What's new

Any DVD news on the classic movie: Bad Santa? (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I was wondering if anyone had any news about this title? the surprise hit of the christmas season. I get the impression there could be an unrated version? I could be wrong?

JACOB

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Just because a film is a hit doesn't make it a classic, I mean take a look at garbage films like 'Cheaper by the Dozen' that are huge hits. Not to be a jerk or anything. I was real surprised by 'Bad Santa' though and I'll definitely pick it up when it comes out. I could see there being an unrated version since Disney's doing one for 'My Boss's Daughter' (shudder).

I wouldn't expect it to street until next November though, to tie in with the holidays.

rin

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe he meant classic in the "16 Candles" sense.

MOM: "We forgot your sister's birthday".

LITTLE BROTHER: "Classic".

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
probably become a classic in years to come? that is not the point.. I was hoping someone would have some info about the release?

JACOB

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

I hope you were referring to the remake "Cheaper by the Dozen", because the original with Clifton Webb (A very unappreciated acting talent) is a true "classic". I also agree that just because a film makes a lot of $$$$$$ does not make it a "classic" in the true cinematic sense. I think the word classic gets abused & overused when referring to films.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, probably won't be out until next November. I don't know about "classic," but it's by far the funniest (and rudest) Yuletide movie since "The Ref."

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
That's the thing about holiday themed movies (Bad Santa, The Santa Clause, I'll Be Home For Christmas, Christmas Vacation, Jingle All The Way, It's A Wonderful Life, Elf, A Christmas Story, etc...)...

They only come out at one time of the year, since it revolves around the particular holiday. So if it is in theaters now (or just ened), the earliest that you can epect to see it on video would be in late October or so...

chris*b

Stunt Coordinator
I thought he was kidding with the whole classic thing. Funny movie it was, but calling it a classic borders on being offensive.:D

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

For a movie that only cost $18 million and isn't playing on a tremendous amount of screens and hasn't really had the support of its distributor, that's pretty good.

"Bad Santa" strikes me as one of those movies (much like the "Family Guy" TV show) that's so funny yet so wrong that you can feel your soul descending to hell as you watch it - and yet, you're too busy laughing to really notice or care.

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
Excuse me sir, I saw Bad Santa though funny but Bad Santa is no Family Guy.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
well, maybe it will *become* a classic.

I don't think that "A Christmas Story" would have been considered a classic upon it's release. It's a wonderful Life certainly wasn't either.

In any case...I have no idea about the DVD. Maybe next Christmas season?

-dave

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Unfortunately, I haven't had the pleasure of seeing this one yet. Not one of the theatres in my city played it. I've heard mixed reviews about this one. But being a fan of "toilet humor" comedies, I have a feeling I may get a kick out of it.

As many have stated above, I really can't see this being available on DVD until October or so. Hell, I had to wait a year to get "8 Crazy Nights" on DVD. I'm willing to bet "Elf" will be in the same boat.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Jeff, definitely talking about the remake. The new Cheaper is just terrible and a complete mockery of the original.

I could see Bad Santa becoming a cult classic, something like Nightmare Before Christmas...you know for those of us who hate watching the same Christmas movies over and over each year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks