Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Mummy returns - rent or keep, or avoid?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#21 of 28 SpenceJT

SpenceJT

Second Unit

• 337 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted October 04 2001 - 12:17 AM

If you can stomach the poorly done CG ending scene, the movie is great (albeit brainless) fun. Pure escapism, and one hell of a fun ride.

I'd watch Rachel Weiss in ANYTHING! Posted Image

...but that CG, uhg! THAT should have been left on the cutting room floor and written off as "test footage"!

Just my .02, but I've added this title to my collection, and will undoubtedly upgrade if and when an "Ultimate Edition" is released.

Spence

------------------
SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

"...now what's all this crud about no movie tonight!"
- Thank you Mr. Lemmon

[Edited last by SpenceJT on October 04, 2001 at 07:18 AM]
SpenceJT

My DVD Collection
"Someone tries to kill you - you kill 'em right back!" - Capt. Mal Reynolds "Serenity"

#22 of 28 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted October 04 2001 - 01:54 AM

Well, I rented it yesterday and ..............

I should have avoided it. Yeccchh!!!

orangeman

------------------
Neil's H.T. Site
(gateway to H.T.Links + movie images)

Posted ImagePosted Image
------------------
My Favourite Movie

Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#23 of 28 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,174 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 04 2001 - 01:59 AM

I quite enjoyed the first one; I also enjoyed the second one, but Mummy Returns is not as good as the first. So if you didn't like the first, then I don't think you should bother even renting the sequel.

#24 of 28 Mike Myers

Mike Myers

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted October 04 2001 - 04:25 AM

Wait for the Ultimate Edition or whatever Universal's gonna release. I made the mistake of buying the initial release of Mummy and had to buy the UE again.

------------------

#25 of 28 Gary Kellerman

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted October 04 2001 - 09:23 PM

Even though I bought the disc for $16, I would say, RENT before you buy. Walmart had both P&S and WS versions available. When I opened the WS package, I found the disc damaged because the plastic holder had broken into pieces. I did watch the widescreen disc. I found it hard on my eyes in leterbox form.
I went back to Walmart and started shaking WS boxes. To me, all the WS boxes rattled. I believe that before Walmart puts them on their shelves, they take out the disc and put a security tag in the case. Then they put back the disc and seal it with a security tag notice of sticky tape. I shook the P&S boxes which had no rattle. The reason is that the disc holder was stronger and different in design. I took the P&S figuring it would be easier on my eyes. It was better, but it is the type of photography on this film that is irritating.

I found the D.D. track to be rather loud and somewhat shrill on both editions. To be sure about the picture and sound quality, I compared it to a P&S D.D. version of 'THE LOST WORLD. Its' picture and sound quality were on target(both are UNIVERSAL releases).

I did not like THE MUMMY. THE MUMMY RETURNS starts off sort of hodgepodge but settles down into a non-stop popcorn flick. The surround sound was somewhat better than the first but not up to snuff of other films I have heard and what should be of this genre. There are ocassionally some nifty surround effects, but LOST WORLD "surround sounded" better.

#26 of 28 Brad_W

Brad_W

Screenwriter

• 1,361 posts

Posted October 05 2001 - 01:41 AM

Quote:
I quite enjoyed the first one; I also enjoyed the second one, but Mummy Returns is not as good as the first. So if you didn't like the first, then I don't think you should bother even renting the sequel.
__________________________________________________ ______

I'm sorry Dave, but what the hell are you talking about? What you said really didn't make any sense.

Again, I apologize for the harshness.

By the way, the original post-er has since seen the movie, but I still say avoid.

------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)

My Home Page http://www.geocities...ternix/DVD.html

#27 of 28 John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted October 05 2001 - 01:43 AM

Saw them both, bought them both, loved them both. Buy it.

John
Long Live XBox and DVD!!

#28 of 28 Robyn Young

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted October 05 2001 - 01:53 AM

I guess I'm also in the minority here in that I saw both and liked both. I actually liked The Mummy returns a little better. As far as the disc goes, I've seen both the widescreen and fullframe versions, and thought the fullframe version cut much of the information out.

Having said that, if you like that kind of movie, you might just buy it. If not, rent it.

Robyn Young
If you've enjoyed this half as much as we've enjoyed bringing it to you, then we've enjoyed it twice as much as you.