Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Project Greenlight: Season Three (merged)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
154 replies to this topic

#21 of 155 OFFLINE   Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 07:48 AM

Saw the first episode via AOL's streaming downloading thingie. Pretty good. My problem is that in my crappy little town, the cable company doesn't carry Bravo. I pay about $70 a month for the whole digital cable and yet still no Bravo. If it was still HBO at least I could pay for it but if they don't carry the station it's on...nothing you can do about it. And my apartment complex doesn't allow satilites. Okay, time to resume looking for a bittorrent.

#22 of 155 OFFLINE   Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 08:01 AM

It looks like the guy who lost will end up being the true winner. check this out.

http://www.bravotv.c....oseley_1.shtml
Nowhere In Mulberry~The Weekly Podcast Commentary of Film, Television and Pop Culture! iTunes

#23 of 155 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 08:18 AM

That's cool. Glad to see that Wes Walked the Walk after Talking the Talk about that script! Posted Image
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#24 of 155 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 16 2005 - 10:15 AM

During the episode, I thought that if the 'losers' could get that close to winning, they must be able to sell their script to somebody. Guess I was right. And it's good to see Craven was there for the right reason of making the best movie too.Posted Image

#25 of 155 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,395 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 16 2005 - 02:25 PM

And the great thing is, Jason's probably right. Having Wes Craven's support outside of the PGL constrictions means that "Wildcard" has a chance of getting a pro director and a realistic budget.
"Feast", by comparison, gets neither. It was the script I was least interested in of the three. Fortunately, the only director with an involving short got the job. The anti-social aspect does scare me, however. Hopefully PGL will change him rather than vice-versa.

#26 of 155 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 02:35 PM

Yeah, the director had the best look in his short, the most potential talent.. but like they said.. highest risk by far.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#27 of 155 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 07:05 AM

I finally watched the premiere season 3 episode, and the tension is already apparent. You have to wonder if Damon was so disgusted that he and Ben just held out until the project was stuck with Gulager just so the show would have a lot of exasperation built into because of Gulager's lack of communication skills and a production team that needs specifics to get their jobs done.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#28 of 155 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 07:32 AM

Can't wait for episode 2! The choosing of a script they all deemed sub-par and a director they all thought was terrible socially creates good drama at least. Posted Image

But even the previous years script winners have basically been told on day 1 "You need to fix the script. It's a mess.", so I don't see a big change there.

Season 3 is off to a great start, if nothing else.

/Mike
/Mike

#29 of 155 OFFLINE   John Mansor

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 08:53 AM

Never saw this on HBO but I will be watching on Bravo. Looks like the Behind the Scenes view I like.

#30 of 155 OFFLINE   Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 10:00 AM

The guy telling them 'you can be replaced' was probably brought up because of the talent they've worked for in the past. In season two the 2 directors wanted a certain Casting decision made 'or they'd walk' and Chris Moore called their bluff and said 'Fine, we can hire a new director.'
Nowhere In Mulberry~The Weekly Podcast Commentary of Film, Television and Pop Culture! iTunes

#31 of 155 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 02:01 PM

One word: IDIOT.

In a preview of next week:

Chris Moore: "Yes we can.. he's FIRED."

Damn you, IMDB.. outside of finding out where this ends (and actually making me interested in it thanks to two castings) it also let me in on something I didn't want to know..

The writers of this thing are working on Highlander: The Source ??? Dear god, no!

My Current DVD-Profiler

#32 of 155 OFFLINE   Jake Gove

Jake Gove

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 03:40 PM

Since Affleck and Damon are rich and get paid 10 million plus per movie, why don't they each chip in 500 grand and give a million to a deserving script and hire a real director to shoot it. This slave to the studios angle seems too contrived when the cocreators of the show could easily finance one of these low budget flicks. Maybe Feast will cost too much, but maybe one of the other "better" scripts would be cheaper to produce.
Jake

I am a producer of The Shark is Still Working: The Impact and Legacy of JAWS. Check it out here:
http://www.sharkisstillworking.com

#33 of 155 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 03:59 PM

This is such a trainwreck, but I can't help to LOL at Gulager's high-functioning autism at work.

I mean, this guy is so out of touch with reality. He definitely lives for the commune, his support system.

Will Gulager actually get a clue along the way? It's no wonder his life has meandered so such, being so myopic is a detriment in this process so far.

I also did peek at IMDB because my curiousity got the better of me. But still, this is another example of PG: the TV show being much more entertaining than any film that comes from this "process".

#34 of 155 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 06:00 PM

That was hard to watch.

John will be fired within the next two weeks. There's just not way they can let him continue. He's really acting as though he doesn't think he could lose the job.

Before this episode, I still had some faith in John because he was able to work with the actors in his short film. But, we find out that they are his family and friends.

~T

#35 of 155 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted March 23 2005 - 12:26 AM

I had to laugh when Gulager's dad had Gulager go cash his paycheck almost immediately (before Dimension realized what a loon his son is).

#36 of 155 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted March 23 2005 - 12:56 AM

Was flipping thru the channels and saw this was on.

What a disaster this is.

They should have gone with the best script.

Dimension deserves what theyre getting.

#37 of 155 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 23 2005 - 03:45 AM

Making this film for $2M is going to be.. uh, kind of a joke. I agree with Wes Craven, would have been a lot easier to make the psychological thriller "Wildcard" for this kind of money then a monster effects film like "Feast"

We'll see how it turns out.
My Current DVD-Profiler

#38 of 155 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,395 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 23 2005 - 06:01 AM

Affleck and Damon have just optioned on their own the other losing screenplay, Does Anybody Here Remember When Hanz Gubenstein Invented Time Travel? for possible production. So I guess Jake called it - they ARE putting their money where their mouth is.

#39 of 155 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 23 2005 - 06:50 AM

Quote:
Affleck and Damon have just optioned on their own the other losing screenplay, Does Anybody Here Remember When Hanz Gubenstein Invented Time Travel? for possible production. So I guess Jake called it - they ARE putting their money where their mouth is.

You notice how Wes Craven takes the option on "WildCard" and puts his $ behind it, and Damon/Affleck option the other film.. but they let Dimension take the risk on this one.. makes you wonder Posted Image I think people bitch about the "not successful" bit but the show easily makes up the $2M, it's just the studio that gets hung out there to an extent.. though you'd think DVD helps save that as well.. and it's good PR for them, a nice little commercial.

I do have a feeling Feast will break even, from IMDB, I like who the cast is and think it -could- be a hoot.. I liked the blogs today; it gave me the thought that this bit with the monsters is going to be a struggle throughout most of the filming.. maybe the biggest problem.

Anyway, still one of the more entertaining shows on the air.
My Current DVD-Profiler

#40 of 155 OFFLINE   chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted March 24 2005 - 03:12 AM

I really like the way that this series is going. Before, when they were deciding solely based on the story/script/directorial talent, it seemed like a very utopian view of how a movie gets made in Hollywood. Now, with such an emphasis on "making money," and the fact that the original schlokmeisters at Dimension are on board, we get to see exactly how much artistic vision is comprimised when trying to balance art and commerce.
I thought that it was a given that Gulager would be picked as director, first off because it just seemed like everyone (including the Dimesion people) loved his short, and the fact that it would help create more tension and conflict with a socially inept but artistically creative director directing a sub-par script. Also, the fact that Wes Craven and Matt Damon seemed to hint at walking off the project unless someone or something of artistic merit was involved probably forced the Dimension people to go with Gulager.

What I found most amusing during the episode was the fact that Matt Damon was so adament about keeping the artistic integrity of Project Greenlight intact, even going so far as hinting at leaving the project, while Ben Affleck seemed to keep entirely quiet. While Damon was saying "I won't have my name attached to this piece of s#*t script," Affleck basically said nothing.