Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Self Defense Items?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 OFFLINE   Chuck C

Chuck C

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted January 10 2004 - 08:38 AM

My girlfriend went back to college early, called me just now, and said she was approached by a man dressed in black with something in his hand like a butterfly knife. The man let out a creepy 'hey' and my girlfriend ran into her house (where her roommates and a couple guys were hanging out). Luckily, nothing happened, but I am worried. Other than self defense classes, where can one buy pepper spray or mace? What other concelable self defense items are available?

#2 of 42 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,875 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted January 10 2004 - 10:21 AM

Where does she go to college-locally? Ohio just passed a concealed-carry bill. So she could train up, get a permit, and carry a firearm. Most colleges ban them but she appears to live off-campus. See www.ohioccw.org/ for details. A small double-action revolver is safe in that it isn't cocked and therefore is extremely unlikely to ever accidently fire. There are many firearms dealers in Ohio - I buy from many of them myself. Try Southern Ohio Gun www.southernohiogun.com/ .
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#3 of 42 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,424 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted January 10 2004 - 10:31 AM

Wow! I can't believe how quick one is to reply with "get a gun!"
If your girlfriend goes to a camping supply store and tells the clerk she is going hiking, she can but bear spray which is like a strong version of pepper spray. That should be a pretty good defense measure.

**Mods, if my response is inappropriate, please delete it**

"Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#4 of 42 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted January 10 2004 - 11:16 AM

Statistically speaking..women with pepper-spray = rape case. I put my vote to "Move to a better neighborhood". Then buy a gun.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#5 of 42 OFFLINE   Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted January 10 2004 - 11:43 AM

A pistol on school grounds would not work out well. Best bet would be a gas pistol. Looks like a gun, sounds like a gun, but shoots different variation of incapacitating gas. They are quiet popular in Europe or other places where firearms are altogether prohibited.

#6 of 42 OFFLINE   Chuck C

Chuck C

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted January 10 2004 - 12:11 PM

ooo the bear spray...might have to check that out

and for pete's sake! no gun!

now, where can i find pepper spray?

#7 of 42 OFFLINE   Jason Pancake

Jason Pancake

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted January 10 2004 - 12:41 PM

Richard,
Suggestions for self-defense measures were asked for by ChuckC and was aimed at everyone on this forum. Please don't berate others when a suggestion that you don't happen to agree with is made. There are many of us on this forum who do believe that legally owning a firearm is the best means of self-defense. Your post is not only inappropriate for this forum IMO but is insulting to many.

ChuckC,
There are a great many resources online that can help you find the best form of self-defense for you and your girlfriend. For Example:
http://www.americanselfdefense.com/

Firearms and pepper sprays are just a small fraction of what is available for self-defense.

Good Luck ChuckC

#8 of 42 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted January 10 2004 - 12:49 PM

She could get a CCW permit but a gun in an untrained hand is very dangerous. More likely she get it taken from her. Pepper spray does very little to a motivated person and reacts differently to different people. Some have a hard time breathing hours later and with others it doesn't bother them at all.

Best thing to do is just call the police station (not 911) and report it. Second best thing to do is take some self defense classes at the school, they all offer them usually. Get her to get her friends involved, make it fun.

#9 of 42 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,875 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted January 10 2004 - 02:40 PM

Steve,
Please notice that I said get training FIRST then get the permit. Getting a permit in Ohio requires training in any case. Dialing the police won't help if confronted with an armed assailant. Running away quickly is better than that. If you called the police on a cell phone, (1) it would take them about 15 minutes at best to respond (i.e. too late to prevent them carving you up) and (2) it is currently not possible to get a geographic fix from a cell phone call (I know, I've written patents for various companies trying to solve this problem in light of the FCC mandate).

Chuck,
Training is the important thing in any case. There is no "magic box" someone can keep in their purse to keep them safe. Your friend will have to spend some time in training no matter what. I suggest then that she join up with a womens' self-defense organization such as Mother's Arms www.mothersarms.org . These will walk her through the alternatives and provide training. Just carrying pepper spray or other "concealable self-defense tools" - with no training it their use - may be not useful and may also be illegal in your jurisdiction. Please check what's legal in your jurisdiction first.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#10 of 42 OFFLINE   Chuck C

Chuck C

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted January 10 2004 - 03:06 PM

sounds good dennis, i'll check that out

#11 of 42 OFFLINE   Robin Warren

Robin Warren

Second Unit

• 337 posts

Posted January 10 2004 - 03:36 PM

Buddy system. Never walk at night alone. Check out this site for some awesome info http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

#12 of 42 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 01:29 AM

#13 of 42 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 01:59 AM

Statistically speaking..women with pepper-spray = rape case.

Could you expand on what statistics you're referring to here?
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#14 of 42 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 02:02 AM

ASP or a nice .22.

#15 of 42 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 03:37 AM

Dennis, I was not responding to anything you said. I said put in a report after the fact, that's why I said call the station and not 911. Report there was a man with a knife walking around in the area. You never know when PD's have a file on such a person and maybe are looking for him.

Second, I agreed that classes should come first. Did you actually read anything I said or just automatically assume I was saying you were wrong?

#16 of 42 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 04:00 AM

Quote:
Could you expand on what statistics you're referring to here?

New York State council on "Women in Sexual Abuse" study, 1999. Released by combined reports of the State Police and used in most criminal justice and law enforcment classes at the time. I am not aware of a newer version of the study. If I can find a weblink, I'll post it.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#17 of 42 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 09:16 AM

Best self-defense item? A brain.
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#18 of 42 OFFLINE   James E

James E

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 10:18 AM

These are coolPosted Image
20 Movies i like .

"To thine own self be true. (If not that, at least make some money.)" - Fortune

#19 of 42 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 11:10 AM

New York State council on "Women in Sexual Abuse" study, 1999. Released by combined reports of the State Police and used in most criminal justice and law enforcment classes at the time. I am not aware of a newer version of the study. If I can find a weblink, I'll post it.

Was just curious what, specifically, it said. Your post seemed to allude that girls carrying pepper spray were MORE likely to be rape victims than those who did not, just wondering if this is, in fact, what the study claimed.

-Vince
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#20 of 42 OFFLINE   Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit

• 420 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 11:31 AM

Chuck, what about stun guns or some form of tasers? Are those legal for civilians to carry around?
"-king sixty-three hundred dollar suit! COME ON!" - Gob

John 3:16My DVD CollectionMy CD Collection