-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Have two Monty Python & the Holy Grail releases any reason to keep both?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Brian E

Brian E

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 01:55 PM

As the subject says... I've got the '99 and '01 releases of The Holy Grail. Any reason to keep the older one? I seem to remember thinking there was at the time the '01 release came out, but can't think of it now.

Thanks
~Brian

#2 of 9 Mikal Haydn

Mikal Haydn

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 03:01 PM

I think the newer releases have the following problems:
- Swedish subtitle for the "monty python and the holy grail" title missing in the beginning
- english subtitles appearing randomly even when subtitles are disabled
- another error i can't recall...

#3 of 9 Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 03:14 PM

The english subtitle problem was fixed early on, and I haven't heard of anyone getting a bad one at retail for a while. Columbia did offer an exchange for it at the time.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#4 of 9 Matt_H

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 03:48 PM

aren't they two diffrent cuts of the film? I thoght the new release had a couple of seconds more footage.

#5 of 9 RichardCrowther

RichardCrowther

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 08:59 PM

OK, I'm really, really sorry to be dragging up old threads (and for flogging a probably already dead horse to a bloody mass of minced entrails), but, I promise I have done a search and read up a bit, but I still would like confirmation on a couple of things:

1) Am I right in thinking that the first, "MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL" subtitle is STILL missing on all R1 copies of this film?

2) Am I right in thinking that the subtitles for the hard of hearing do not automatically pop up at random intervals now (reading above, this does now seem to be the case - I suppose I'm just making sure there are no "older" copies still floating round)?

3) Am I right in thinking that the R1 DOES include the original, un-tampered with, mono mix (and not just a mono mixdown of the horrible 5.1 re-hash)?

Like I say, sorry for raking over old ground!
Posted Image

#6 of 9 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,461 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 21 2004 - 01:48 AM

The mono track on the SE is the real original mono. The most obvious indicator of this is the original narration audio... since Michael Palin re-recorded it for the SE.

#7 of 9 John CW

John CW

Supporting Actor

• 619 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 06:14 AM

Quote:
The mono track on the SE is the real original mono. The most obvious indicator of this is the original narration audio... since Michael Palin re-recorded it for the SE.

Really?? I have the Region 2 Special Edition. I wonder which tracks that has! Is there a way you can tell without listening to both?

Thanks!
Alphabetti Spaghetti

Elvis returns from the dead to say: "Objectively looking at the world, you're the only people alive on the earth today. All the people who created tradition, created countries, created rules ... THEM #@&%ERS ARE DEAD. Why don't you start your own world while you got the chance?"

#8 of 9 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,461 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 21 2004 - 06:21 AM

Quote:
Is there a way you can tell without listening to both?

Well, in the R1 insert, it lists the original mono track.

#9 of 9 RichardCrowther

RichardCrowther

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 08:46 PM

Quote:
Really?? I have the Region 2 Special Edition. I wonder which tracks that has!

It has the re-recorded version. Some of the music and sound effects have also been dropped/replaced, and the whole thing just doesn't have the same feeling at all. A lot of the humour is lost during those Palin passages, too, since, in the original version, he narrated with a faux serious tone, in the new version, he sounds as if he's in on the jokes, which just doesn't work, IMO.

Oh, and, sorry to disappoint, but ALL the tracks on the R2 have this problem, since the mono/stereo track (I can't remember which it has), is merely a mixdown of the 5.1 track. It's a cheat, and a very upsetting one. If the original mono is on the R1, why couldn't it have been transferred over to the R2 (which came out a lot later)?

Oh, and thanks, Patrick, for the confirmation that the R1 does, indeed, have the proper soundtrack.

I just hope the R1 now has the subtitle put back, otherwise there isn't a single correct DVD version of this film anywhere in the world! And that's sad.

Forum Nav Content I Follow