Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Athena AS-P300 or Klipsch KSW-10

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   JasonMA

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 02:14 AM

My brother has agreed to buy me a subwoofer for my HT setup for my birthday. He works at Bestbuy and can get either of the models stated above for about the same price with his discount, which is a considerable discount. I won't go into actual discount prices here though. We auditioned almost all of the subs at the store and he thinks that the Athena is the best at it's price point (usually it's $299.99, but the Klipsch is $399.99) Remember, they are about the same price with the discount. I liked both the Athena and the Klipsch, however I was really impressed with the tight deep bass that the Athena provided, even though it's only an 8" sub compared to the 10" Klipsch. Of course it could be the setup of the store (both subs were on opposite sides of the HT area.) Anyone here have either of these subs and wish to chime in with their opinions? Just in case it helps to know what the sub will be used with, I have a Yamaha RX-V630 receiver and JBL NSP1 as the speakers. Also my HT is in a 9' x 18' attic. Any help with this decision would be greatly appreciated.
Jason Mathews

My DVD Collection

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Shane K

Shane K

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 02:43 AM

I like the sound quality of the Athena, but IMO the 8" just doesn't have enough guts. You might want to inquire about getting the Athena p400 sub instead. It's the 10" model for around the same retail as the Klipsch. Either way both are good subs and should work well with your JBL's. Ask your brother about Best Buy's customer fullfillment program...this is where he should be able to order the Athena 10". Good luck. Kinger

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Chris A H

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 03:43 AM

I'm with Shane on this one, try and get the AS-P400, it has a gotten good reviews.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   JasonMA

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 04:33 AM

Wow, the AS-P400 did get some good reviews, huh? Basically what that reviewer said about the sound is what I felt the AS-P300 sounds like in the store, except I'm sure there's more punch to the 400. I will talk to my brother and see if that is available to order, because I pretty sure his store does not carry that model. Thanks for the info Chris and Shane.
Jason Mathews

My DVD Collection

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   JasonMA

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 08:38 AM

OK, just returned the 300. I liked the lows that it could hit, but it had very little punch in my HT room. I played well over 50 hours of music and movies through the 300 to try and break it in a little as the Athena manual recommended, then I started running some demos with good bass to check it's performance out. The "Sock Scene" in Monster's Inc. didn't have the same room pressurizing punch that I've heard before. Also, the Seismic charges in AOTC were almost pitiful on this thing. My bro is going to order the 400 today and hopefully it will be in by Saturday. I'll let you guys know how it performs.
Jason Mathews

My DVD Collection

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   JasonMA

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 03:07 AM

Just got the AS-P400 last night and let me tell you, it rocks. I played the scenes mentioned above plus alot of other stuff (Jurassic Park 3, pod race scene, opening war in Gladiator) and it did a darned good job of handling all the LFE I could hit it with. For a 10" sub in the $400 dollar range, this thing does not disappoint. The bass not only plays at a very loud volume on my system, but it's very clear and I didn't notice any distortion. And I haven't even broken it in like the manual suggests. Anyway, I know it's no SVS, but justs wanted to post my opinion on this particular sub for those that may be looking for something in this price range. Eventually this will be replaced by an SVS, but I'd like to build a bigger HT before that.
Jason Mathews

My DVD Collection

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Seth_B

Seth_B

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 10:36 AM

I am jumping in on this late, I know. Glad you are happy with your sub. I saw the title and just had to chime in and let you know that I would not go with the KSW. Looks like you did that anyway. Good. I had a KSW-12 for about a year and was never impressed with it. Boomy, muddy, and bottomed when moderately taxed. Although I have not heard the KSW-10, I imagine that it isn't any better, and most likely worse.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael.M.C

Michael.M.C

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 02:21 PM

Anyone wanting to buy the Athena AS-P400 I bought one recently from radarcity.com for $299 plus $35 shipping. As Jason wrote its a great sub.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Bob_S

Bob_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 05:34 PM

My friend has the ksw-10 and I'll admit, its weak. It has decent sq, not as muddy and sloppy, like the ksw12 I have but its very weak. Its only got a 55watt amp on it. I love klipsch speakers but the ksw subs are a little weak. It doesnt fill the room with much bass either.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   David*RT

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted January 23 2004 - 12:32 AM

I have the As-P4oo. Its a good model as it runs tight and deep. It should integrate well with most speakers. Plus it's good looking to boot. Posted Image

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   cabreau

cabreau

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted January 23 2004 - 01:15 AM

Bob_S
West Haven CT/ Rochester NY

So, is it safe to say that it's "weak"? Posted Image
"...He who knows how to live can walk abroad without fear of rhinocerous or tiger. He will not be wounded in battle. For in him rhinoceroses can find no place to thrust their horn, tigers can find no place to use their claws, and weapons no place to pierce. Why is this so? Because he has no...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users