What's new

Console size & shape comparison (picture link) (1 Viewer)

Dan B

Screenwriter
This question gets asked frequently, and I just saw this picture somebody made at the Link Removed , so I put it up on my webspace if anyone's interested. I don't know if it's supposed to be 100% accurate, but it does give you a good comparison.
Xbox, Gamecube, & PS2
-Dan

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Good Lord the X-Box is huge. I knew the GameCube was small, but I had no idea the X-Box was so big.
Corey

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
People were surprised that the PS2 was as small as it was and are going to be surprised in how big the XB is. Its little things like size that would make me choose one console over another if they are both available at the same time and I want them both.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Considering that the PSX and PS2 are the same size and the PSX is small to begin with, and the GCN is about the same size as a DC only an inch or two higher, the XB is huge. I think that making room for it will be difficult, especially for kids who are sticking it in their rooms on the floor.

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
I dunno know Morgan, I think the X-Box might be the choice for kids due to the size. If it will be on the floor of their room it is less likely to get lost in a mess, were as the GameCube might be hard to spot in a mess. :)
Corey

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
The cube looks tall and the box looks fat. If size is a major concern then Sony has already won the console war, but I don't think that a difference of a few inches is gonna play a major role in deciding which one to buy.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I can't imagine that the size of the console is going to be a big issue. As long as the console fits in a standard cabinet, I don't really care.
-Andre F
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
After seening the final Dev kit for the XBox, I must say its NOT THAT BIG. But it is the biggest console since the combo of the Original Genesis and SegaCD 2 together, which was a massive console.
BTW:
I was expecting the 'Cube to be bigger than that, I just find it hard to believe that Nintendo was able to shove all that tech into that tiny box.
[Edited last by Kelley_B on September 09, 2001 at 11:25 AM]

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
LOL! Dean, that pic is funny as all get out! =)
Personally, I don't care how big the XBOX is. Small is nice, but you always have to pay for miniaturization.
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If Nintendo had made the GCN as powerful or more powerful than the XB, it probably wouldn't be much larger than it already is. Nintendo made the console to have all of its parts work together in a new way that was more efficient, so the console takes up less space (and the fan is supposed to be SILENT).

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a Gamecube next to a television.
arts1jpg.jpg

------------------

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I am more and more amazed at the size of the Cube. The picture that Steven_V put up is well impressive. My girlfriend(who lovingly calls it the "pursecube") should now call it the "handbagcube" as man its smaller than most of her handbags.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Holy crap that thing is tiny! It's amazing that something so small could be so powerful. That's a nice piece of engineering Nintendo. Now if only you'd reconsider that whole Zelda cartoon thing...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have been telling people about how small the GCN is since the day I found out about it last August. If Nintendo can make something as powerful as it is and put it in such a tiny package, why is the XB so huge? If Nintendo made a console that took up as much space as the XB because of how powerful it was, it would be more than twice as powerful as the XB. Nintendo, once again, amazes everyone in one way or another.

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
We'll have to wait and see what the final systems looks like, but it's quite possible that a GameCube and a PS2 will fit on a single 17" shelf. :)
Of course I don't know where I'll end up putting an XBox. I'm still waiting to see what kind of games become available. I'm definately not pre-ordering one.
-Alan

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
The XBox design reminds me a lot of the original Panasonic design for their 3DO. That was a pretty large system.
------------------

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Alan-
We already know what the PS2 looks like and how big it is, and the GCN design hasn't changed at all for over a year. I think it'd be safe to say that you could put them both on a shelf (probably have to put the PS2 vertical).
Last year, when I found out about the dimensions of the GCN, I made a model from paper of its dimensions, and it is tiny. If you want to get a rough estimate of how big it is or where it will fit, take a Dreamcast and imagine it a few inches taller. The width and depth are smaller for the GCN, but you will get a general idea of how big it is. You can find the dimensions of it somewhere.
I think the GCN and the DC are both true next gen consoles in that they revolutionize a lot more than just power. The VMU was revolutionary, as is a tiny console that is super powerful. Considering that the DC takes up less space overall than the original Genesis is a pretty cool thing.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Here's a link to a picture of the Gamecube motherboard. It's too bad that there isn't a pic of the PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast mobo right next to it. That's something I would like to see.
Gamecube Motherboard
(I'm not really sure why I'm posting this, just thought everyone should see it)
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks