What's new

So i just got a budget to work with... Now what? (1 Viewer)

Sam_Walls

Grip
Well i know i want to build a set of towers for my music/theater. I want to spend around 150 per pair of towers. The 150 would include Speaker(s), Xover's, and tweeters. I already have a subwoofer that i have made. And a receiver that does 100x5 channels.

I was wondering if u guys could help me finding some speakers that work well with tower applications and maybe some blueprints of some other towers. I also want to add some rear speakers in the future as well, so i want a set of towers that will be applicatable with them as well.

I really apreciate any response to this thread. If u need more information about something please ask.

Sam_Walls

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Sam,

I'd suggest going with a pair of Sound Clearing House's K08T23 towers. They're a little over your budget, $180/pr., but I think they're well worth it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's the price for the kit, not the assembled speaker.

Here are some towers by Dave Brown. *
Another set of towers that in your budget. *

-Robert

Sam_Walls

Grip
Cool.. I really like the layout of the the Dayton8. But i was readign and it takes up 4.4 cubes per tower :frowning:. So i was thinkin maybe u could suggest something with a 6.5 woofer or 5.25?

Thanks for the help thus far. It is truely appreciated :emoji_thumbsup:

Sam_Walls

Grip
OK, I have decided to go with 4 of these from Parts Express. (Since I cannot post url's here is the part # 297-350.

Could someone suggest a good tweeter for these woofers. And also help me out with a X-over. BTW i will have 2 woofers and a tweeter per tower.

Should i go ported or sealed. I have a 12inch subwoofer already as well.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Designing speakers isn't like baking a cake.

To use those woofers first you need to build a baffle. Then measure the FR plots of the woofers in the baffle. Then import that data into a crossover design progam and model the desired performance.

One can't just randonly pick and chose drivers based on a whim, and plug then into a generic crossover. That maybe what's done in the car audio world but it won't work for home audio.

So unless you plan on investing hundreds dollars in test equipment and software and hundreds of hours in R&D, start by buying and building a kit that's a known and tested design.

Sam_Walls

Grip
Thanks again.. But the above link with the vifa towers had a crossover that was priced at 220 dollars. :frowning:

I just need something that takes up about 2.0-2.5 cubic feet, Cost around 150 to build, and can be used for Home Theater applications as well as listening.

Im sorry if im being a pain.

Sam_Walls

Grip
Too bad they dont give anymore information about there speakers, I shall email them tonight and see if i can get more information.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Sam,

Did you look at the designs from Dave Brown that Robert posted? there are MTM towers using both 6.5" woofers and 5.25" woofers. Either of these would probably work very well for you.

Also, I think the Vifa tower design included drivers as well in the $220.

Not wanting to invade your thread, but this would have been one of my next, thought I'd save some space ;) My questions is does anyone have any experience with any of the ones listed? So far I like the looks of the Spires and Dave Brown's Designs. Only thing is I didn't notice a tweeter on the Spires, would it matter too much?

Thanks,
Kevin

PS like I said, not trying to hijack or invade the thread, just trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak :D

Sam_Walls

Grip
Hey Brain I totally over looked the links in Roberts thread. I really like the dB515. I think that is what i am going to build.

Just curious.. If i use this design. I used WINISD and it had a flatter response if the box was tuned to 49-50 HZ instead of the initianl 42Hz that he used. Which one should i use?

Also Should i go with a slot port, or stay with the circular port? I think a slot port would be easier to make. Also does it matter if the port is on the front of back of the box?

Also when i build this crossover what should i build it and hold the parts to whatever i solder the parts to?

Heh that is all... For now :D

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I use a piece of pegboard. I use small zip ties to hold the large coils down, solder all the wires and then glue everything to the board with silicone glue. Here's a good article.

-Robert

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
As far as the Spires go, they use a custom 3" driver that is able to cover the range from 150 Hz to 23kHz (measured). Extension in the top end is not a concern. The phase plug helps the cone driver to keep its good dispersion at these frequencies, I think. Many are happy with the precursor to this design, the Super ELF. Those other 3" drivers help add a more solid foundation to the bass. The use of a full-range driver to extend into the treble means that you get great imaging, and no crossover point through the vocal region.

Joe Ku

Stunt Coordinator
Here is what you need

http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...ayton_iii.html

Fits your budget and is reputed to sound great. You can build it as a tower if you want too, just block off the bottom area in the tower so you maintain the correct airspace for the speakers. You can use all shielded drivers too if you desire, I will give you the part numbers if you are intrested.

Another good setup is here

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/sanaka/AudioDIY/DHT/DHT.html

There is now a round frame version of the 5.25" driver used in this project that looks better IMO.

good luck

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I must say, the Stryke stuff is nice-looking, and John (proprietor of Stryke) puts a lot of time into making sure everything's just right. You couldn't go far wrong with the S1-MTM. The small, sealed box necesitates a sub, though. A small sub should provide the nice low end you're looking for. I'm sure people here could also help you with that. You could do an 8" Dayton Quatro driver in a vented box with the Parts Express 120-watt subwoofer amplifier. John seems to have disappeared for the time being, so it might be a while before you get in contact with him. Turnaround time on your order should be pretty short, though, since it's just a kit. A finished speaker would take longer for him to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks