Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading to Klipsch = new receiver?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped

Second Unit

• 255 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 12:03 PM

I'm thinking of replacing my JBL Studio Series home theater with some Klipsch Synergy Series (SF-3 and such). Currently, my JBLs are being run by the Yamaha HTR-5260. The receiver has been running the JBLs w/o a problem, but I'm curious to whether getting the Klipsch meant I would need a new receiver?
I will strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers...

#2 of 8 Ray_C

Ray_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 01:19 PM

Honestly, I think that the Synergies would be a step down from the JBL S-series. You might want to look at the Reference series if you're after the Klipsch sound. They'll be more efficeint than your JBL's, and possibly a bit brighter, so the Yammie might exaggerate the high end (some find the Yammies overly bright compared to the more neutral Denons and warmer Harman Kardons). Are you unhappy with your speakers?

#3 of 8 Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped

Second Unit

• 255 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 04:27 PM

Not that I'm unhappy with my S-38a, I just found the sound of the Synergy towers to be superior in terms of overall clarity. Plus, I have the opportunity to get the entire Synergy Series (SF-3 towers, SS-3 surrounds, SC-3 center) for $700 bucks brand new (whereas they cost about $1400 regularly).

Hmm....food for thought I guess..
I will strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers...

#4 of 8 Ray_C

Ray_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 06:17 PM

I still think the Synergies would be a step down in terms of overall sonic quality, although I have nothing against the Synergies. I had them until I got Reference 25's all around for my system. If you like the SF-3 towers, you'll probably REALLY dig the RF-25's or -35's.

#5 of 8 Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit

• 484 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 06:56 PM

I used to have Klipsch KSB 3.1 for my mains and surround before 6.1 surround came out. They sounded great until the SB-3 came out. Not sure if its considered an upgraded, so I exchanged the KSB-3.1 for the SB-3. They sound so much better compared to the 3.1's. Klipsch made some improvements and it shows!!

Now I truely made an upgrade to the RB-75s. WOW! They sure blew the SB-3's away!! I don't know why, but I like the looks of a bookshelf speaker on a stand compared to towers.

You can see it here.

http://www.geocities.com/figarou_dvd

The current Klipsch Synergy Series is much better than the older models. (KSB-3.1 ETC)But, try for the reference series if all possible.

#6 of 8 Bobby T

Bobby T

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted January 12 2004 - 01:46 AM

If you like Klipsch better than the JBL S series then it would not be a step down because you are getting the speaker that sounds best to you. But I have to agree with the Reference series sounding way better than the Syneregies. Not that the Synergies are bad, just the Reference is that much better. I was blown away when I upgraded from Synergy towers to RF3-IIs.
We childproofed our house but one managed to get in anyway.

Threats appeal a lot more to us than they do to ordinary people.
Hannibal Smith

#7 of 8 brian b2

brian b2

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 26 2011 - 02:37 PM

i went from those syngery sf-3 3 you are reffering to to the refernce seriies, and they are sf-3 sound good, but my yammie pushing those refernce series sound so much better, go refernce, you won't be disappointed at all

#8 of 8 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,554 posts

Posted August 26 2011 - 09:47 PM

You're replying to a very old post, Brian. Older perhaps than... who knows.

But welcome to the forum!

Cees