-

Photo
- - - - -

Project Greenlight: Season Three (merged)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
154 replies to this topic

#1 of 155 OFFLINE   Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

• 1,413 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 05:39 AM

From a Bravo press release:

Quote:
MIRAMAX TELEVISION, BRAVO AND LIVEPLANET SET TO MOVE FORWARD ON 'PROJECT GREENLIGHT'

BRAVO TO AIR NINE NEW EPISODES OF THE EMMY NOMINATED SERIES THAT WILL SEE LIVEPLANET AND EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS MATT DAMON, BEN AFFLECK AND CHRIS MOORE RETURNING FOR A THIRD SEASON WITH A REFINED FOCUS

Miramax Television has joined forces with Bravo for a new season of "Project Greenlight," the Emmy nominated filmmaking contest, feature film and warts-and-all behind-the-scenes filmmaking documentary TV series that chronicles the challenges of first-time-writers and directors given the opportunity of a lifetime. For the show's third season, partners LivePlanet and Miramax are hopeful they will be able to create a series and a film that will revolve around a genre script such as horror or thriller (The past two season's films were based on coming of age stories). The agreement with Bravo, which calls for nine, one-hour episodes to air on the network, was announced today by Miramax Co-Chairman Harvey Weinstein and Bravo President Jeff Gaspin.

"'Project Greenlight' has tapped into this country's appetite for wanting to know how a film gets made, with all of the ups and downs that are a regular part of the process and thus we want to continue to bring this compelling series to audiences," said Harvey Weinstein. "Once it was decided to move the show to a network with a broader household reach, Bravo became a clear choice. We are proud to add 'Greenlight' to our wide-ranging relationship with Bravo as we have seen what they have done to create a groundswell for some of their other series and we are confident they will be able to help us create similar interest in this series as well. The potential of a horror or thriller film is a great way to infuse a new angle into the show, just as we did last year by separating the screenwriter from the directors."

"We're thrilled to be partnered with Miramax and producers Ben Affleck, Matt Damon and Chris Moore on the next installment of `Project Greenlight,'" said Gaspin. "We have long admired Miramax's contribution to film and television, and this show represents our companies desire to offer viewers risk-taking and exciting programming. This glimpse into the creative process of filmmaking is a perfect fit for our brand and we're thrilled with the prospect of providing 'Project Greenlight' the kind of elevated platform it deserves on Bravo, as well as adding a new twist by focusing on a genre film."

"Project Greenlight" contest rules and dates will be announced shortly. Plans call for the contest winners to be selected by mid 2004 and the film is anticipated to begin production in late summer/early fall of the same year. The series is slated to begin airing on Bravo in early 2005. For more information interested contestants can log on to www.projectgreenlight.com or www.bravotv.com.

Last season's "Project Greenlight" confirmed the public's appetite to be behind the scenes on a film production by demonstrating an increase in its viewing audience by twenty percent from the show's initial season in 2002. Additionally, the series' producers have been recognized by the Producers Guild of America as nominees for the organization's 2004 Producer of the Year Award in the category of best Reality, Game and Information series.

"Project Greenlight" is executive produced for Miramax Television by Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Chris Moore and Sean Bailey of LivePlanet along with Dan Cutforth and Jane Lipsitz of Magical Elves. William Morris is packaging the series. The agreement for Bravo and "Project Greenlight" was negotiated on behalf of Miramax by Bob Osher, co-president of production, and Alan Duke, executive vice president of business affairs, TV & home video, and for Bravo by Mitch Salem. The series will be overseen for Miramax by Eli Holzman, vice president of television. Executive producers for Bravo are Frances Berwick and Jamila Hunter.

Neat to hear that they may churn out a horror flick.

#2 of 155 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 07:16 AM

I always wondered why they didn't attempt a horror movie. My own aborted attempt at shooting a horror movie, while doomed from the beginning, was fun behind the scenes. Would make a new season of Greenlight worth watching, at least for me.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#3 of 155 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 07:28 AM

That is good news. I think Bravo channel is a good fit for this series. I am sure we can count on Chris Moore to create some tension to keep the audience.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#4 of 155 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 08:32 AM

that is good news, the only scripts I have that are low budget are horror movies.

Still, it'll be hard to get a good horror/thriller past the screenplay competition crowd. If you've taken part in Greenlight before or TriigerStreeet you know that they like to pick very anemic, TV movie stuff. Especially the thrillers.

#5 of 155 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,231 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 08 2004 - 09:16 AM

Quote:
Still, it'll be hard to get a good horror/thriller past the screenplay competition crowd. If you've taken part in Greenlight before or TriigerStreeet you know that they like to pick very anemic, TV movie stuff. Especially the thrillers.
My guess is that the rules of the contest this time around are going to be significantly altered to facilitate horror scripts.

I'm just glad they moved it to Bravo, a channel I get.

#6 of 155 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,782 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 10:04 AM

This will probably end up like that horror movie that Dawson Leery was working on in the last season of Dawson's Creek.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#7 of 155 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 10:26 AM

My guess is that the rules of the contest this time around are going to be significantly altered to facilitate horror scripts.

