What's new

The Golden Girls on DVD (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Hey everyone,

I remember mid last year I read on DVDFile that, "The Golden Girls" was to come to DVD I think maybe 4th quarter this year from Buena Vista, which obviously didn't happen. I started a petition quite sometime ago here 9428 have signed so far, which shows some interest to me. Is anyone else on this board interested in having this great comedy on DVD also?

Andy

JohnAP

Second Unit
Seems like with what's been coming out lately, this could definitely happen. I understand the reruns on cable have been doing really well, which probably helps as well.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well enough that I'm sure Lifetime Network would love to postpone the DVD's as long as possible.

Yes, this is my most-wanted TV-on-DVD title. But I'm not holding my breath considering Buena Vista hasn't seemed to want to release any of their shows on DVD.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

They've done really well with Alias and a handful of other shows, plus they have Gargoyles on tap for this year. My bet is that we see The Golden Girls S1 before the year is out. It's the #1 rated sitcom rerun on basic cable, and is so popular that Lifetime organized a successful reunion (minus Estelle Getty who is very ill.)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I would buy this show and I am a young guy... Goes to show the popularity 4 old woman can acheive if done right... :wink:

Besides, I remember watching the show in grade school on Saturday nights (the day it aired I believe). I also remember the show Empty Nest aired right after it...

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'd buy this release, if not for myself than for my mom, but Disney isn't exactly jumping head first in to the TV on DVD market to the extent of a Fox or a WB.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I get the feeling - just a hunch, mind you - that Disney will loosen up the vaults on their TV releases this year. Let's find out if I'm right.

StacyV

Second Unit
I'd recently added Golden Girls to my lists of "wants" on tvshowsondvd.com with my mother in mind knowing how much she enjoyed the show. I was kinda shocked to see it ranked just under the top ten most requested titles. I didn't realize it was that popular.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
They were even watching Golden Girls episodes on an episode of The O.C. the other night.

I'd love to own these.

Commentaries?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I'm sure they could get Betty White and Rue McClanahan, as well as some of the creative team. Estelle Getty is quite ill, though, and Bea Arthur always seems to want to keep the show at arm's length so she'd probably decline. Though I was surprised to see her in the Lifetime retrospective special. I'd have expected her to decline that as well.

I just can't wait to see the complete episodes again. They've edited out a lot of good lines for the sake of syndication/commercials.

Blanche: Why, I have no secrets from you girls. My whole life is an open book.
Sophia: Your whole life is an open blouse!
:laugh:

Claude North

Second Unit
I'd be interested in buying THE GOLDEN GIRLS on DVD. I'm really surprised there hasn't been a release so far.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

I hope you're right Dave!! This show on DVD would be a dream come true for me! I would also love to see a release of the short lived spin-off, "The Golden Palace." This would be great to have, so I can toss away those muddy videos I acquired several years ago.

Andy

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
There happens to be a very valid reason why Bea Arthur wants to keep that show at a distance, and it's got everything to do with Betty White :frowning:

It's a shame really, as I'd love season box sets with all the trimmings, but I doubt the remaining three will be heavily involved.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've never heard anything specific to Betty White, unless she was upset that Bea Arthur pulled the plug on the show at its peak and let her know about it.

The only sort of friction gossip I've ever heard was that the show was pitched to Bea as her being the star, then when all the characters became popular as an equal ensemble, she wasn't real happy. Especially when the Dorothy character was perhaps less popular than the others, and a lot of the humor began to be at Dorothy's expense.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
It all started when I had a run-in with English actress Maureen Lipman in a London shop, her behaviour was to put it mildly, despicable, I relayed the pretty unpleasent meeting to a long term journalist friend, when he mentioned her legendary reputation for being, let's just say an unlikeable person, he said the UK male equivalent was Alan Rickman, whom I then happened to witness for myself on the set of Truely Madly Deeply, not nice!

During the course of the conversation I asked him who's the most hated actor in the US, he spilled the beans on Betty White (He personally knew Terry Hughes, the English director for many of the episodes)& gave me the low down regarding Betty White's behaviour. The on & off set arguments Betty started, resulted in her being asked if she would leave the show, I'm told this was after one particular day when the entire crew were quite verbal towards Betty & her "disgusting" behaviour.

She refused to leave & caused even more trouble, picking on Bea for everything from late line delivery, fluffed lines, incorrect markers on set etc, 99% of the time Terry said it was "plain untrue", Bea was highly professional on & off set. The continued bullying resulted in Bea leaving the show, vowing never to return.
Betty got her wish, with Rue & Estelle just grateful to be working & refusing to take sides.
Betty shot herself in the foot, as most people know the remaining three returned with The Golden Palace, it flopped & was cancelled after the second season.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure how to take that report. I've never heard anyone, anywhere, at anytime, with anything but high praise for Betty White, her talents, and her work ethic.

Besides, if it was that bad, why would the cast and crew continue on at all with "The Golden Palace"? Not to mention the fact that Bea Arthur returned for guest spots in a few episodes. I'd think if it was truly that bad for everyone involved, that they would have let it rest after "The Golden Girls" ended. And if it was that personal between Betty and Bea, Bea would never have agreed to appear on "The Golden Palace," period.

Betty White is a one-woman television institution and if she was such a horrible person I doubt her career would have been so long, and involved so many other talented people, as it has.

I think I'll keep my huge grain of salt handy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks