forward to this gem. Posted Image

#3 of 54 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 08:19 AM

David, Great review. Thanks again. -Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#4 of 54 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 08:19 AM

Count this as yet another 1 of those titles I probably wasn't going to get until reading DaVid's review. I might not get it right away, but I'll end up with it at some point I'm sure. Thanks for the review

#5 of 54 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,698 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 08:34 AM

Good Review David. Although I won't be upgrading because this has never been a favorite of mine either. It starts great for the 1st 20 minutes and then stuggles to keep your attention as it tries to fit in too much for 75 minutes. Its definately still worth seeing for the incredible animation though.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#6 of 54 OFFLINE   JakeLip

JakeLip

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 09:00 AM

Alice was never a perticular favorite of mine, honestly. Although I've seen it a few times, I've never owned it in any format before. Still, it is a solid piece of classic animated entertainment and has finally recieved its due on DVD, so I'm really looking forward to getting this (plus 10 minutes of Song of the South, too!) Now if only Disney would release that whole movie. Oh well, this is a start. And enough about that here -- that's another thread.

Here's hoping that the Pocahontas Masterpiece Edition is just as packed. (The Lilo & Stitch CE, now to be branded as a Masterpiece Edition, is already assured to be exellent: Disney told WDFA-F animators to help them make it the best Disney DVD ever released for a non-Pixar movie, so I've got high hopes for that.)

Anyway, thanks a lot for the great review David! Posted Image Have you gotten The Lion King 1 1/2 yet? Very interested to hear your thoughts on that, since from what I've been hearing it's got the best buzz EVER for a direct-to-video project and I've more or less decided to break my "no Disney cheapquel" rule for the first time on DVD for that. Thanks.

#7 of 54 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 09:05 AM

A fine review David. Your summation of the how well Carroll’s work is translated to the screen, pretty much sums up my view: good fun, but real fans of the books can’t help but be a bit disappointed.
¡Time is not my master!

#8 of 54 OFFLINE   James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 09:40 AM

David, please can you expand on the Art Galleries. These are often my favourite feature of Disney's multi-disc sets. I just wonder how many their are and what the contents are like. The European DVD had a brief "scrapbook" (about the same level of detail as the Oliver and Company and Peter Pan special editions). I would be interested if this release has more.
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#9 of 54 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 09:50 AM

I have not seen this before and your recommendation sealed it along with the 10 minute excerpt of SOTS

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#10 of 54 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 10:51 AM

James,

I'll take a look tonight and update my post with some details about the image galleries...

Glad to see so many folks interested in this title. Even if it's not my personal favorite, I want it in my library to help me towards my goal of "completing" my Disney library. The work that Disney has put into making this a first-class DVD presentation will be apparent once you get the disc. And Yes...those 10 minutes from SOTS easily justify taking the plunge!

dave Posted Image

#11 of 54 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,104 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 10:59 AM

Sold!

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#12 of 54 OFFLINE   Larry P

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 12:13 PM

Yes, I think it's "avant-garde" for a Disney film. It isn't quite as formulatic as most of the other Disney features, but I never understood how this was a bad thing. I think many of those early films were all different enough from each other in their own way. What makes the film work for me is Alice herself. The rotoscoping on her is just tremendous, some of the best rotoscope work ever. Also, her level of stubborness sets her apart from most Disney heroines. It's important for Alice to act stubborn because the point of the story is that adults don't always act like adults even though they expect children to. So Alice is the one who is always trying to keep a level head amongst all the insane adults in Wonderland. She's just a charming character. The funny thing is that Disney actually has treated this film better than a lot of their other more beloved classics over the years. I'm glad Disney took the time to work on the original picture and the promotional materials instead of putting out a Cheapquel or two. The extra promotinal TV spots seem to indicate that Walt really cared about this story and really wanted to make it work. I'm not aware how involved he actually was in this picture, but I think he had a big enough influence over it which is why it worked as well as it did.

#13 of 54 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for your comments Larry. You share some thoughtful insights. I certainly concur that the rotoscoping on the Alice character is supurb. Her movements are graceful, natural, and elegant. The realism of her animation also contrasts sharply with the more stylized characters she encounters which sets up a visual dichotomy for her, the "real" person surrounded by characters in a world of make-believe.

#14 of 54 OFFLINE   GarySchrock

GarySchrock

Second Unit

• 294 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 01:40 PM

Gee David, run out of adjectives for Disney releases? Highly recommended just seems so plain from you. Definitely picking this up myself.

#15 of 54 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Producer

• 3,114 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 01:45 PM

"Alice" isn't my favorite classic Disney film, but with the quality of Disney's recent DVDs, I think it's worth a purchase. Is there not an audio commentary, or did I misread your review? I really enjoyed the commentaries on Fantasia, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, and I wish there was one on here.

#16 of 54 OFFLINE   Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 04:20 PM

You can count me in!!!Posted Image
Master Poe: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Caine: I hear the water. I hear the birds.
Master Poe: Do you hear your own heart beat.
Caine: No.
Master Poe: Do you hear the grasshopper, which is at your feet.Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?Master Poe: Young man, how is it...

#17 of 54 OFFLINE   Joe Cortez

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 04:50 PM

Great review; the inclusion of an "Alice Comedies" short alone is enough to warrant a purchase from me.

#18 of 54 ONLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,207 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 06:16 PM

Terrific Review!!

I was going to add this title to my collection anyway; but reading your review has just ratcheted up my anticipation for it by at least a factor of five!

Oh ... And by the way, where can I purchase those Beatles' digital re-mixes?? Posted Image
Joseph
---------------

#19 of 54 OFFLINE   Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 06:42 PM

A must buy for me. Sheesh, January 27 is the day of reckoning for animation. The Critic, G.I. Joe, and now this. Posted Image
I need a new signature.

#20 of 54 OFFLINE   Estevan Lapena

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 06:55 PM

I'll be getting this for sure!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users