Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Thank You Paramount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 09:48 AM

Just a note to Paramount. Thank you for your wonderful catalogue titles. It is disheartening lately with MGM and SONY just tossing out their old catalogue titles FULL FRAME with lousy transfers. Even Universal's catalogue titles transfers are not good quality even Anamorphic.

Recently I picked up Paramount titles like HUD, THIS PROPERTY IS CONDEMNED, I.Q., DRAGONSLAYER, THE ITALIAN JOB (Original, PLAZA SUITE and the awesome ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. Even though they are old films the transfers are top notch and are in the Original Aspect Ratio. Please do not give in to the Wal-Mart mentality that FULL FRAME is the Aspect Ratio of choice. Thanks Again Martin and Paramount.

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 10:20 AM

I second the thanks! Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 07:55 AM

Here here!

Thanks Paramount for not going to the dark side, and especially Martin Blythe who is an active participant in this forum.

I would like to see more special editions of catalog titles, but as long as Paramount does right by OAR and A/V quality I'll be happy
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 06:46 AM

Yes, I'd like to add my thanks to Paramount for their excellent back-catalog releases, and especially to Martin for the time he takes to participate on this forum. He even manages to gives us good news quite often! (just kidding Martin...)
Bruce Morrison

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 06:04 AM

Thanks Martin and Paramount! Keep up the good work.

Posted Image
Posted Image
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 04:27 AM

I just purchased BROTHER SUN SISTER MOON. Another wonderful transfer.

Thank you Paramount.

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,046 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 05:18 AM

Thanks Paramount for not sucking! Posted Image
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Martin Blythe

Martin Blythe

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 12:16 PM

Thanks - well, I can return the favor by mentioning a few classics that are on the way for late summer (not that it by any means exhausts the list): The Rose Tattoo, The Black Orchid, Desire Under the Elms, Broadway Bill, Riding High, Come Back Little Sheba, Danger Diabolik, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, The Counterfeit Traitor, The Assassination Bureau, Big Top Peewee, Crazy People, Critical Condition, Heartburn, First Monday in October, White Dawn...

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 12:28 PM

Quote:
The Assassination Bureau

Bless you, sir. Could we see the title in R2 as well?

While we're at it, would there be any chance in the future of Ken Annakin's "Monte Carlo Or Bust" (2.35:1 anamorphic transfer, original stereo soundtrack) please??
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Werner_R

Werner_R

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 02:16 AM

Quote:
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold

Excellent news Martin, thank you, I hope to see this one in R2 also !

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 05:07 AM

i'll certainly be looking forward to ...Sheba.

i'm sure some people are going to be raising a hue and cry over DangerPosted Imageiabolik.
i'm very much looking forward to seeing it for the first time, but i seem to recall some talk over some area of contention with previous video versions of this.

Quote:
a few classics that are on the way for late summer (not that it by any means exhausts the list)

well, there are about 4 or 5 titles i'm still waiting for from Paramount (especially a certain Natalie Wood oscar nominated film)-ones that i can't seem to understand why they are taking so long to show up, but i'll try to be patient and just enjoy whats announced Posted Image
i hope Suzie Wong is still on the sched, and Ragtime later in the yr.

ps- i was looking all around town the last few days for BROTHER SUN SISTER MOON but couldn't find one anywhere.
it aggrevates me when studios complain that such and such a catalog title doesn't sell, when i can't find one to actually buy in the first place.

edited to add
Holy Moley! i just did a quick look up of some of the titles listed that i wasn't familiar with.
i just realized that Counterfiet Traitor is the William Holden film i've caught 3 or 4 times on cable..always in the middle of it, and each time i walk away thinking "hey that was a great movie...i hope i can catch all of it next time"
THANKS MB! can't wait to pick that one up!

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 05:31 AM

Martin thanks for the list of coming classics from Paramount. I saw the R2 list a few days ago and it listed the Country Girl which was not on your post. Hopefully this Grace Kelly-Oscar winner will come out also. Interesting that you include Broadway Bill/Riding High. Will that be a Bing Crosby/Frank Capra double feature since Capra directed both (Riding High being the remake almost 20 years apart.)

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 880 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 06:25 AM

Thanks Martin,
As I mentioned previously "LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER" would be great to have on DVD.
Also "DARLING LILI " with both the the original version and the reedited one that Blake Edwards did a few years ago.
How about "ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER" with the cut Jack Nicholson musical number as a bonus?
Ken

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   James L White

James L White

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 06:27 AM

Thanks Martin, a couple guilty pleasures in that list:

Crazy People and Big Top Pee Wee Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Samsung HL-S5688W 56" DLP
Panasonic TC-P50X1 50" Plasma TV (bedroom)
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD's
Panasonic BMP-BD60
Sony BDP300 Blu Rays (bedroom)

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 06:51 AM

Mr. Blythe, a big thanks to you and the studio for such excellent product from me, as well. Why, I won't even bother to mention — *cough* — Robinson Crusoe on Mars. Posted Image

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Den*G

Den*G

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 07:17 AM

yeah, thanks Paramount for announcing MSRP $9.99 DVD's (your cost $5.99 when ordering online) then raising the price to $19.99, forcing all pre-orders to be increased to the new price! (unless you were lucky enough to order from DEEPdiscountDVD, who honored the $5.99 price)

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 09:39 AM

Martin in my earlier post I forgot to mention the Katharine Hepburn/Burt Lancaster film from the '50's The Rainmaker. Reds/Ragtime and the three that Ken just mentioned Darling Lili/Love With the Proper Stranger and On A Clear Day You Can See Forever would also be most welcome. Thanks for all you do !

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 03:07 PM

Martin, I have a rather odd and possibly dumb question that's been nagging me.

In 2005, when Paramount takes over full control of the Republic Pictures libraries, will Republic still exist as an imprint? Or will the whole company be "retired" and all their subsequent reissues come out as Paramount titles?

It just seems to me that seeing how the former NTA recognized the historical value of the Republic Pictures name and "gave it back" to themselves, it might be worth keeping the brand alive as a separate imprint.
Much like how a certain conglomerate decided to rename themselves for the movie studio they owned, since that division was providing the majority of their profit. Posted Image
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   Chuck Shugar

Chuck Shugar

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 05:13 PM

Nearly 10 million viewers in the US saw the ABC TV Movie "The Mystery of Natalie Wood" March 1st. The biopic has also been shown in Australia, east asia, and will air in the UK in April. Today's (3/14/04) New York Times Non-Fiction Bestseller list shows Gavin Lambert's "Natalie Wood: A Life" climbing to 27th, yet we are still waiting for many of Natalie Wood's films to come out on DVD. Particularly odd are the delays in DVD transfers for "Love with the Proper Stranger" (Natalie Wood was nominated for an Oscar for this performance), "Inside Daisy Clover", "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice".

There is obviously an interested audience for Natalie Wood's films, so what's taking so long?

Chuck

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,211 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 13 2004 - 05:14 PM

Martin:

You told us in an earlier thread that we could expect Ragtime sometime this year.

Since it was not included in your list here, does that mean it will be much later?

Mike

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

Forum Nav Content I Follow