Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

combined top film lists

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
115 replies to this topic

#1 of 116 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted January 04 2004 - 12:44 AM

Here's another one of my weird ideas. Posted Image

I saw this book the other day called 101 Greatest Films or some such, and it was written by two people. And I got to thinking about what such a list would look like if it was written by me and Brook. Or Lew and Justin. Or Dome and Walter. Well, you get the idea.

Anyway I thought it would be kind of fun to create a combined list and see if people could guess whose list it was. So, if you'd like to play, send me a private message with at least a top 30 list. Now, I know people have a hard time creating these lists, but the longer you make it, the better this will work. Believe me, a top 50 list where you're not really sure if a film should be #48 or #49 is going to represent you a lot better than just a top 10 list.

Please don't post any lists here. I realize that many of us have top 20 lists in our sigs (which is why I'm asking for at least 30), but the less people know specifically about your lists, the better this will work. For myself, I've got a top 150 list. Posted Image

Assuming there's some interest in this, I'll be posting the first combined list after I get some PMs.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#2 of 116 SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted January 04 2004 - 02:21 AM

Well, I think my list would be pretty obvious no matter what... Posted Image

#3 of 116 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted January 04 2004 - 02:49 AM

You might be surprised. I've done some fooling around just using different top 20 lists, and with enough overlap on the lists, sometimes neithers top film makes the combined list.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#4 of 116 Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted January 04 2004 - 03:09 AM

Sounds like a good idea. Except it looks difficult.

#5 of 116 SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted January 04 2004 - 03:39 AM

As long as George is doing all the work, what the heck. Posted Image

I'll work on my list...

#6 of 116 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 01:49 AM

Count me in--I'll send a PM later.

Interesting and good idea.
¡Time is not my master!

#7 of 116 Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 03:19 AM

Sounds good. I'll try to work out something.

#8 of 116 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 05:54 AM

Do you require an ordered list George. I'll be more comfortable with an unordered one, but I'll rank somehow it required.
¡Time is not my master!

#9 of 116 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 06:12 AM

Sorry if I've been unclear, but yes the lists should be ordered. As I said, the exact ordering isn't really vital, but I do need the order to put the lists together.

The basic idea is that a film we both rank #2 is likely to be higher on our combined list than either of our #1 films, if the other didn't also vote for them. On the other hand, your #1 film not on my list, is likely to still be higher than a film we both have at #50.

This is just for fun, so it's not worth losing sleep over, but if people could just put them in approximate order that would be great.

#10 of 116 Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 06:37 AM

Interesting. I'll give it a shot.

#11 of 116 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 06:47 AM

Quote:
Sorry if I've been unclear, but yes the lists should be ordered.

Actually you were not unclear—I was just trying to lessen the work.

Ignore my PM, with its unordered list. I’ve got 120 so far to put in some order, other than alphabetical. Posted Image
¡Time is not my master!

#12 of 116 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 09:05 AM

You now have my ordered list—but this is of course, just how I feel right now. Basically I did not send you anything that I would not rate a masterpiece, so even the film I rank at 120 is still brilliant.
¡Time is not my master!

#13 of 116 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 10:22 AM

Thanks to everyone who has sent a list. Hopefully more will follow. Right now, I anticipate putting the first one up towards the end of the week, probably Thursday.

#14 of 116 Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers

Producer

• 3,481 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 10:29 AM

How many particpants are in so far, george?
Top 10 Film Lists: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Film Lists: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

#15 of 116 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 12:38 PM

So far I have seven lists, and at least 2 others have indicated they'll send me some. Hopefully some others will play. The more variety, the better the combinations I can come up with.

#16 of 116 SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 04:31 PM

Still working on mine. I should have it to you sometime tomorrow.

#17 of 116 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 10:34 PM

I guess I should go ahead and list the people playing so everyone can verify I got their lists.

I have lists from:

Brook K
Alex Spindler
Lew Crippen
Nick Sievers
Angelo M
Erik G
John C. Wilson

and of course, myself.

I have indications that lists are coming from:

Dome
Steve Gon
Simon Lepine

Which is a total of 11 so far.

Oh, and just to be clear, you don't have to send in a list in order to play as far as guessing goes. Posted Image

#18 of 116 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 04:13 AM

I've sent you a modestly expanded list. Posted Image
¡Time is not my master!

#19 of 116 Cary T

Cary T

Screenwriter

• 1,060 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 04:15 AM

I like making list, so I'll probably send you a list by the end of the day Posted Image

#20 of 116 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 05:45 AM

1 minor point, which won't require anyone to change anything they've sent -

A couple of people have had an entire trilogy in a spot. This isn't really a problem per se, but makes it difficult to line it up with other lists that only list a single movie. In both of these cases, there was also a single movie from the trilogy singled out. That means that while I can line up the trilogy itself across lists, I also have a single film to line up.

I'd prefer single films in the list, but if you do include a trilogy, that's OK, but please also indicate a single film from that trilogy in case the list I'm matching you with only includes a single film from that trilogy.

I hope that's not too confusing, and as I said, there is no reason for anyone who's already sent me a list to send me a modified one.