Yeah, but with the caveat that it must be less than one million dollars budget worthy. But, if you've ever spent any time on Triggerstreet, you'll see that the thrillers (which is the other genre they're looking for and where the majority of entrants will fall under) that do reach the top ten are very trite and uninteresting. Any of the edgier horror scripts they've had in competition there are always dismissed as being too extreme. What wins those peer-judged screenplay contests are always safe choice, TV movie stuff.

#8 of 155 OFFLINE   Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted March 15 2005 - 11:05 AM

Heard a promo for this today.

It's hosted by Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. This season is about amateur filmmakers making a horror movie. Wes Craven is along for the whole season from what I can remember.

Season begins tonight at 9:00 est. on Bravo.

Anyone watched previous seasons?

mike
Playstation Network:
CarpeD1em500

#9 of 155 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 15 2005 - 11:40 AM

Have. Enjoyed them though I felt as though it showed the faults of the system. This year, with a much more defined idea of what they are looking for, I'm rooting for a good product.. part of the problem the last two years was that the show was geared in such a way that it made the product look like it would be crap.. which meant the film was guaranteed to bomb.

This year, since it's a niche product, hopefully there will be enough to encourage people to see it after it's done.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#10 of 155 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted March 15 2005 - 02:09 PM

I watched the show for the first time when Bravo aired all of the first season on Sunday. The best thing about the show was seeing how the producers are involved.

http://www.bravotv.c...t/Video/Scenes/ There you can watch scenes that the directors did. It says they were given an identical scene assignment, but there are different scenes. I thought Tim Clark's video was the best.

~T

#11 of 155 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,231 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 15 2005 - 03:42 PM

Quote:
I watched the show for the first time when Bravo aired all of the first season on Sunday. The best thing about the show was seeing how the producers are involved.
Me too. I didn't catch all of them, but I watched from the baseball rain issue through to the final shot. Interesting, addictive television.

Tonight was good. I loved how indignant Matt Damon, and I was waiting for someone to stand up for the original concept of PGL - to put a unique voice on the market. The script was the one I liked the least, but the director I was rooting for based on the clips actually got chosen. His rabidly anti-social behavior could be a serious problem though. Looks like a great season.

#12 of 155 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,048 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 15 2005 - 03:58 PM

On a positive note, this show is as interesting as ever. It's interesting to see them pick the winners, etc.

It's probably a bad sign when they pick a script that half of them think isn't that good. And it was only the creative people (not the business men) that thought that it wasn't the best script either. What would they know?

I LOVE, LOVE horror movies and to see people want to make a 'funny' B-horror movie is just senseless to me. Horror movies are supposed to be scary not funny. Go watch some cheap garbage by Troma if you want a comedy.

By the way, I'm actually Matt Damon and I'm still angry about the script choicePosted Image

#13 of 155 OFFLINE   Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 01:53 AM

I've watched the first two seasons of this show and the problem I had with those two was that It seemed the directors were picked based on the fact that their exploits and noobness would be good stuff for the reality show and not picked based on their work.

This time they picked an inferior script based on the fact it could be the one that makes money back. Bad start right away the moment you make something you know to be bad just to make money aren't you a whore? LOL.

Seriously though, I picked the guy they ended up picking based on his short film so I'm interested in seeing how he does inarticulate as he may be. I can see already that the Screenwriters are in for a newsflash as they don't know yet just how little most of the panel thought of their script, especially Matt Damon.
Nowhere In Mulberry~The Weekly Podcast Commentary of Film, Television and Pop Culture! iTunes

#14 of 155 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 01:55 AM

Crap! When did they show the episode where they picked the script! Posted Image I hope it repeats.. that was last night, wasn't it Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#15 of 155 OFFLINE   Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 01:57 AM

another thing is, once you see how they pick the screenplays doesn't it pretty much cancel all hope of ever getting yours picked? They picked a script for reasons other than it being good.
Nowhere In Mulberry~The Weekly Podcast Commentary of Film, Television and Pop Culture! iTunes

#16 of 155 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,782 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 02:15 AM

According to TV Guide, Bravo is re-running the episode today around 4 p.m. EST.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#17 of 155 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 04:13 AM

Ah, Dimension, the brilliant minds behind CURSED! I wonder if they would act as smug if this was shot now. But the show is as entertaining as ever, and as I tried to shoot a horror script once, will be interested in seeing what happens when studios and real money is involved in obviously a less than deserving story (can you say FROM DUSK TILL DAWN everyone?).

#18 of 155 OFFLINE   Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 05:50 AM

I thought the fun comment was Afflac saying, "At least the documentary will show how it really works. Everyone says one thing, and the studio does whatever the hell they want".

Interesting choice for director. I'm sure that was edited big time for effect, but still, his interview sucked. Hopefully, he pulls the movie together. His scene is pretty darned good, though.

I loved when Afflac called him and asked him to film his upcoming marriage! That was great.
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#19 of 155 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,511 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 16 2005 - 06:22 AM

4 pm doesn't help us non-DVR workin' stiffs. Anyone know whether it's being repeated at night or on the weekend?
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#20 of 155 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 06:55 AM

Friday night @ 6 and Saturday @ midnight.

Forum Nav Content I Follow