Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Elizabeth Taylor DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 02:26 PM

While I am happy with the news of the DVD of Doctor Faustus (starring Elizabeth Taylor) to be released in March, I still wish there was a higher output of her films coming to DVD. Such important movies of hers that are still not availible include:

- Jane Eyre (1944 version, uncredited)
- The White Cliffs of Dover
- Ivanhoe (1952 version)
- Elephant Walk
- Beau Brummel
- RAINTREE COUNTY (high on my list)
- The VIP's
- Reflections in a Golden Eye (co-starring the great Brando)
- Cleopatra DIRECTORS CUT!!!!

These would look great along with her other films on DVD such as Giant, A Place in the Sun and the current Cleopatra.

Andy

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,312 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 05:21 PM

Have you actually seen Doctor Faustus, Andrew?

Taylor's role is a non speaking bit part. Columbia's cover leads one to expect Taylor has a major role. Talk about misleading!

As for Taylor's output yet to see the light of day on DVD, I'd love to see Elephant Walk, Reflections In A Golden Eye, X Y & Zee, The VIPs, A Little Night Music and Ivanhoe

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,396 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted January 09 2004 - 02:05 AM

Raintree Country
Scent of Mysterey AKA Holiday in Spain

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Dmitry

Dmitry

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 02:37 AM

Waiting for Ivanhoe here as well.
My DVDs

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Brian W

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 04:14 AM

Not to mention upgraded transfers/special editions of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe. Shouldn't be unthinkable since Warner's has been releasing new transfers of their earlier DVD releases.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 04:24 AM

Image Entertainment was to release "A Little Night Music" on DVD but the film elements were in pretty bad shape and the release was cancelled.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Darrell Bratz

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 05:03 AM

I'd love Ivanhoe as well (and Jane Eyre, though I certainly wouldn't think of it as a Liz Taylor movie). Other than that, I think Liz has been pretty well-served on DVD, at least in terms of work she should want people to see. Some of the others mentioned here are howlingly bad - Reflections in A Golden Eye? One of the funniest bad movies ever. The VIPs and X, Y and Z are pretty much in the same boat, and what's that other one? (runs to the IMDB)...oh yeah, Secret Ceremony. MST3K material all! Liz was in a run of truly horrific stuff after "Virginia Woolf".

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see them on DVD, but not for polite reasons.

And complaining about the non-availability of a likely non-existent movie (Cleopatra director's cut) is probably not fair to Fox. Whether or not anyone needs an even longer mediocre epic is another question.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,312 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 06:45 AM

Sorry, Darrell, but major disagreements regarding John Huston's Reflections In A Golden Eye and X Y & Zee. Even the severely critical, legendary Pauline Kael, not a Taylor fan, considered Taylor's performance in X Y & Zee superior to her work in Virignia Woolf and called Huston's Refelctions, "sensuous and intense" and regarding Brando said "this is one of his most daring performances".

Still, if you don't get it, you don't get it.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Larry House

Larry House

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 07:05 AM

Quote:
Darrell Bratz wrote:
Reflections in A Golden Eye? One of the funniest bad movies ever.

Posted Image

Does anyone need more of a recommendation than that? Posted Image

Seriously, I have a VHS copy of this taped off of AMC from years ago, it is fascinating, even if it's not "good" in a convetional sense. Maybe it is "good", I certainly enjoyed it!

Just as a point of interest, my understanding is that the original film was released in a sepia or reduced color version, with a "golden" tone broken up only by touches of red. Another experiment with color from John Huston, following "Moulin Rouge" and "Moby Dick". The tape copy that I have is full color, which was how TV prints were made. This is interesting enough to warrant a DVD release. If anyone in charge is reading, we need an SE with both versions, plus commentary from Julie Harris, Marlon Brando, and Liz! Posted Image

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 07:24 AM

Have you actually seen Doctor Faustus, Andrew?

No I haven't but I am looking forward to it. I have heard the Elizabeth's role is very minimal, but when you love her as much as I do, it's still something great to check out! I also have a great respect for Richard Burton's work as well!

Not to mention upgraded transfers/special editions

I would love to see upgraded editions (sometime down the road) of:
- National Velvet
- Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
- Giant (re-issued in anamorphic widescreen)
- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (I am sure she would participate in extras, as this is her favourite film that she made)

Image Entertainment was to release "A Little Night Music" on DVD but the film elements were in pretty bad shape and the release was cancelled.

That's too bad, I would have loved to have owned this movie on DVD! Posted Image

And complaining about the non-availability of a likely non-existent movie

I'm not complaining of the lack of a director's cut for Cleopatra, I would just LOVE to have it someday. I think that with the extra 2 hours added back in, and split into two parts (Caesar and Cleopatra; and Antony and Cleopatra) this could truly be a great film.

Andy

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Darrell Bratz

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 08:18 AM

Thomas,

Quote:
and regarding Brando said "this is one of his most daring performances".

All I can say is:

1. Rent the VHS
2. Put your Crow T Robot hat on
3. Press play and let the fun begin!

Extra shout outs for the whip-pan final shot, the silliest idea John Huston ever had (or at least was willing to commit to film).

Yes, it is a daring performance by Brando. We are very much on the same page there.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 11:15 AM

"I'm not complaining of the lack of a director's cut for Cleopatra, I would just LOVE to have it someday. I think that with the extra 2 hours added back in, and split into two parts (Caesar and Cleopatra; and Antony and Cleopatra) this could truly be a great film."

A director's cut would be interesting but I don't think we can assume the film would be great - I some what doubt it, but the fact is that it would be longer.

Don't forget "The Taming of the Shrew" another post "Virgina Woolf" film which is also very good.

Forum Nav Content I Follow