Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Movies that promised a sequel but didn't deliver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
83 replies to this topic

#1 of 84 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 12:29 PM

Please help. I was trying to compile a list of movies which stated (or implied) that a sequel was forthcoming but didn't deliver.

For example:
The Sword and the Sorcerer -- This sword and sorcery classic from the 80's had a message at the end of its credits which implored the audience to watch for
Prince Talon's continued journey's in "Tales of the Ancient Empire." I'm still waiting for that movie to come out.Posted Image

(Damn I love this movie.Posted Image That sword was awesome and Kathleen Beller was a hottie.:B)

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins -- And the adventure ends too. The producers spoke too soon just like when Seattle Seahawks QB, Matt Hasselbeck, proclaimed, "We want the ball and we will score" prior to throwing a game ending interception in last weekend's NFL playoffs. They should have named the movie "Remo Williams: If You Want More Then Read the Series of Books"

The Lord of the Rings -- The "animated" Ralph Bakshi movie ended on a cliffhanger because Bakshi intended on making another film to complete it. He never did. The producers of "The Hobbit," Rankin and Bass, stepped up to the plate to make "The Return of the King" which picked up about where Bakshi's movie ended.
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#2 of 84 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 12:40 PM

My most disappointing was Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, which promised a sequel, with a nude scene for Rachel Ward.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#3 of 84 OFFLINE   Darren Davis

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator

• 248 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 12:54 PM

History of the World: Part 1 promised a second installment with such segments as "Jews in Space" and "Hitler on Ice." Posted Image

#4 of 84 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted January 07 2004 - 12:56 PM

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai promises "Buckaroo
Banzai Versus The World Crime League" in the end credits.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#5 of 84 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 12:58 PM

Flash Gordon ("The End?")
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#6 of 84 OFFLINE   Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 01:05 PM

Dr. Detroit - The Wrath of Mom

#7 of 84 OFFLINE   Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator

• 247 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 02:00 PM

Big Trouble In Little China....

Come on, bring back Jack Burton. (who ? JACK BURTON.

Posted Image

Matt

#8 of 84 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,220 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 02:16 PM

Spaceballs II: The Search for More Money (or The Search for Spaceballs I)

Also, any word on "Meet the Foeckers?"
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#9 of 84 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,039 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 03:15 PM

Airplane II had "Coming from Paramount Pictures: Airplane III" at the end- could have been a joke though as it was followed by a clip from the movie saying "That's just what they'll EXPECT us to do!"

Making the Grade said "Eddie and Palmer will return in TOURISTA" during the end credits.

Every James Bond movie that I know of says "James Bond Will Return" at the end- I assume they'll keep making new ones forever?
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#10 of 84 OFFLINE   Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers

Producer

• 3,481 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 03:18 PM

Quote:
Also, any word on "Meet the Fockers?"

Scheduled for a December, 2004 Release.

Quote:
Come on, bring back Jack Burton.

Just hope it doesn't turn into another Escape from L.A. Posted Image
Top 10 Film Lists: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Film Lists: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

#11 of 84 OFFLINE   Brenton

Brenton

Screenwriter

• 1,169 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 03:47 PM

History of the World: Part 1 promised a second installment with such segments as "Jews in Space" and "Hitler on Ice."
God that was funny!

#12 of 84 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 03:52 PM

Undercover Brother: I think I heard Eddie Griffin say that another one was definitely in the works, but because of the poor box office return and not that great video sales, I don't think it's going to happen. Posted Image

#13 of 84 OFFLINE   DavidLW

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 04:32 PM

The Robinson's are still Lost in Space.Bring them home! Wait a minute, this is the movie that had the scene of Will trying to travel back in time and Dr. Smith as some sort of monster. Maybe were better off leaving them out there. Posted Image

#14 of 84 OFFLINE   James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 05:49 PM

Did Superman IV have that Coming Soon Superman V bit at the end of the credits like the previous Superman movies?

Conan. But both movies ended the same way...but that's another story.

#15 of 84 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 05:51 PM

That was scary. When I saw the thread title, first movie that popped into my head was Sword and the Sorceror. That message about a sequal and not one coming pissed me off when I was a kid.

#16 of 84 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 12:42 AM

Quote:

Airplane II had "Coming from Paramount Pictures: Airplane III" at the end- could have been a joke though as it was followed by a clip from the movie saying "That's just what they'll EXPECT us to do!"

I remember reading that Howard Koch had mulled over a script proposal for an Airplane III - I believe it was in Starlog Magazine that I read it. It's been a good 20+ years, to be honest.

Quote:

Did Superman IV have that Coming Soon Superman V bit at the end of the credits like the previous Superman movies?

No, it didn't, and neither did Superman III either. By the time the third one had come out in '83, Christopher Reeve had publicly stated that he had grown tired of the role and wanted to move on to other projects. By 1985 he had a new agent that got him a two-picture deal with the Cannon Group, one for Superman IV, which by this time he wanted to do but on his terms, and one for a picture of his choosing. The latter project turned out to be Street Smart with Morgan Freeman. Chris had signed to do three Superman pictures but opted in to do a fourth if he could create the story for it. Of course, we all know the troubled history that Superman IV had endured, most notably the trimming of 42-45 minutes of footage from the original 134-minute cut of the film. (45 minutes here for Warner Bros.' U.S. release, 42 minutes for Cannon's overseas release.) Reports began to surface that Golan and Globus had proposed a Superman V for release in the summer of 1989 using some of the trimmed footage from IV along with a replacement for Reeve, but with the disastrous box office results in '87 it never came to be.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#17 of 84 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 12:42 AM

Nightbreed
The Rocketeer (Was supposed to be a trilogy)
Doctor Detroit (The end said to look for the sequel - The Wrath Of Mom Posted Image )

#18 of 84 OFFLINE   Nick Senger

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 01:44 AM

The 1975 movie Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze advertised for a sequel at the end of the movie called Doc Savage: Arch Enemy of Evil.

Governor Arnold was pegged to play a new Doc Savage in 1999, and Frank Darabont has a script rolling around somewhere, but the project is probably dead now.

#19 of 84 OFFLINE   Vickie_M

Vickie_M

Producer

• 3,208 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 02:26 AM

Zero Effect Posted Image
Favorite film of 2008 (so far): The Fall

Favorite films of 2007: There Will Be Blood, Across The Universe, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, Black Snake Moan

My Happy Rhodes MySpace page

#20 of 84 OFFLINE   Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 03:24 AM

How about Condorman? The end scene really sets it up well for a sequel, which has never materialized (that I know of).

Matt
"Do not use to unclog a disposal drain." - On a box of Dynamite (from Joseph Howard)

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow