What's new

Movies that promised a sequel but didn't deliver (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Please help. I was trying to compile a list of movies which stated (or implied) that a sequel was forthcoming but didn't deliver.

For example:
The Sword and the Sorcerer -- This sword and sorcery classic from the 80's had a message at the end of its credits which implored the audience to watch for
Prince Talon's continued journey's in "Tales of the Ancient Empire." I'm still waiting for that movie to come out.:D

(Damn I love this movie.:emoji_thumbsup: That sword was awesome and Kathleen Beller was a hottie.:b)

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins -- And the adventure ends too. The producers spoke too soon just like when Seattle Seahawks QB, Matt Hasselbeck, proclaimed, "We want the ball and we will score" prior to throwing a game ending interception in last weekend's NFL playoffs. They should have named the movie "Remo Williams: If You Want More Then Read the Series of Books"

The Lord of the Rings -- The "animated" Ralph Bakshi movie ended on a cliffhanger because Bakshi intended on making another film to complete it. He never did. The producers of "The Hobbit," Rankin and Bass, stepped up to the plate to make "The Return of the King" which picked up about where Bakshi's movie ended.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
My most disappointing was Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, which promised a sequel, with a nude scene for Rachel Ward.

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
History of the World: Part 1 promised a second installment with such segments as "Jews in Space" and "Hitler on Ice." ;)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai promises "Buckaroo
Banzai Versus The World Crime League" in the end credits.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Spaceballs II: The Search for More Money (or The Search for Spaceballs I)

Also, any word on "Meet the Foeckers?"

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Airplane II had "Coming from Paramount Pictures: Airplane III" at the end- could have been a joke though as it was followed by a clip from the movie saying "That's just what they'll EXPECT us to do!"

Making the Grade said "Eddie and Palmer will return in TOURISTA" during the end credits.

Every James Bond movie that I know of says "James Bond Will Return" at the end- I assume they'll keep making new ones forever?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Undercover Brother: I think I heard Eddie Griffin say that another one was definitely in the works, but because of the poor box office return and not that great video sales, I don't think it's going to happen. :frowning:

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator
The Robinson's are still Lost in Space.Bring them home! Wait a minute, this is the movie that had the scene of Will trying to travel back in time and Dr. Smith as some sort of monster. Maybe were better off leaving them out there. :)

James T

Screenwriter
Did Superman IV have that Coming Soon Superman V bit at the end of the credits like the previous Superman movies?

Conan. But both movies ended the same way...but that's another story.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
That was scary. When I saw the thread title, first movie that popped into my head was Sword and the Sorceror. That message about a sequal and not one coming pissed me off when I was a kid.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

No, it didn't, and neither did Superman III either. By the time the third one had come out in '83, Christopher Reeve had publicly stated that he had grown tired of the role and wanted to move on to other projects. By 1985 he had a new agent that got him a two-picture deal with the Cannon Group, one for Superman IV, which by this time he wanted to do but on his terms, and one for a picture of his choosing. The latter project turned out to be Street Smart with Morgan Freeman. Chris had signed to do three Superman pictures but opted in to do a fourth if he could create the story for it. Of course, we all know the troubled history that Superman IV had endured, most notably the trimming of 42-45 minutes of footage from the original 134-minute cut of the film. (45 minutes here for Warner Bros.' U.S. release, 42 minutes for Cannon's overseas release.) Reports began to surface that Golan and Globus had proposed a Superman V for release in the summer of 1989 using some of the trimmed footage from IV along with a replacement for Reeve, but with the disastrous box office results in '87 it never came to be.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Nightbreed
The Rocketeer (Was supposed to be a trilogy)
Doctor Detroit (The end said to look for the sequel - The Wrath Of Mom :) )

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
The 1975 movie Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze advertised for a sequel at the end of the movie called Doc Savage: Arch Enemy of Evil.

Governor Arnold was pegged to play a new Doc Savage in 1999, and Frank Darabont has a script rolling around somewhere, but the project is probably dead now.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
How about Condorman? The end scene really sets it up well for a sequel, which has never materialized (that I know of).

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks