Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

ET 20th anniversary edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
177 replies to this topic

#1 of 178 Kim Donald

Kim Donald

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted September 29 2001 - 10:15 PM

"ET 20th anniversary edition" is getting a March 2002 release in Theaters Worldwide so maybe there will be a DVD Release to follow. I hope "20th anniversary edition" does not mean that the film will be "redone".
kd

#2 of 178 Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted September 29 2001 - 10:44 PM

Keeping my fingers crossed.
I have a bad feeling regarding this, though...

------------------
- Michael
My DVD collection
- Michael
My DVD collection

#3 of 178 Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted September 29 2001 - 10:47 PM

Well I do know that the dvd will feature next to an dolby track a DTS track as well.
I expect that the dvd will be coming around May next year.
Don't expect any announcement untill we are well in 2002.

------------------
There is another world....The DVD WORLD !!
"So Dark The Con Of Man"

The Da Vinci Code opening Worldwide on May 19th 2006

#4 of 178 Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted September 29 2001 - 11:14 PM

I hope they don't really take out the guns.

------------------
Kyle³
------------------
Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle

Kyle McKnight

#5 of 178 Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted September 29 2001 - 11:48 PM

Just a quick note here.
I just read at DVDFILE that ET should be released by August
next year as is Schindler's List.

Here is the link :
http://www.dvdfile.c....01/indies.html

------------------
There is another world....The DVD WORLD !!
"So Dark The Con Of Man"

The Da Vinci Code opening Worldwide on May 19th 2006

#6 of 178 Jeff Krispow

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts

Posted September 30 2001 - 03:40 AM

Quote:
I hope they don't really take out the guns.

Well, in an interview I read sometime ago (last year?), Spielberg was supposedly quote as saying that all the guns would be digitally removed from E.T and that cell phones would replace them. Something about how Spielberg's mindset changed and how he no longer believe in the use of guns in his films, blah, blah, blah.

While I really hope that he presents E.T. fully intact and without at digital futzing, I seriously doubt we'll see it that way. Look how many times he "changed his mind" about Close Encounters and how many different edits he did of that. I'd like to also think that if he does indeed make the gun changes, that the DVD would have an option allowing the consumer to choose which version to watch (guns or cell phones), but I think the chances of that happening are zero.

Personally, I am SO tired of this constant tampering of films, especially with those Spielberg and Lucas guys. Okay, you made a few films, now LEAVE THEM ALONE. You wanna spruce them up, fine, restore the film, make it look beautiful. But enough of the repeated editorial changes and that horrible digital tampering! Let these films stand on their own merit.

Okay, mini lecture over.

As for what really will happen with E.T., we'll just have to wait and see it with our own eyes. But I don't think there will any changes for the better...

Jeff

------------------
Jeff Krispow
Retired Reviewer
http://www.laserrot.com
jeff@laserrot.com

Jeff Krispow
Retired LD/DVD Reviewer
http://www.laserrot.com
jeff@laserrot.com

#7 of 178 Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted September 30 2001 - 04:26 AM

E.T. flys away in fear of... cell phones! oooo scary!!

There's no way they can make the hands of the agents look natural holding cell phones when they were holding guns to begin with. It'll probably look like the CGI effects in Forrest Gump with the manipulated lips of the presidents.

This is getting ridiculous!!

And yes, Spielberg did say in an interview that it will have a DTS (ES) track to die for.

Dan

------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

#8 of 178 Gavin_L

Gavin_L

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted September 30 2001 - 04:51 AM

did they even have cellphones in 1982, if so weren't they pretty big things if i remember right. Hoping he just leaves the guns in and does not change it

[Edited last by Gavin_L on September 30, 2001 at 11:53 AM]

#9 of 178 Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted September 30 2001 - 06:36 AM

I thought it was walkie-talkies, not cell phones. And I understood that the guns would be removed, not a matter of might. It's ridiculous, I know.

#10 of 178 Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit

• 439 posts

Posted September 30 2001 - 07:43 AM

Quote:
I thought it was walkie-talkies, not cell phones.

well, 80's cellphones pretty much look like walkie-talkies with their bulk size and all-do you remember those things? Posted Image

------------------
Posted Image
superman7g@aol.com

[Edited last by Sam E. Torres on September 30, 2001 at 02:44 PM]

[Edited last by Sam E. Torres on September 30, 2001 at 02:44 PM]

#11 of 178 Mike Russell

Mike Russell

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted September 30 2001 - 07:52 AM

A friend of mine works for ILM and indeed the guns will be removed and replaced with cell phones. According to her, many folks at ILM are just as fed up with type of stuff as us we are. Don't get me started on Jar Jar. George Lucas and Steven Spielberg are really losing it. Greedo shooting first? C'mon george. Han solo is a mercinary. They have both begun butchering their own films for the sake of political correctness. I am only in favor of digital enhancement if they add to the story. These types of changes are ridiculous.

------------------
Be as gentle with the faults of others as you are with your own - Egg Shen.

Be as gentle with the faults of others as you are with your own - Egg Shen.

#12 of 178 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,197 posts

Posted September 30 2001 - 08:01 AM

Quote:
Spielberg did say in an interview that it will have a DTS (ES) track to die for.

How good could it be? It's not like ET is a film that will ever offer demo material sonically. Maybe if Spiely ADDED some guns we could get some Saving Private ET action - that'd rock the house!

------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide

www.dvdmg.com
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#13 of 178 Gilbert Galindo

Gilbert Galindo

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted September 30 2001 - 10:29 AM

Making any major changes like taking out the guns would hurt the movie. I hate that idea. What next Spielberg, take out all the guns in SPR out?

#14 of 178 Jose Q

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted September 30 2001 - 02:18 PM

I can see a Jaws Ultimate Edition being released next year with a brand new ending: they throw a cell phone at the shark and he chokes to death.

This is getting out of control. Leave the damn movies alone!

#15 of 178 Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted September 30 2001 - 03:50 PM

quote:
Something about how Spielberg's mindset changed and how he no longer believe in the use of guns in his films, blah, blah, blah.[/quote]

This is how rumors get started. Unless there are other comments that Spielberg made that I am not aware of, his comments included on the E.T. laserdisc regarding the use of guns, he NEVER said that he no longer believe in the use of guns for ALL of his films.

~Edwin

------------------
2001 Films List Posted Image AFI Top 100 Films Challenge : Countdown: 2 To Go!
Posted Image

[Edited last by Edwin Pereyra on September 30, 2001 at 10:56 PM]
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#16 of 178 SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted September 30 2001 - 04:08 PM

I agree that the guns should be left in - it's a ridiculous notion that they should be taken out. Maybe one of us should write Spielberg a letter voicing our concern in this matter?

------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

#17 of 178 GerardoHP

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor

• 696 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted September 30 2001 - 05:11 PM

Quote:
But enough of the repeated editorial changes and that horrible digital tampering! Let these films stand on their own merit.

HEAR, HEAR!

Gerardo

#18 of 178 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,096 posts

Posted September 30 2001 - 05:17 PM

Yay petition time again, when you submit art to the public forum, it becomes a collaboration between the artist and the observer, for the artist to take back what they once made, remove it from all possible future appreciation, and for the artist to deny that the feelings and opinions made by their previous millions of collaborators upon the 'horribly flawed what was i thinking' work are valid is stupid, self-centered, and mean.

butchreing art for the sake of political correctness is even worse, and a disgusting self abasement that is nothing more than censorship.

[Edited last by Adam_S on October 01, 2001 at 12:22 AM]

#19 of 178 Mark E J

Mark E J

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted September 30 2001 - 07:25 PM

If this happens Spielberg will violate every artistic principle in existence! I'm really getting sick of this. A "director's cut" is one thing, there you are simply putting back footage that was originally part of the film but removed at some point. I completely support this kind of thing, but removing footage or altering footage because you changed your mind or political beliefs years after the fact is not art, creativity, or poetic license. IT IS NOTHING LESS THAN VANDALISM!

Posted Image

[Edited last by Mark E J on October 01, 2001 at 03:41 AM]

#20 of 178 Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig

Second Unit

• 436 posts
  • LocationWeehawken, NJ

Posted September 30 2001 - 11:36 PM

Maybe I'm wrong about this but I thought when a film is chosen for the Library of Congress' National Film Registry, it was automatically protected from any kind of alteration, mutilation, colorization, etc. E.T. is in the National Film Registry. Mr. Spielberg, I'm putting you under citizen's arrest!

--Bill

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow