Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

A 17 minute Lord of the Rings Promo dvd coming Oct.10, with a catch....

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted October 04 2001 - 05:31 AM

This came from www.cinescape.com I wonder if they will sell it seperately later?:

DVD News
RINGS Promotional DVD
DVD Player comes with bonus LORD OF THE RINGS material.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dateline: Wednesday, October 3, 2001

By: FRANK KURTZ
By: News Editor
Source: TheOneRing

Starting on October 10, the Official New Line Shop will beging selling an unusual licensing tie-in to the upcoming LORD OF THE RINGS: FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING.

The DVD player will be packaged in a box covered with RINGS promo art and pix. In addition, packed in with the player will be an exclusive 17-minute DVD "featuring behind the scenes footage about the making of THE LORD OF THE RINGS."

TheOneRing.net provided details of what the DVD contains. It's five chapters are as follows:

Chapter 1 - Middle-earth Down Under
Images of New Zealand and the film's sets.
Chapter 2- Imagining Middle-earth
Chapter 3 - Creating Middle-earth
Chapter 4 - Characters of Middle-earth
Chapter 5 - The One Ring

The current selling price on the item is $199.95.

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted October 04 2001 - 06:30 AM

I myself am curious about this. I am certain all relevant parts of this DVD will appear on future DVD versions (coming in 2002 or maybe 2004), but onering.net did say it was a very enjoyable DVD. I am torn b/c I own too many players as it is, so I can't justify it that way. However, I was considering getting my parents a DVD player for X-Mas. Think they'd mind the tacky box missing the DVD Posted Image
There is always the ebay route, but I am cerain it'll run between $50-100. More thoughts to follow. Any other thoughts or recommendations??

Take care,
Chuck

------------------
He had a plan. Maybe you just didn't see it 'til it hit you between the eyes. But, it started to make sense... in a Tyler sort of way. No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.

Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor

• 506 posts

Posted October 04 2001 - 08:07 AM

I have this player on pre-order. Figured I needed another player anyway got tired of the PS2 in the bedroom. If anyone is interested I can post a review with some screen shots. Let me know.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   HenrikTull

HenrikTull

Second Unit

• 470 posts

Posted October 04 2001 - 08:14 AM

Uhm..? Just wondering about something? Why not save your hard - earned cash and download it from a ftp - server or something? Seems pretty darn brutal to actually pay that much just to get a promo fluff piece that lasts 17 mins.

------------------
A Little Slice of Heaven
A Little Slice of Heaven

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Owen Allaway

Owen Allaway

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted October 04 2001 - 12:14 PM

Is it a decent DVD player, though?

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted October 04 2001 - 12:35 PM

http://www.hometheat....ML/031029.html

This topic was discussed here earlier. If you need a second player this seems like an alright deal. I am guessing the materials put out on this DVD will probabl be found on a future DVD release and probably just be promotional fluff.

J

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted October 04 2001 - 03:44 PM

Quote:
There is always the ebay route, but I am cerain it'll run between $50-100.

Yep, my thoughts exactly! It's bilking time on eBay!

------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted October 05 2001 - 01:18 AM

I have decided that my parents are getting a JVC DVD player for Christmas Posted Image

It is a decent player for them, and a nice disc for me.

And I get my fiancee to pay for half!!

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Rob Varto

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor

• 714 posts

Posted October 05 2001 - 01:50 AM

What a sucker deal this is!! Why don't they just sell the stupid disc for $10 and donate the money to a good cause? Believe me, Im not into LOTR (but Im sure Ill see the movie based on hype alone) but I am a SW geek and there is still no way you can get me to make a major purchase for a 15 minute clip of a movie coming in two months!!
1. Steal Underpants
2. ???
3. Profit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users