-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hsu STF-2 not working

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 jon_ad

jon_ad

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 02:55 PM

Just got my Hsu STF-2 last night. It worked great. This morning I tried to use it and nothing. Checked the fuse and it was blown. Changed out the fuse three times and it blew them all out. Any idea what the problem would be.

#2 of 7 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,530 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 08 2004 - 04:40 PM

How do you have it hooked up?

If you got it local, take it back and have them exchange it.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 7 jon_ad

jon_ad

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 01:42 AM

I have it hooked up through the subwoofer out from my receiver (HK 325). Unfortunatley, I bought it direct from HSU so I will have to send it back to CA to get it fixed and I have already waited a month to get it in the first place.

#4 of 7 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,530 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 09 2004 - 03:22 AM

Call them, they may work with you to get you up and running quickly.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 7 Chris A H

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 07:12 AM

They have had lots of QC issues with that sub, see the thread here .

Seems like Hsu is passing long some of their pain to the customer (like the response to "fix it yourself").

Good luck, I decided to return mine.

#6 of 7 jon_ad

jon_ad

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 07:36 AM

I am going to stick it out. They are sending me a new STF-2 and paying for all of the shipping. Hopefully it will work out.

#7 of 7 Sasha_G

Sasha_G

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 01:38 PM

From HSU Research:

The manufacturer of our subwoofer makes subwoofers for numerous famous large subwoofer companies. The procedure they followed in manufacturing the STF-2 is identical to the procedure they used in manufacturing all the other subwoofers. The only difference is the other subwoofers are not capable of producing such high SPL in the low bass, and thus air leaks are not as obvious. We have instructed them to follow special testing procedures for our subwoofers. All future productions will not have this issue. Only about 1% of owners have reported this issue to us or on internet forums.

If you have an air leak issue, there are a few options available:

1. Fix it yourself. This is something very simple and easy to do, and it results in the least down time. You can get it to work properly almost right away. This in no way voids the warranty. See below for instructions.

2. If you purchased it from CompUSA, you can bring it back for an even swap with another unit. If they are out of stock, you can use it until they have it back in stock and then you can bring it in to swap. Have the CompUSA sales person write a note agreeing to let you take it in to exchange at a later time if they do not have stock.

3. We can mail you a replacement driver. The down side to this is the time it takes to ship a driver, and that we won't have replacement drivers for a month because we are waiting for them from China. Please call and ask for tech support at 1-714-666-9260.

Repair instructions:

1. Fix it yourself. From the units we’ve examined, firmly pressing around the outer perimeter of the woofer will seal the leak.

Posted Image

If pressing makes the air leak go away, apply silicon sealant around the outer edge of the woofer, as shown in Picture 2. White wood glue was used only to make the glue easier to see.

Posted Image
Sasha Goodman