What's new

Mummy returns - rent or keep, or avoid? (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Just how good or bad is this title. I did not really like the first mummy but I heard this one was better. I thought the first one was a bit too campy and dumb, nowhere near as good as Indiana Jones. I don't expect #2 to be as good either but how do others feel about it?
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
surely there are tons of mummy 2 reviews everywhere....
hell, there are numerous mummy2 related threads here- from what they seem to say, it sounds liek you definately don't want to rent it...

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Don't rent, Don't buy, avoid at all costs. Unless, you can view it for free.
If you didn't like The Mummy (like me, though I hated it), you won't like The Mummy Returns. Lame. The Mummy Lames? The Lame Returns? my opinion.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

AaronJB

Second Unit
Rental, plain and simple. Fairly nice disc (yes, supplements are promotional), but the sequel is not as enjoyable or character-focused as the original. The idea was obviously to make it bigger than the original, but it becomes an assault of mixed-quality CGI.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
I saw The Mummy Returns for free with the coupon from the Ultimate Edition of the first movie and I still felt suckered.
And yes, I even sorta liked the first film.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I really liked the first one, and also really liked the second one (saw them both in the theater). Of course, I bought both.
A strong dissenting opinion to the 'this movie sucks' feelings.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Regardless of the film's appeal, Universal will more than likely release an Ultimate Edition. So if you don't mind waiting.......
------------------
-Dwayne
[Edited last by Dwayne on October 03, 2001 at 11:14 PM]

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Both movies were supposed to be campy. It isnt really supposed to be Indiana Jones (raiders is my favorite movie of all time) which in parts is pretty campy I guess. They are great popcorn type movies. I and my family really enjoyed both. To answer your question..... if you are unsure rent it(if you can find a rental place with the widescreen edition BB & Hollywood I guess are both carrying just the P&S) Its a fun rolic.
------------------
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
What shocks me is the agony some people go through over a $19.95 purchase ($15.95 on sale). This is not a $1,500 speaker or receiver purchase. Heck Neil....you used to buy everything anyways!
wink.gif

My thoughts are if you have to ask the question then just rent it. Plus opinions on movies vary soooo much.
[Edited last by Chris Maynard on October 03, 2001 at 11:37 PM]

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
It is an acquired taste, so rent. I'll give in to the movie being terrible plot wise, but it is also entertaining because it does not take itself seriously for a second.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Rent. I found it to be a lackluster summer movie, and nowhere near the movie the original was, plotline or action wise (if that doesn't say enough, I don't know what will).
I can't imagine anyone would want to keep it after seeing the ending.
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The first one was better. I saw the second one by using the free ticket. Sometimes during the second one I expected the witch from H.R. Puf'n Stuf to show up any second riding her rocket powered broom!! :) I would say rental only!!.....and only if it was CHEAP!!
------------------

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Oh, it's a must have in anyone's DVD collection. I thought both were extremely great titles and were very comparible to that of an Indiana Jones. As the Mummy Returns was a great sequel to the First and The Temple of Doom blew chunks. I'm more impressed with the 2nd in the Mummy Series. Ha, that makes no sense at all...
But to be honest, I was impressed with the video transfer. I thought the picture looked overall better than average. I wasn't too impressed with the DD track. It seemed a bit redundant at parts and seemed as if the surround speakers weren't doing much of a job. I give the audio track about a 6.5 out of 10 and video about a 7.5 out of 10.
The Mummy Returns should definitly be in you collection and I suggest purchasing it. But be aware, if you did not like the first... You will not like the 2nd.
------------------
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
"I thought both were extremely great titles and were very comparible to that of an Indiana Jones."
Bite your tongue.
"Oh, it's a must have in anyone's DVD collection."
Not in mine, it aint. Unbearable dreck, full of shoddy CGI and a script that's up there with the esteemed work of Ed Wood Jr..

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Neil, I have seen both and still don't really like either. We did buy the first one on DVD (the first release), the only thing that could have incised me to buy this one is if it had an amazing EX/ES track. I'm reading mixed reviews has of yet on the audio! Think I will pass for now, too many other great releases coming up soon!
Wes

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
A mixed bag.
Some good ideas, and some bad ones. Some really amazingly beautiful CGI scenes, mixed in with some truly amateurish hack quality CGI scenes.
Rental. (Although I did buy it for my own reasons, but it is not for everyone)
If you MUST see this movie and are a OAR fan, you may be forced to buy it because many rental outlets are only renting the Pan&Scan version.
[Edited last by Sean Oneil on October 04, 2001 at 04:03 AM]

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Avoid at all costs. Well that's not entirely true. I wasn't going to buy this one but when I saw a doorcrasher sale on it for $14.99 CDN (a good deal as it's usually $24.99) I thought about grabbing it. Then I thought about it again and decided to put it back.
I too went and saw this one for free on the ultimate edition ticket and still felt cheated. I suppose if you have to see it then an OAR rental would be ok. Just don't buy it unseen. I liked the first Mummy but not this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks