What's new

Directors combined top film lists (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Here's another one of my weird ideas. :)

I saw this book the other day called 101 Greatest Films or some such, and it was written by two people. And I got to thinking about what such a list would look like if it was written by me and Brook. Or Lew and Justin. Or Dome and Walter. Well, you get the idea.

Anyway I thought it would be kind of fun to create a combined list and see if people could guess whose list it was. So, if you'd like to play, send me a private message with at least a top 30 list. Now, I know people have a hard time creating these lists, but the longer you make it, the better this will work. Believe me, a top 50 list where you're not really sure if a film should be #48 or #49 is going to represent you a lot better than just a top 10 list.

Please don't post any lists here. I realize that many of us have top 20 lists in our sigs (which is why I'm asking for at least 30), but the less people know specifically about your lists, the better this will work. For myself, I've got a top 150 list. :)

Assuming there's some interest in this, I'll be posting the first combined list after I get some PMs.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Well, I think my list would be pretty obvious no matter what... :D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
You might be surprised. I've done some fooling around just using different top 20 lists, and with enough overlap on the lists, sometimes neithers top film makes the combined list.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
As long as George is doing all the work, what the heck. :D

I'll work on my list...

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Do you require an ordered list George. I'll be more comfortable with an unordered one, but I'll rank somehow it required.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Sorry if I've been unclear, but yes the lists should be ordered. As I said, the exact ordering isn't really vital, but I do need the order to put the lists together.

The basic idea is that a film we both rank #2 is likely to be higher on our combined list than either of our #1 films, if the other didn't also vote for them. On the other hand, your #1 film not on my list, is likely to still be higher than a film we both have at #50.

This is just for fun, so it's not worth losing sleep over, but if people could just put them in approximate order that would be great.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

Actually you were not unclear—I was just trying to lessen the work.

Ignore my PM, with its unordered list. I’ve got 120 so far to put in some order, other than alphabetical. :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
You now have my ordered list—but this is of course, just how I feel right now. Basically I did not send you anything that I would not rate a masterpiece, so even the film I rank at 120 is still brilliant.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to everyone who has sent a list. Hopefully more will follow. Right now, I anticipate putting the first one up towards the end of the week, probably Thursday.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
So far I have seven lists, and at least 2 others have indicated they'll send me some. Hopefully some others will play. The more variety, the better the combinations I can come up with.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Still working on mine. I should have it to you sometime tomorrow.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I guess I should go ahead and list the people playing so everyone can verify I got their lists.

I have lists from:

Brook K
Alex Spindler
Lew Crippen
Nick Sievers
Angelo M
Erik G
John C. Wilson

and of course, myself.

I have indications that lists are coming from:

Dome
Steve Gon
Simon Lepine

Which is a total of 11 so far.

Oh, and just to be clear, you don't have to send in a list in order to play as far as guessing goes. :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
1 minor point, which won't require anyone to change anything they've sent -

A couple of people have had an entire trilogy in a spot. This isn't really a problem per se, but makes it difficult to line it up with other lists that only list a single movie. In both of these cases, there was also a single movie from the trilogy singled out. That means that while I can line up the trilogy itself across lists, I also have a single film to line up.

I'd prefer single films in the list, but if you do include a trilogy, that's OK, but please also indicate a single film from that trilogy in case the list I'm matching you with only includes a single film from that trilogy.

I hope that's not too confusing, and as I said, there is no reason for anyone who's already sent me a list to send me a modified one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks