What's new

N64- Goldeneye. Worth it? (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I can get a N64 and Goldeneye for about $28. Is it worth it?

I played Goldeneye at a buddy's house once long ago. I never has a N64 before.

Tony_L

Grip
If you only just got an N64, then Goldeneye is certainly one of the games to get, although I personally preferred Perfect Dark (a newer game by Rare, improved on Goldeneye).

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Well worth the price! Then you can load up on fantastic games like Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, The World is Not Enough, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Jet Force Gemini, Super Mario 64 and many more.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Price-wise, it's worth it. But, if you have become used to playing games on any newer system, it's quite a bad shock going back. My brother and I have been playing a ton of Nightfire lately (on both Xbox and Gamecube). We used to love Goldeneye, so we dragged it out the other day to play it. I was so dissappointed with the graphics and movement. Plus, when you aren't used to the N64 controller, it is tough at first. Overall, it was very dissappointing. Sad too, I have such great memories of playing the multi-player for hours on end.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Yeah going back to play Golden eye and Perfect dark is a little odd. The graphics and such used to look a lot better at the time.

capt

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I would recommend Goldeneye over Perfect Dark. I have and enjoy them both, but even in one-player mode, the framerate in Perfect Dark is so choppy that the game is often rendered unplayable - forget about the higher difficulties, because the extra enemies onscreen often push the FR down to 10 fps.

That said, in theory Perfect Dark does improve on the multiplayer experience substantially.

I've noticed that when you play the older N64 games long enough, you get used to the "less refined" graphics. And when you move back "up", you get to be pleasantly shocked all over again at the great PS2/XBOX/Cube graphics. :D

steve

Scott W.

Second Unit
Totally worth it!! I was way into GoldenEye the movie, so playing all the levels on the N64 was wicked!! It's definately one of my all time faves for all systems! That, Metroid Prime and FF2.

Scott

Alanna

Second Unit
Its worth it only if you don't mind 'a blast from the past'. I find that 3d games from this era are just too painful to play. Choppy, soft and smudgy graphics and headache inducing framerates...eek, and on a first person shooter no less. The game was great at the time, but I tried this one again about two years ago and it just doesn't hold up. And I love my classic systems and games... an Atari 2600 and an Intellivision are in my collection. =)

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
You can't go wrong for $28. There are lots of great games for the N64, but it will be a shock going back to the old school 64-bit graphics. I've wasted many an hour on that one. If you like wrestling, WCW Revenge is a great one. All other titles mentioned are good as well as is Mario Carts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks