What's new

Self Defense Items? (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
My girlfriend went back to college early, called me just now, and said she was approached by a man dressed in black with something in his hand like a butterfly knife. The man let out a creepy 'hey' and my girlfriend ran into her house (where her roommates and a couple guys were hanging out). Luckily, nothing happened, but I am worried. Other than self defense classes, where can one buy pepper spray or mace? What other concelable self defense items are available?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Where does she go to college-locally? Ohio just passed a concealed-carry bill. So she could train up, get a permit, and carry a firearm. Most colleges ban them but she appears to live off-campus. See www.ohioccw.org/ for details. A small double-action revolver is safe in that it isn't cocked and therefore is extremely unlikely to ever accidently fire. There are many firearms dealers in Ohio - I buy from many of them myself. Try Southern Ohio Gun www.southernohiogun.com/ .

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Wow! I can't believe how quick one is to reply with "get a gun!"
If your girlfriend goes to a camping supply store and tells the clerk she is going hiking, she can but bear spray which is like a strong version of pepper spray. That should be a pretty good defense measure.

**Mods, if my response is inappropriate, please delete it**

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Statistically speaking..women with pepper-spray = rape case. I put my vote to "Move to a better neighborhood". Then buy a gun.

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
A pistol on school grounds would not work out well. Best bet would be a gas pistol. Looks like a gun, sounds like a gun, but shoots different variation of incapacitating gas. They are quiet popular in Europe or other places where firearms are altogether prohibited.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
ooo the bear spray...might have to check that out

and for pete's sake! no gun!

now, where can i find pepper spray?

Jason Pancake

Stunt Coordinator
Richard,
Suggestions for self-defense measures were asked for by ChuckC and was aimed at everyone on this forum. Please don't berate others when a suggestion that you don't happen to agree with is made. There are many of us on this forum who do believe that legally owning a firearm is the best means of self-defense. Your post is not only inappropriate for this forum IMO but is insulting to many.

ChuckC,
There are a great many resources online that can help you find the best form of self-defense for you and your girlfriend. For Example:
http://www.americanselfdefense.com/

Firearms and pepper sprays are just a small fraction of what is available for self-defense.

Good Luck ChuckC

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
She could get a CCW permit but a gun in an untrained hand is very dangerous. More likely she get it taken from her. Pepper spray does very little to a motivated person and reacts differently to different people. Some have a hard time breathing hours later and with others it doesn't bother them at all.

Best thing to do is just call the police station (not 911) and report it. Second best thing to do is take some self defense classes at the school, they all offer them usually. Get her to get her friends involved, make it fun.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Steve,
Please notice that I said get training FIRST then get the permit. Getting a permit in Ohio requires training in any case. Dialing the police won't help if confronted with an armed assailant. Running away quickly is better than that. If you called the police on a cell phone, (1) it would take them about 15 minutes at best to respond (i.e. too late to prevent them carving you up) and (2) it is currently not possible to get a geographic fix from a cell phone call (I know, I've written patents for various companies trying to solve this problem in light of the FCC mandate).

Chuck,
Training is the important thing in any case. There is no "magic box" someone can keep in their purse to keep them safe. Your friend will have to spend some time in training no matter what. I suggest then that she join up with a womens' self-defense organization such as Mother's Arms www.mothersarms.org . These will walk her through the alternatives and provide training. Just carrying pepper spray or other "concealable self-defense tools" - with no training it their use - may be not useful and may also be illegal in your jurisdiction. Please check what's legal in your jurisdiction first.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Dennis, I was not responding to anything you said. I said put in a report after the fact, that's why I said call the station and not 911. Report there was a man with a knife walking around in the area. You never know when PD's have a file on such a person and maybe are looking for him.

Second, I agreed that classes should come first. Did you actually read anything I said or just automatically assume I was saying you were wrong?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

New York State council on "Women in Sexual Abuse" study, 1999. Released by combined reports of the State Police and used in most criminal justice and law enforcment classes at the time. I am not aware of a newer version of the study. If I can find a weblink, I'll post it.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Was just curious what, specifically, it said. Your post seemed to allude that girls carrying pepper spray were MORE likely to be rape victims than those who did not, just wondering if this is, in fact, what the study claimed.

-Vince

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Chuck, what about stun guns or some form of tasers? Are those legal for civilians to carry around?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks