-

Photo
- - - - -

Why didn't Elvis ever tour the world?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 08:59 AM

I was suprised to read that Elvis never toured the world during his successful career. The only time he ever set foot in the UK was when his plane stopped at Prestwick airport here in bonnie scotland to re-fuel. I believe Elvis's exact words where "Where the fuck is this place". (Something I have asked myself during my one and only visit there!).

Why did he never tour the world? He was popular worldwide and it seems a shame that for most there was never a chance to see him in the flesh. Can anyone shed light on this? I'd be most grateful. Posted Image

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   Sean Cauley

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 09:07 AM

Well, in his initial popularity in the fifties, I don't think there was much overseas touring at all for American rock and roll acts. I'm not certain, but I think the Beatles were really the act to revolutionize the concept of World Tours; after building up a following at home and throughout Europe, they came to the U.S. and proceeded to hit Australia, Japan, and other locales.

When Elvis got back from the army, he focused largely on recording songs and shooting movies, I think. It wasn't until his legendary 1968 TV special that his live-act popularity was rekindled. Why he didn't spread out farther during the seventies, I'm not sure, but I don't think the rest of you missed out on much, if my dad's report of the one time he saw Elvis live in the seventies is any indication: a sloppy arena performance of less than an hour, starting late and ending without encore.

Anyone with more knowledge (I was less than two years old when Elvis died), feel free to correct anything I've said.

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 09:10 AM

I never even gave this any thought, but I guess you're correct. He did a gig in Hawaii once. I remember it real well because the record of the performance came to my radio station within days of the gig.
No offense meant but it's impossible to get a decent glass of ice tea in Great Britain, let alone specialty dishes like fried banana and peanut butter. And there is not one clue over there about making a good hamburger. The Tupelo Flash liked to eat. Posted Image

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   John Watson

John Watson

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 10:12 AM

I believe it had a lot to do with evil Colonel Tom, the guy who bled Elvis, but as an illegal immigrant to America, didn't want to leave in case he couldn't get back.

Elvis did "appear" in Germany, and Britain, as a soldier and en transit guy, and I know he appeared in Canada. My buddy Bill saw him in Ottawa in '57 or so I believe.

The other biggies toured internationally much more. Tho Jerry Lee was virtually driven out of Britain, because Myra was only 13 or so.

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 10:35 AM

Elvis did tour outside of the US....sort of.

Elvis rocks London's Wembley Arena
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   Brian+H

Brian+H

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 07:18 PM

It was because of the snake known as "Col. Tom Parker"
even though that wasn't his real name.

He always said that there wasn't a place big enough around the world to have Elvis. Market Square Arena in Indianapolis was fine though?? It was bs of course.

Add to that his being an illegal immigrant and there you go.

I've been an Elvis fan since 1985, He's my fav all-time performer, but unfortunately, and this is the hard truth, Elvis didn't have the guts to confront Parker over how Parker was killing Elvis and his career.

Give Elvis excitement in being able to tour the world with ANYONE else managing him, and I'm convinced he would have lived to be at least 50. He died at 42.

It really is the saddest damn story in entertainment history. Tragic, really.

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   anthony_b

anthony_b

Screenwriter

• 1,074 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 04:32 AM

Parker was an ilegal imigrant, and didn't want to travel. So Elvis was "screwed". It wasn't a know fact until the "Colonel" died.
Think before you speak....Peace always

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 05:36 AM

The reason I've always heard was the 'colonel' explanation already given. I'd also heard that Elvis's shows once he hit the 'jumpsuit years' were pretty mediocre.

Quote:
No offense meant but it's impossible to get a decent glass of ice tea in Great Britain, let alone specialty dishes like fried banana and peanut butter. And there is not one clue over there about making a good hamburger.

Iced tea over here is pretty rare (we prefer the stuff hot, and no offence, but that is something Americans cannot make to save their lives). We have our own range of cholesterol-packed goodies to match fried banana and peanut butter - deep fried Mars bars, anyone? Quite right about the burgers, though (having said that, our favourite comfort foods are fish and chips and curry, which again, nobody in the USA seems to have a clue how to make).

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   Julian Reville

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

• 1,197 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 08:03 AM

When did wide-body airplanes come into service?

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 10:32 AM

Quote:
...our favourite comfort foods are fish and chips...

Bless you for those andrew, they kept me alive for 3 weeks.
Those and the pints of bitter. Posted Image

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   Brian+H

Brian+H

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 01:05 PM

Elvis got the 'Lisa Marie' plane specifically for world touring.

Indicating that he had in fact planned on doing that in the future. Meaning: He planned to get rid of 'Col.'

Worst manager in entertainment history. Period.

Elvis was and is the King with one hand tied behind his back.
He could have been and done SO much more.
But the Col. kept him down. And he didn't have enough will to change that.

To go off on another example: Elvis wanted to appear in 'A star is born' reviving his movie career and legitimising it as well. Giving Elvis something to seriously look forward to. But the Col. said "No" because Elvis wouldn't have had top billing. That's why he wasn't in that movie.
If that isn't the stupidest reason.....
God forbid he's in a movie with another well-known actor/actress.
damn the Col...

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 02:35 PM

I wouldn't say he was the worst....if he was we wouldn't know who Elvis was today. He got him to the top of the doggie pile and that's nothing to sneeze at,
But he was a strange one, that's for sure. Where was he from before he snuck in? I can't remember it has been so long
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   Brian+H

Brian+H

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 03:08 PM

He did help Elvis in the 50's, but after '59, forget it.

From '60 to '77 the mismanagement was collosal.
It may have made money, but pissed Elvis off terribly and wasted his talent. That's not the mark of a good manager.

In the '70's the Col. only cared about the money Elvis could make to finance the Col's gambling addiction.
He didn't care one bit about anything else.

I'm sorry, I've followed Elvis' career for many years and anybody who defends him in any way, after '59 has got to look harder.

The horror stories are well-known and bringing up the '50's in my opinion doesn't change anything.

He was born in Holland. Andreas ...something.

When Elvis died, his reaction was 'this doesn't change anything, everything will continue as it was'.
Disgusting.

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 03:02 PM

My only point was that many very talented muscians are never heard of.
I am not the biggest fan of the KING but I do have all of the sun sessions and I have been to Graceland and Tupelo and paid my homage; more than most people. ( my 'Tupelo Hardware' store T shirt "where Elvis got his 1st Guitar" finally gave out and my wife pitched it....DAMMIT)
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   Brian+H

Brian+H

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 07:45 PM

Point taken.
I think Elvis would have been heard of with anyone managing him.

Anyone with a little bit of imagination could have thought of using tv.
Hollywood was a given. The songs that he sang had little to do with the Col.
The Col. actually cut off Leiber and Stoller from collaborating with Elvis.
I don't buy into the whole 'he wouldn't have been as big without the Col.' argument.
the Col. didn't make those songs go to number 1 Elvis did.
Incidentally, the Col. himself told Elvis 'without me you'd be nothing!' And tragically, Elvis believed that.

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   John Watson

John Watson

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 03:34 AM

Whatever his many faults, today is the birthday, so "RIP, Elvis, thanks for the music!"

"Too Much" is playing on one of my cds right now. Posted Image

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm

Second Unit

• 455 posts
  • LocationStockholm, SWEDEN

Posted January 08 2004 - 05:38 AM

Quote:
Whatever his many faults, today is the birthday,

It is actually not just the King's birthday today, but also the Queen's, ie David Bowie's, so here's to both of you Posted Image!
/Mikael

- "Do you indulge in any form of worship?"
-"Life. I love life, very much indeed."
David Bowie interviewed by Russell Harty, 1973

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   Brian+H

Brian+H

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 10:15 AM

Where ever Elvis is I hope he's havin fun!

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 12:50 AM

Great replies people. thanx Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

So the Col. was perhaps the main reason Elvis never done a world tour. Interesting stuff. Can you recommend a definitive book on Elvis's life?
I've been looking through www.elvis.com some really interesting stuff about his life and about future DVD releases (they sound amazing Posted Image ). Elvis has always been part of my childhood due to my dads great taste in music. However now I think I've officially got the bug. Its great hearing Elvis in nightclubs here in Glasgow (not just the remixes, a few clubs play "Suspicious Minds" and "Hound dog"). Beats the hell out of Justin fuckin Timberlake!!!

PS- We don't like Ice Tea here in the UK because it tastes like piss!. I'm sure the King would have liked a glass of Irn-Bru. Posted Image

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   Brian+H

Brian+H

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 06:36 AM

Both of Peter Guralnick's books 'Last Train' and 'Careless Love' are really all you need.

Forum Nav Content I Follow