Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Premium" movie channels - any letterbox?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted January 10 2004 - 03:40 AM

I'm getting ready to sign up for cable at my new house, and it looks like the best package that they have with Biography is one that includes two "Premium" channels. I was planning on getting HBO because my wife and I like their original programming.

My question is this: do any of the "premium" movie channels ever show movies in letterbox? I'm uninterested in 4x3 pan & scan movies. Should I opt for Starz, Cinemax, or Showtime or does it matter?
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#2 of 7 Brad Porter

Brad Porter

Screenwriter

• 1,757 posts

Posted January 10 2004 - 03:50 AM

Starz has on occasion shown films OAR, but it is not a regular occurrence. HBO has opted for a widescreen presentation of The Sopranos for the past few seasons, but their movies are all pan and scan.

The only regular premium channels that really respect aspect ratio are The Sundance Channel and IFC, although IFC still shows the bulk of it's films P&S (for example, The Minus Man is on right now in 4:3). Also, TCM is very good about OAR, but they aren't a premium channel.

I also seem to recall that Fox Movie Classics had some OAR showings, but I don't receive it now so I can't really confirm that.

I don't think I've ever seen an OAR presentation of a film on Cinemax or Showtime. As far as the "does it matter" question, that's entirely up to you.

I'd recommend both HBO and Showtime for their original programming, but you should continue to get your film watching entertainment from DVD rentals and purchases.

Brad
We apologise for the unnecessary truncation and lack of formatting control in the signature. Those responsible should be sacked.

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

#3 of 7 JohnAP

JohnAP

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted January 10 2004 - 10:09 AM

I've always found it strange that they would broadcast their tv shows in widescreen, but not their movies.

#4 of 7 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted January 10 2004 - 10:16 AM

Quote:
I also seem to recall that Fox Movie Classics had some OAR showings, but I don't receive it now so I can't really confirm that.

Most, but not all, of the broadcasts on FMC are OAR. They get confused at times, though. Recently I watched High Anxiety, which was preceded by the familiar "This film has been modified from its original format" disclaimer. The broadcast, however, was 1.85:1, and the framing looked correct.

Quote:
I've always found it strange that they would broadcast their tv shows in widescreen, but not their movies.

Even the original programming is usually broadcast in a 4:3 alternative, in repeats and on some of the sister channels (e.g., HBO2). After all, this is HBO, the channel that's so committed to the "no black bars" crowd that it prepares specially cropped 16:9 versions of 2.35:1 films for its hi-def broadcasts.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#5 of 7 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,971 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 10 2004 - 10:36 AM

turner's movie channel shows in oar for many movies.
if youhave access to directv you can get hdnet movies they are all in hd and oar.

also hbo-hd shows allmost all wide but very few are oar.

showtime hd is almost all oar.

facebook.com/whotony

#6 of 7 Michael Silla

Michael Silla

Second Unit

• 315 posts

Posted January 10 2004 - 01:13 PM

Not sure if this veers of topic but....

I have been very impresssed so far with Starz!-HD even though the majority of it's offerings have not in fact been OAR. They had a mess of a time getting LOTR;FOTR right last month (they finally did show it OAR) as well as two towers (which they showed 1.78 cropped).

But then they made me happy by showing Top Gun this afternoon. Excellent HD transfer - the movie looked and sounded brilliant.

Well worth the money IMHO.

Michael.

#7 of 7 John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,647 posts

Posted January 10 2004 - 01:54 PM

Flix shows a few letterbox movies every month, but that network's a rather rare commodity.

I third the mention of TCM as well.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

The letterbox Flix flicks are mainly from the UA library.
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

Forum Nav Content I Follow