Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Twilight Zone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#1 of 70 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted January 04 2004 - 10:35 AM

Are there any hopes that the Twilight Zone Collections will be repacked as Season Sets? The thing that bugs me the most is that some episodes from the Treasures Sets have their airdates superimposed over the episode. Also, it would be great if the next week's promos could be included for every episode, if possible. I would like Season Sets, so I could view them in order and see the progression of the stories as the series went on.

#2 of 70 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,152 posts

Posted January 04 2004 - 02:44 PM

Quote:
Are there any hopes that the Twilight Zone Collections will be repacked as Season Sets? The thing that bugs me the most is that some episodes from the Treasures Sets have their airdates superimposed over the episode. Also, it would be great if the next week's promos could be included for every episode, if possible. I would like Season Sets, so I could view them in order and see the progression of the stories as the series went on.

There was a company that was making all of the TW avaliable, in order, on DVD-Rs, but I don't remember the URL for the site - and they cost $100 more than if you just bought the current Image releases.

If you search for threads on the TW from over the summer, someone actually compiled a list of the episodes in order, crosslisted with what disc each episode was on.

#3 of 70 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,381 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 03:54 AM

Quote:
There was a company that was making all of the TW avaliable, in order, on DVD-Rs, but I don't remember the URL for the site...
That was Another Universe, which is the same company that is dealing with issues stemming from problems during the sale of My So-Called Life for double- and triple-charging credit cards and being slow to credit those back, or to issue refunds for cancelled orders when their "exclusive" MSCL set made it into stores first.

AU no longer offers the Twilight Zone thing, nor does the company that was going to produce it for them. It's gone.

You might find some copies floating around on eBay. Be aware that they don't play in every player.

I would just get the existing sets. The episodes are all stand-alone, so seeing them in a particular order does not enhance the eperience a single bit.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#4 of 70 Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Screenwriter

• 1,223 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted August 02 2010 - 07:27 AM

http://www.tvshowson...2-Blu-ray/14184

Season 2 of TZ on BD

"Submitted for your approval ... a marketing plan that will either drive you batty or broke (while waiting for the complete series on BD.")

I don't blame Image for mercilessly milking us TZ fanatics, but the Definitive series sets left me at a point of satisfaction that will not budge until the complete series is released in one edition on BD with a price point below $130.

#5 of 70 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted August 02 2010 - 01:19 PM

Luckily (for me) I have developed a very high resistance to buying most of the shows I like until prices drop, so although I was tempted around the holidays to buy the first set, I never got around to it, so now I'm just going to continue to wait until the BDs drop to where I think they're in my "buy" zone.

#6 of 70 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,835 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted August 03 2010 - 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic 

http://www.tvshowson...2-Blu-ray/14184

Season 2 of TZ on BD

"Submitted for your approval ... a marketing plan that will either drive you batty or broke (while waiting for the complete series on BD.")

I don't blame Image for mercilessly milking us TZ fanatics, but the Definitive series sets left me at a point of satisfaction that will not budge until the complete series is released in one edition on BD with a price point below $130.

2 months after the first release, now the debate on what can be done for the videotape ep, just waiting for the price to fall on amazon

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#7 of 70 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,063 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 03 2010 - 05:33 AM

Nothing can be done for the taped episodes except an upconversion to 1080i (they can't even do a 1080p upconversion I believe because of the frame rate).

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#8 of 70 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,915 posts

Posted August 03 2010 - 08:01 AM

As I've mentiioned before, They made Kinescope masters on the 6 VT episodes which were used in syndication for decades, Not sure if those were done in 35mm and then reduced to 16mm,or 16mm mastered.

#9 of 70 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,427 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 03 2010 - 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by DeWilson 

As I've mentiioned before, They made Kinescope masters on the 6 VT episodes which were used in syndication for decades, Not sure if those were done in 35mm and then reduced to 16mm,or 16mm mastered.

Can a kinescope be that good though? Whether it's shot on 16mm or 35mm, it's still someone filming a monitor that, while probably state of the art for the early 1960's, is a piece of junk by today's standards. The videotape episodes on the DVD weren't great but, unless there's something special about the TZ kinescopes, I can't see a kinescope being better at all.

#10 of 70 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,835 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted August 03 2010 - 08:03 AM

somone mentioned in another thread about the restorations done on the early Dr Who's most with video, the fact that lowery does do video restoration gives some hope, although all info on images site and blu ray.com doesn't go into everthing yet, i would hope that they offer the versions both ways, video and kinoscope of the six ep.

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#11 of 70 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted August 03 2010 - 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by dana martin 

i would hope that they offer the versions both ways, video and kinoscope of the six ep.

I don't. These shows were made on tape and that's how they should be presented. Besides, a kinescope isn't going to give better image quality than the original videotaped source anyway, just a lower-quality, tape-to-film transferred image.

#12 of 70 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,915 posts

Posted August 03 2010 - 03:14 PM

It would be alot easeir to transfer the kinescopes to HF than upconvert the video tapes.

And on that subject, what is the current state of those masters - did they do any work on them for the DVD season sets?

It may be a technincal issue that opts them to use kinescopes than the VTs - I'm sure someone will find out the answer soon - consitering the press release makes NO MENTION of the VT episodes.

#13 of 70 LeoA

LeoA

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted August 03 2010 - 04:47 PM

It's not rocket science to upconvert a videotape source. It's going to yield a superior picture going with the original videotapes (at probably a lower cost) then transferring old film that was shot pointed at a monitor 50 years ago.

#14 of 70 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,835 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted August 04 2010 - 12:05 AM

Ok going back 25 years to my broadcast engineering courses, the basics of magnetic tape, remember we are not talking the most forgiving format, this isn’t betamax, u-max, what we are probably dealing with is 2” Quad, and as the years progress, the thought that the same operating systems that will actually be able to play the masters are fewer and fewer. That is why the Kinescopes were originaly created, so that as a series went into syndication or for later broadcast on the other coast for shows with live feeds, so that they could be presented.

The problem is unlike dealing with film, where 1080p is a possibility, dealing with a 50 year old magnetic analog tape, and bringing up to modern standards, 1080i is fine on those 6 episodes, as long as they are done correctly. But as I think most of us at one time or another have dealt with some form of video tape we know its downsides, it stretches, humidity plays hell with it, what kind of shape are the original masters in? What are the solutions in the digital age for a dinosaur from the early age of video? That is one of the reasons I brought up the possibility of including both the VT version and the Kinescope version. Think of some of the original films done in 3D, you have a 3D version and a flat version,  that is the way I view these 6 episodes.

Either way I would like for these to be as they originally aired, in the best possible condition possible, for “Night of the Meek” this means I want to hear Merry Christmas at the end.

And I wait on a decent pre-order price on amazon. 

Playing at the Drive In

#15 of 70 ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted August 04 2010 - 04:25 AM

I wonder, if kinescopes are all they have, if something like the Vidfire process used by the Doctor Who Restoration Team on those releases could be brought into play. It wouldn't be the same as the master tapes, but it would do a better job of replicating the experience.

"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#16 of 70 Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Screenwriter

• 1,223 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted August 04 2010 - 05:09 AM

Was that process also used on the "I Cladius" box set re-release, because that video looks exceptionally better than the original release?

Originally Posted by ATimson 

I wonder, if kinescopes are all they have, if something like the Vidfire process used by the Doctor Who Restoration Team on those releases could be brought into play. It wouldn't be the same as the master tapes, but it would do a better job of replicating the experience.

#17 of 70 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted August 04 2010 - 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by ATimson 

Those six TZ episodes have been shown "on tape" in syndication for years, so they don't just have the kinescopes to rely on. At the very least, they have copies of the tape masters.

#18 of 70 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted August 04 2010 - 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic 

Was that process also used on the "I Cladius" box set re-release, because that video looks exceptionally better than the original release?

Wouldn't have been necessary, as "I Claudius" was a standard BBC studi-based drama, for which the videotape masters still existed. VidFire (and its American equivalent, LiveFeed) are really only for use on telerecordings/kinescopes (i.e. film copies of tape masters), so wouldn't have been used on Claudius.

As I understand it, though, Claudius did undergo restoration by the BBC, so it has some work done to it over and above simply blasting it with noise reduction.

#19 of 70 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,835 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted August 05 2010 - 08:29 AM

Season 1 Blu is currently below $64 on amazon

Playing at the Drive In

#20 of 70 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted August 05 2010 - 10:14 AM

I suspect that many of the dropouts on those VT shows were introduced downstream when the mastertapes were being replicated for syndication in the 80s. The smoking gun being how "Night of the Meek" (the only one of the video 6 who's syndication print is a kiniscope) looks a bit better than the other five.

Dropout repair usually requires digital restoration repair since wetgate can't be used on the tapes. Unfortunately Image doesn't seem to have considered that when doing the original transfers for dvd, hence all the mistakes.

Forum Nav Content I Follow