What's new

Thank You Paramount (1 Viewer)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Just a note to Paramount. Thank you for your wonderful catalogue titles. It is disheartening lately with MGM and SONY just tossing out their old catalogue titles FULL FRAME with lousy transfers. Even Universal's catalogue titles transfers are not good quality even Anamorphic.

Recently I picked up Paramount titles like HUD, THIS PROPERTY IS CONDEMNED, I.Q., DRAGONSLAYER, THE ITALIAN JOB (Original, PLAZA SUITE and the awesome ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. Even though they are old films the transfers are top notch and are in the Original Aspect Ratio. Please do not give in to the Wal-Mart mentality that FULL FRAME is the Aspect Ratio of choice. Thanks Again Martin and Paramount.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Here here!

Thanks Paramount for not going to the dark side, and especially Martin Blythe who is an active participant in this forum.

I would like to see more special editions of catalog titles, but as long as Paramount does right by OAR and A/V quality I'll be happy

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Yes, I'd like to add my thanks to Paramount for their excellent back-catalog releases, and especially to Martin for the time he takes to participate on this forum. He even manages to gives us good news quite often! (just kidding Martin...)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I just purchased BROTHER SUN SISTER MOON. Another wonderful transfer.

Thank you Paramount.

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
Thanks - well, I can return the favor by mentioning a few classics that are on the way for late summer (not that it by any means exhausts the list): The Rose Tattoo, The Black Orchid, Desire Under the Elms, Broadway Bill, Riding High, Come Back Little Sheba, Danger Diabolik, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, The Counterfeit Traitor, The Assassination Bureau, Big Top Peewee, Crazy People, Critical Condition, Heartburn, First Monday in October, White Dawn...

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

Bless you, sir. Could we see the title in R2 as well?

While we're at it, would there be any chance in the future of Ken Annakin's "Monte Carlo Or Bust" (2.35:1 anamorphic transfer, original stereo soundtrack) please??

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i'll certainly be looking forward to ...Sheba.

i'm sure some people are going to be raising a hue and cry over Danger:Diabolik.
i'm very much looking forward to seeing it for the first time, but i seem to recall some talk over some area of contention with previous video versions of this.

well, there are about 4 or 5 titles i'm still waiting for from Paramount (especially a certain Natalie Wood oscar nominated film)-ones that i can't seem to understand why they are taking so long to show up, but i'll try to be patient and just enjoy whats announced :)
i hope Suzie Wong is still on the sched, and Ragtime later in the yr.

ps- i was looking all around town the last few days for BROTHER SUN SISTER MOON but couldn't find one anywhere.
it aggrevates me when studios complain that such and such a catalog title doesn't sell, when i can't find one to actually buy in the first place.

edited to add
Holy Moley! i just did a quick look up of some of the titles listed that i wasn't familiar with.
i just realized that Counterfiet Traitor is the William Holden film i've caught 3 or 4 times on cable..always in the middle of it, and each time i walk away thinking "hey that was a great movie...i hope i can catch all of it next time"
THANKS MB! can't wait to pick that one up!

FrankXS

Second Unit
Martin thanks for the list of coming classics from Paramount. I saw the R2 list a few days ago and it listed the Country Girl which was not on your post. Hopefully this Grace Kelly-Oscar winner will come out also. Interesting that you include Broadway Bill/Riding High. Will that be a Bing Crosby/Frank Capra double feature since Capra directed both (Riding High being the remake almost 20 years apart.)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Thanks Martin,
As I mentioned previously "LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER" would be great to have on DVD.
Also "DARLING LILI " with both the the original version and the reedited one that Blake Edwards did a few years ago.
How about "ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER" with the cut Jack Nicholson musical number as a bonus?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Blythe, a big thanks to you and the studio for such excellent product from me, as well. Why, I won't even bother to mention — *cough* — Robinson Crusoe on Mars. :)

Den*G

Auditioning
yeah, thanks Paramount for announcing MSRP $9.99 DVD's (your cost $5.99 when ordering online) then raising the price to $19.99, forcing all pre-orders to be increased to the new price! (unless you were lucky enough to order from DEEPdiscountDVD, who honored the $5.99 price)

FrankXS

Second Unit
Martin in my earlier post I forgot to mention the Katharine Hepburn/Burt Lancaster film from the '50's The Rainmaker. Reds/Ragtime and the three that Ken just mentioned Darling Lili/Love With the Proper Stranger and On A Clear Day You Can See Forever would also be most welcome. Thanks for all you do !

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Martin, I have a rather odd and possibly dumb question that's been nagging me.

In 2005, when Paramount takes over full control of the Republic Pictures libraries, will Republic still exist as an imprint? Or will the whole company be "retired" and all their subsequent reissues come out as Paramount titles?

It just seems to me that seeing how the former NTA recognized the historical value of the Republic Pictures name and "gave it back" to themselves, it might be worth keeping the brand alive as a separate imprint.
Much like how a certain conglomerate decided to rename themselves for the movie studio they owned, since that division was providing the majority of their profit. ;)

Chuck Shugar

Auditioning
Nearly 10 million viewers in the US saw the ABC TV Movie "The Mystery of Natalie Wood" March 1st. The biopic has also been shown in Australia, east asia, and will air in the UK in April. Today's (3/14/04) New York Times Non-Fiction Bestseller list shows Gavin Lambert's "Natalie Wood: A Life" climbing to 27th, yet we are still waiting for many of Natalie Wood's films to come out on DVD. Particularly odd are the delays in DVD transfers for "Love with the Proper Stranger" (Natalie Wood was nominated for an Oscar for this performance), "Inside Daisy Clover", "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice".

There is obviously an interested audience for Natalie Wood's films, so what's taking so long?

Chuck

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Martin:

You told us in an earlier thread that we could expect Ragtime sometime this year.

Since it was not included in your list here, does that mean it will be much later?

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks