What's new

Playing MP3s from my PC through my receiver (1 Viewer)

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone might know if a piece of equipment exists that would, in effect, broadcast mp3s played from my PC to my receiver.

The issue is...my whole house isn't networked...and my PC isn't near my receiver.

Anyone know if any sort of "wireless" device is out there to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Mike

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
Does your DVD player support MP3 playback? If so, I think the best solution would be to burn the MP3s toa CD-R and play them directly, you will certainly get the best quality Mp3s can porduce that way (which is not very good, IMO). Mp3s have enough pops and click and compressed dynamic range as it is, adding RF interferance would be less than desirable...

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
For the same price as those wireless solutions you could get one of the new cheap DVD players that does MP3/WMA. The picture quality may stink on them, but the audio quality will be perfect 100% digital anyway, so why not?

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Jeff, I guess it's all about convenience. Of course you can burn a CD. But if you have thousands of tracks on your PC you might like to be able to just browse them right where they're at instead of burning a CD for the ones you want to listen to.

Another option could be to use a portable MP3 player and plug into a receiver with a USB port (like JVC for example).

N

Ron Schildt

Agent
Well if you're also in the market for a DVD player, you might want to check out a Networked DVD player.

I just ordered one last week. A server app runs on the PC that basically organizes all your mp3, avi, jpeg etc files, and sends them to the DVD player via either a wired or wireless connection.

I ordered an Amoi 9200 (A chinese company that actually makes them for other companies)

Also re-badged Amoisonic models from Go-Video, Gateway, and Oritron.

Check out Networked DVD Players

David Rubenstein

Stunt Coordinator
I've been using one of the slimp3 products for almost a year and it's pretty cool. It works great and I believe their new models come with wireless built in (I had to buy the wireless adaptor separately).

It took about 5 minutes to set up and has completely replaced the 300 CD changer that was in our family room.

AlexanderS

Second Unit
Xbox Media Player. Its the only way to fly. You'll need a mod chip to install a larger hard drive but you'll have access to a host of other options with it. Shouldn't cost you more than $50 and of course the hard drive.

Of course, this is all moot if you don't have an Xbox. Then again, why wouldn't you?

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
There are several rack-component type networked MP3 players available. Onkyo makes one I believe. They are not so cheap though. A wireless solution might be your best bet. That is if you can't run a cable. Personally I ran a 20-foot audio cable and with the exception of a ground loop, which I fixed with a GLI, it sounds fine. Of course I spent $40 on the cable and $15 on the GLI. For only a few $ more I probably could have gotten a wireless solution (but I also wanted to run the video so I could watch downloaded movies/etc on the HT).

Al_Swanson

Agent
Bought the Audiotron from TurtleBeach a year ago and love it. The family can all use it. Plus control from your PC should you not like what the kids chose to listen to.
You want funny, let your teenagers have a party then keep changing their rap to Loverboy - all from the computer.
Excellent remote, good quality.

TerryHub

Stunt Coordinator
I'll place another vote for the Audiotron. The only real thing that sets it apart from the rest is the digital output. If your picky about your mp3 quality (I use Exact Audio Copy and LAME to encode 256K VBR)and you want to use the DAC in your reciever, its the only show in town that doesn't cost a fortune and maintains your entire library on your pc. The functionality is very well thought out and easy to use. I even use my Pocket PC to control it through my wireless network. Several people have had success with a simple wirless conection to their pc's (mine is wired).

Just my $.02

Terry,

Unless I am missing something, the Audiotron looks to me like it isn't wireless. Do I need another component to make it wireless?

Mike

GordonL

Supporting Actor
If you don't have one, wireless 802.11b routers/access points are dirt cheap these days. Then all you'd need is a wireless bridge similar to this http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=36&prid=602

Another possibility is a network using HPNA. It uses your phone wiring so you don't have to wire up your home with Cat5. The Audiotron has a model that is also compatible with HPNA.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Michael, if you haven't found a solution yet, visit your local Micro Center and see if they still have this product in stock:

http://www.usr.com/products/device/p...sp?sku=USR6003

I picked it up there for $27 several months ago, though I've since seen it as low as $18. It works quite well, but you of course need to temper your expectations about sound quality if you want to use it for MP3 or streaming audio.

My computer is upstairs, and I stream iTunes stations to my theater room on the first floor. The product description doesn't mention it, but both the transmitter and receiver are capable of using either AC or battery power, if that's an issue. I've never used the FM modulation they mention; the wireless receiver has always been plugged into an auxiliary input on my receiver, which is the ideal connection.

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Michael,

I bought an Audiotron around Christmas time and like it very much. My file server pc is upstairs and the Audiotron is downstairs so I am using a Linksys WET11 wireless access to let the Audiotron talk to my Linksys wireless router. The Audiostation 6 program that comes with the Audiotron is easy to use to rip and organize your CD collection. The WAF for the Audiotron is quite high.
Regards,
TCIII

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
Audiotron is the way to go. My PC is upstairs and the home theater is downstairs, I just use a HPN card to hook it up. All my CDs are in mp3s in the computer's hard drive.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks