Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

TPM to be the best selling DVD ever?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   richard plumb

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted October 07 2001 - 06:46 PM

Why not?

People who liked the movie will buy it.

People who like star wars may buy it in the hope that it helps the others come out.

People who are into their HT audio will buy it as a reference disc.

People who are into spotting EE will buy it to critically analyse in great depth.

Show me the Monkey!

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor

• 695 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted October 07 2001 - 07:10 PM

Yes.

------------------
Posted Image

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted October 07 2001 - 07:16 PM

Ultimately, over time, possibly. Immediately, I don't think so. Realize I am a life long fan of all the movies, waited in line 8 hours to be the first in town to see TPM, and will be a multiple buyer of this disc (for family, also). Also realize that I'm a retailer and have been spouting off about this disc for months. I think it will be a strong contender, but I don't think it has the same sort of buzz as Gladiator did. George really did hurt "immediate" sales by waiting so long. However, there are TONS of SW freaks out there (ahem!)

I could be wrong and many people could be hiding their intentions ( I hope so). And I DID order enough to supply a small army.... Here's hoping I'm wrong : )

Matt

------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,287 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 08 2001 - 01:42 AM

I think it will take the record, yes defineately. But only until the next huge release (Fellowship of the Ring or Harry Potter if they don't suck?) comes along. Perhaps even Snow White later in the year, though I doubt it.

------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted October 08 2001 - 05:45 AM

Quote:
Perhaps even Snow White later in the year
Snow White is out already. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to watch it yet, had to watch TPM Posted Image

I think TPM might become the best selling disc but I'm not as sure about this as others. Among families Shrek might do a lot better this year for xmas presents etc. People already have TPM and if their VHS didn't wear out they won't care replacing it (talking about J6P obviously but they matter, especially around xmas). Shrek on the other hand every kid loves and nobody has it yet. I don't know about the long term no.1 but I have a feeling Shrek will take this year's crown.

------------------
- Michael
My DVD collection
- Michael
My DVD collection

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted October 08 2001 - 05:51 AM

Quote:
I have a feeling Shrek will take this year's crown

Me too!

Dan (UK)

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   David Stucky

David Stucky

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted October 08 2001 - 06:37 AM

You know I love fantisy, traditional and digital animation, comedy, re-makes of old hit songs, home theaters, DVDs, and I even liked Shrek.

I just dont see myself ever buying Shrek not until I at least have kids. For me this movie was one of those movies that you watch maybe once or twice at best. After that it will just bore you to death, if not kill you.

The only reason I can personally see buying Sherk is for kids. I think it will sell well, but I am not so sure it will be the hit that everyone seems to think it will be.

Maybe I am just a odd ball.

Thanks...
Dave

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Daniel L

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted October 08 2001 - 06:39 AM

TPM has no chance of being the best selling DVD of all time, and here are the reasons. (This is from a Star Wars fan...)

1. From everything I heard, the run on this disc was somewhat limited (No where near four or five million copies). Why? I don't know, but at least Fox and Lucasfilm wont be sitting on inventory like most studios.

2. There are two many big guns this fall. As almost eveyone pointed out, Shrek is coming in November, and barring a meltdown in popularity, it should come out as the #1 DVD of all time... Until next Xmas, when another summer hit has momentum.

3. Many people are tired of the wait and no longer care.

Daniel L

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted October 08 2001 - 06:44 AM

David,

Those of us on the HTF LA meet the other week were invited to Dreamworks where we saw samples of the Shrek DVD. As I said in another thread I think very few of us left the screening room with doubts in our minds that it would be fall/winters hottest seller. The disc (with a retail of $20 for crying out loud!) is an absolute hoot for all ages, that seems the studio's aim with this title, it has something for everyone. I think upcoming reviews may sway the opinions of many who feel as you do about Shrek on DVD.

"CAKE, eeeeeeverybody loves cake!

Dan (UK)

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted October 08 2001 - 08:35 AM

Dan, isn't that $20 price the MAP???? I'm pretty sure it's been a common misconception that $19.95 is Shrek's retail.

-Tom

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted October 08 2001 - 08:47 AM

Tom, that's not the impression the Dreamworks reps gave us the other week. It drew gasps of surprise from us all.

Dan (UK)

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

• 1,413 posts

Posted October 08 2001 - 08:58 AM

Unless Dreamworks is going to announce a price drop in the next couple of weeks, the MSRP for Shrek will be just shy of $27. That's the price listed on DVD Price Search, Image Entertainment, buy.com, DVD Empire, DVD Planet, Amazon, North American DVD, DVD Grand, CD Universe, and many others, I'm sure.

Still, the Shrek press release says "The VHS will be ownably priced at $15.95 and the DVD will be available for $19.95." If that's the MSRP Dreamworks is aiming for, they might want to let every e-tailer in existence know of the change... Posted Image Then again, maybe that 'available for...' is referring to MAP too...

------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

[Edited last by Adam Tyner on October 08, 2001 at 04:02 PM]

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Ian C

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted October 08 2001 - 09:08 AM

Well, I think that any casual fans might have picked up TPM on VHS already...but the DVD will sell well to those that waited for it. I do think there is a big chance Shrek will out-sell it...at least initially.

------------------

[Edited last by Ian C on October 08, 2001 at 04:08 PM]

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted October 09 2001 - 02:09 AM

Based on the number of posts for people who want it before street date, I would say yes, it will be.

------------------
Neil's H.T. Site
(gateway to H.T.Links + movie images)

Posted ImagePosted Image
------------------
My Favourite Movie

[Edited last by Neil Joseph on October 09, 2001 at 09:11 AM]
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   DarrenA

DarrenA

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted October 09 2001 - 03:29 AM

I would have said TPM would have been the one this year. However, I have seen zero advertising for TPM DVD and it's only one week away from release. I have seen plenty of Mummy Returns DVD and Shrek DVD advertising already. I would likely agree that the runaway Shrek DVD will likely be the big winner for the year, IMO.

Best selling DVD ever will likely remain "The Matrix" for a little while longer.

------------------
DarrenA
The Academy Home Theater
Darren Alcorn
The Academy Home Theater, Atlanta Home Theater Group

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted October 09 2001 - 04:47 AM

Snow White

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted October 09 2001 - 07:09 AM

Monsters Inc. will be the next to hold the crown. Watch and see...

------------------
PJ

Once again, the Bulls have let me down...

Forum Nav Content I Follow