What's new

The Fugitive (1963) (1 Viewer)

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard if they're ever going to release this show on DVD?

It's got of be one of the best TV dramas ever produced. The acting, direction, pacing were all just about movie caliber compared to today's standards.

Ever since A&E stopped showing it I haven't been able to see it anywhere. Are any episodes even available on VHS? (I think A&E offered a "best of" set...or was that Columbo??)

Anyways I voted for it on Gord's site.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I have never seen a full episode of this, but have seen snippets of this.

How many seasons and episodes were there ?

:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
^^The Fugitive lasted 4 long seasons (30 episodes per year) and made 120 episodes. The last season was in color.

"The Judgment," the two-hour series finale, aired in the summer of 1967 and was one of the highest rated TV finales of all-time.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I believe there were some LD releases that are long OOP. I'd buy this in a NY minute.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
"The Fugitive" (1963-1967) has long been near the top of my "Most Wanted On DVD" list.

Just a great TV series, with the best episodes being those that actually show Lt. Philip Gerard (the great Barry Morse) physically on-screen, chasing his prey (Dr. Richard Kimble -- David Janssen, who could do more with a subtle "twitch" than anyone on TV :)).

As someone eluded to (above), A&E (in 1995) had the rights to air the show on its network. I managed to tape 72 episodes on VHS just before their contract to air them expired. (The last several weeks of airing them, A&E would "bunch" them together, showing 4 to 5 per night on the weekends! Which was great for piling up some eps. on tape.)

I also have the 8 tapes put out by Republic Pictures.

Amazon still has some used copies available it seems.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Paul, we appreciate the support!

Unfortunately, if Paramount is working on this show for DVD, then they are doing an excellent job of keeping it a secret from us!

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Not only would I love to own the original show on DVD, but also the 2000/2001 remake with Tim Daley.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
From TVShowsOnDVD ........

>>> "Grapevine Stuff: Original Series Coming to DVD?
Posted by David Lambert
1/20/2004

A bird whispered in our ear that The Fugitive (the original series) might be quietly in-the-works for DVD. Now, this *could* just be a rumor (especially since that show wasn't among the titles Paramount mentioned at last October's TV-on-DVD Conference, like Mission Impossible was), but then again perhaps it's really real. We don't know...right now we would consider this a "rumor", and recommend that you try not to get *too* excited until the studio confirms. Our thanks to Brent for tweeting at us."

------------------

:emoji_thumbsup:

:)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
If David Vp's post is indeed true I will be a very happy man.

Im only 30 so I wasnt alive when the original show aired but I caught alot of reruns on A&E and loved it.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yeah...me too Matt. A&E had broadcast rights in 1995. After that, the series seemed to fade from view completely (via ANY channel). :frowning: (Glad I taped a bunch during A&E's '95 run. But upgrading to DVD for the complete uncut shows will be a no-brainer here. :))

I might also point out that "The Fugitive" (1963-1967) had a fairly-healthy running time per episode of 49 minutes (give or take). Not bad by 2004 standards. :emoji_thumbsup:

I base that figure on the run times of the "Republic Pictures" set of very good "Fugitive" episodes put on video in the 1990s. (These videos even have a "Stereo" soundtrack.)

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
The following was posted to the Fugitive yahoo list:

This weekend Barry Morse stated in an interveiw that he, Jacquline Scott and Joseph Campenella (SP?) have been
asked to do autocommintation on the dvd's for the first season. If they start now the dvd's might be ready by 2005!

Um, that's the original spelling, I didn't change anything. :)

Keeping my fingers crossed for a set of Fugitive DVDs... and I wouldn't mind a box set of the one season remake with Tim Daly, either. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Matt (and other "Fuge Fanatics") might be interested in knowing the episodes that we'll be seeing in a 'Fugitive-Season 1' release, when it does finally come (and this classic series is yet another "oldie but goodie" that's simply too fine a show to remain without proper DVD season-by-season treatment forever).

Season one (1963-1964) had many great episodes, several with Lt. Philip Gerard (Barry Morse) physically chasing Dr. Richard Kimble, which are highlights of the series.

Some of my faves from Season One include Ep. 19 ("Search In A Windy City"), where Kimble first encounters the elusive 'one-armed man'. And the two-parter called "Angels Travel On Lonely Roads", with Eileen Heckart guest-starring as a nun.

As a trivial side note -- When/(if) we get the DVDs of this series, eagle-eyed observers will no doubt take note to the error on both of the Part 1 and Part 2 title cards that are shown on screen for these episodes, where "Lonely" is misspelled (as "Lonley"). :)

Season One Episodes:

1. Fear in a Desert City - Kimble is an innocent man accused of murdering his wife.
2. The Witch - Vicious child's play could cost Kimble his life.
3. The Other Side of the Mountain - Kimble teams up with a young girl (Sandy Dennis) in a dangerous mountain trek.
4. Never Wave Goodbye-part 1 - Kimble tries to hook the one-armed man in Los Angeles.
5. Never Wave Goodbye-part 2 - A match is the only thing standing between Kimble and permanent freedom.
6. Decision in the Ring - Kimble lands center ring when he gets involved with an ailing boxer. Ruby Dee co-stars.
7. Smoke Screen - A forest fire turns up the heat for Kimble.
8. See Hollywood and Die - Kimble is taken hostage by two trigger happy hoods.
9. Ticket to Alaska - Kimble is aboard a luxury liner for murder on the high seas.
10. Fatso - Kimble finds friendship on the run with a kind rancher (Jack Weston).
11. Nightmare At Northoak - Kimble's heroics during a school bus accident may cost him his freedom.
12. Glass Tightrope - The wrong man is accused of murder and only Kimble can clear him.
13. Terror at High Point - A construction boss (Jack Klugman) tries to patch up his marriage with Kimble's help.
14. The Girl From Little Egypt - A freak automobile accident puts Kimble's secret in jeopardy.
15. Home Is The Hunted - Old family loyalties could mean the end for Kimble.
16. Garden House - The stakes are high for Kimble when a family fortune is on the line.
17. Come Watch Me Die - In a curious case of role reversal, Kimble becomes a lawman.
18. Where the Action Is - Kimble becomes a pawn in the feud between a tyrannical hotel owner (Telly Savalas) and his daughter.
19. Search In a Windy City - Kimble heads to the Windy City for a blow out with the one-armed man.
20. Bloodline - A terrible family secret puts Kimble's freedom on the line.
21. Rat In a Corner - A two-bit thug (Warren Oates) puts the stranglehold on Kimble.
22. Angels Travel on Lonely Roads-part 1 - Divine intervention saves Kimble from capture.
23. Angels Travel on Lonely Roads-part 2 - Kimble and a kind nun gamble on his freedom.
24. Flight From the Final Demon - A righteous sheriff (Carroll O'Connor) has a long memory for faces.
25. Taps For a Dead War - Kimble's army past comes back to haunt him.
26. Somebody to Remember - Kimble concocts a daring scheme to throw Lt. Gerard off his trail..for good!
27. Never Stop Running - Kimble is faced with trying to save a kidnapped boy who has been hurt.
28. The Homecoming - Kimble is caught in a bitter family struggle. Gloria Grahame and Shirley Knight co-star.
29. Storm Center - Kimble weathers a hurricane to avoid capture.
30. The End Game - Lt. Gerard moves in for a picture perfect arrest.

Complete "Fugitive" Episode Guide.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Paula for that news! Fabulous. (Commentaries yet!) :emoji_thumbsup:

I'd love it if they could persuade Kurt Russell to do commentaries for the two episodes he was in -- "Nemesis" (Ep. 35 in Season 2), where he plays Phil Gerard, Jr., and "In A Plain Paper Wrapper" (Ep. 89 at the end of Season 3), where he buys a rifle (mail order, a la Lee Harvey Oswald :)) and tries to capture Kimble.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

damn.
that seems like a long ways off (yeah, i know its only a little more than 11 months to '05- it just seems long).

i'm not as big a fan of tv product as a lot of you guys here, save for a titles here and there, but i would snap up the Fugitive the minute it streets.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The London-born Barry Morse will be 86 on June 10th of this year. But evidently he's remained in great health, and has kept working.

Barry also appeared in one of my favorite "Twilight Zones" too ..... "A Piano In The House" (February 1962, a year before he started running after David Janssen).

Glad to hear about the lovely Jacqueline Scott getting involved in the DVDs too. :) I've liked her in everything she's been in, including Cliff Robertson's wife in the debut episode of "The Outer Limits", which, by coincidence, aired exactly one day before "The Fugitive" made its premiere.

Just realized, also, that Jacqueline was in the elusive (DVD-wise) "Duel" in 1971, playing Dennis Weaver's wife.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Oh man, I hope this news is true! A possible 2005 release would be fine with me, as I still have to play "catch-up" on a few other currently-available TV-on-DVD products, namely:

AVENGERS '63: Set 3
AVENGERS '63: Set 4
DANGER MAN Set (the half-hour version)
LOST IN SPACE: SEASON 1
STINGRAY Set (Supermarionation)
TWILIGHT ZONE Vols. 13-18, 37-43
TWILIGHT ZONE Set 2
TWILIGHT ZONE Set 3
SIMPSONS: SEASON 3
ROCKY & BULLWINKLE: Set 1
MR. BEAN: THE WHOLE BEAN Set
LEXX: SEASON 2, Vol. 1
SPACE GHOST COAST-TO-COAST
MST3K: HELLCATS
MST3K: THE CRAWLING HAND
MST3K Set 2
MST3K Set 3
HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
FAWLTY TOWERS Set

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I certainly hope Paula's news (re. commentaries) is true. However, another member of that "Fugitive Yahoo Forum" stated .......

>>> "I was the person who asked the question at the panel discussion if anyone knew of 'Paramount Videos' plans for a 'Fugitive' DVD release, and I saw nothing but heads shaking in a no response from the panel, but Ed Asner stated; "It'll wind up on DVD, ...everything will wind up on DVD.". That's the only feedback from the panel I remember."

I hope Ed's right. About "The Fugitive" AND about his own series, "MTM".

http://www.geocities.com/starparty1/morsefugitive/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NateofCA
Recent bookmarks