What's new

Is there any information about the top selling dvds ol all time? (1 Viewer)

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
That's kinda a moving target, because every few months, there is a new champ. I think the current champ is Finding Nemo, and if it isn't, it can't be far behind, and info is a plenty on that one...

What kind of info were you looking for any way?

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
^^^^:D :D
That's good....

I read somewhere that Pirates of the Caribbean was the biggest selling live action DVD.

Mike D

Stunt Coordinator
As of November 17, 2003

#1 - Finding Nemo (15 million units sold)
#2 - Spiderman (12.6 million)
#3 - Monsters, Inc. (12 million)

FWIW, Shrek was #1 in Dec. 2001 with 5.5 million. Since DVD sales are dependent on player sales, a fair comparison would have to take in both numbers. ie. what percentage of homes with DVD players bought a particular DVD?

Are there any charts like this one for DVDs?
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
That would be true if a DVD was only available for a short period. You can still buy Shrek on DVD so if anything it has the advantage of being available for sale longer than some recent releases.

I only wish box office records were kept in the same way video releases are tracked, by volume, not just value. In other words it would be more valuable data to know how many people saw a film rather than how much they spent. This way the all-time box office list would be more reflective on popularity than simple monetary inflation.

While it would be extremely difficult to gather accurate data, it would be even more meaningful if there was a resource that listed films by how many people have seen it (Theater, PPV, VOD, Rental, Units Sold, Broadcast Nielson Ratings, etc). Not likely to happen, but it would be the most accurate resource for which films have been viewed the most times and by the most number of people.

Fortunately in video, they are tracked by number of units sold and not only by total $ sales.

Mike D

Stunt Coordinator

Good point. However as we all know most sales will occur within a few days of availability. I probably should have mentioned that the figure above for Nemo was reported only two weeks after release, and the figure for Shrek after only four. These were the only numbers I could find.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
For those that are truly interested in tracking DVD sales (and other forms of video) you can order reports from Adams Media Research, but they aren't cheap. AMR has been tracking DVD sales since their inception almost seven years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks